• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Orion TR: Spareribs

ctenidae

Did a bad job butchering them- didn't cut nearly enough off the thick end to make a St. Louis cut (never did it before). 1.5 hours with apple wood smoke. They spent 2 days in the fridge with a dry rub of brown sugar, dry mustard, chili powder, salt and pepper.

Before:
Ribs_raw.jpg

After:

Ribs_done.jpg

Actually put them under the broiler after that to brown them up- works okay, but I like a grill much better. The Orion does okay with ribbs, I think, but all in all I think I still like my oven-to-grill method a little better. Orion certainly cooks fast and juicy, but without the extra grill time, you just don't get that special char. On the other hand, I'm sure the Orion does things like chicked nad pork butts and briskets like nobody's business...

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
It didn't stand out too much- my wife thinks she hates smoke, so I went really light on the chips, and will work the flavor up so she doesn't notice.
I had the same problem with my wife at first because she equated "smoked" with "burnt". Now she loves it when I fire up the Orion.