• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Orion Test Run

WoodCore

After viewing RootDKJ's posts on his various culinary expeditions I picked up an Orion smoker the other day and other than the first burn to clean the oven tonight is my first attempt at actually cooking/smoking some grub. Cooking a whole chicken (5 lbs) with two red potatoes and a foil pocket of baby carrots up on the top grate. I lined the drip pan with aluminum foil, added a can of beer and lined with mesquite chips. If everything works out tonight, I may volunteer to cook the turkey for the family this coming thanksgiving!

Orion0007.jpg

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
That's how I did my first chicken! Mesquite chicken is awesome. You're going to enjoy that.

If my Aunt didn't have 1st dibs on turkey, I'd be doing it instead of a ham. Let me know if you have any questions.

drjeff

Congrats Woodcore, the Orion is awesome!

I'm thinking at some point, a pic of your Orion fired up with your home snowmaking system fired up in the background would make a seriously cool pic! :)

serious stoke..I think I'm going to have an Orion on my Balcony pretty soon..whether it's allowed or not..I don't care..after seeing Roots corned beef TR..I want one..

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I did two of them! I have another 4 pound corned beef in the freezer waiting to be cooked. We'll have to see how things shape up in the next few weeks.

WoodCore

WOW! Everything came out tasting great! The chicken was super moist and pealed right off the bone and the potatoes where done to perfection regardless, the carrots ended up being the steeze! Can't wait for the next chance to fire up the Orion.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Careful, it becomes addictive very easily. Skiing helps offset the cravings though.

Congrats on your 1st cook!

drjeff

We've been talking about getting a smoker for awhile now, after reading these posts and getting hungry again right after dinner, I think this spring we're going to get one!

Just noticed on Orions' website that Lowe's has just been added as a place you can buy one :)

Contemplating getting a duck to put in the Orion tommorrow :)

drjeff

I will say that so far, what has reallly impressed me with the Orion is how easy it is to cook great tasting meat with it. Literally just put even some basic seasoned salt on the meat, place it in the Orion. Load the 2 charcoal rings with a 15lb bag of Charcoal(add some wood chips and/or liquid if desired), light and return in the set amount of time that they recommend. Voila, done. Tasty. Easy. No flipping the meat.

I think that mine is going to put an appearance in for tailgating at the Patriots/Steelers game Sunday. 3 or 4 racks of ribs in about an hour and 15 minutes :)

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Just noticed on Orions' website that Lowe's has just been added as a place you can buy one :)

Contemplating getting a duck to put in the Orion tommorrow :)
WARNING - the one at Lowes is only the Turkey cooker and doesn't have the rib hangers!!!

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Root...you're creating a bunch of monsters! Good work! :beer:
Thanks! I'm still amazed on how well the product works. Taste is believing though.

Anyone post overthere yet? One person from PASR posted a TR but said he's only an AZ lurker.

drjeff

WARNING - the one at Lowes is only the Turkey cooker and doesn't have the rib hangers!!!

Good FYI there Root. Going to de-virginize the rib hangers on mine this weekend! :)

And from lurking on the Orion forums, Root, you appear to be close to GSS levels of post whore over there ;) :lol:

Good FYI there Root. Going to de-virginize the rib hangers on mine this weekend! :)

And from lurking on the Orion forums, Root, you appear to be close to GSS levels of post whore over there ;) :lol:

There's an Orion forum..lol..I get to finally meet Root on Friday at Blue..I need to get in on his good side so I get invited to his house the next time he makes Ribs or Corned Beef on the Orion..