• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Osceola's and East Pond Loop

dailey7779

Website
dailey7779.blogspot.com
Date(s) Hiked: 10/6/09

Trails(s) Hiked: Greely Ponds Trail, Mount Osceola Trail (tripoli road) East Pond Trail, (Kancamagus back to car)

Total Distance: 15 miles

Difficulty: Not to bad, total Elevation gain was around 4300 feet

Conditions: Wet, cold, and raw. Temps 40 to low 50's, windy above 3700 feet

Special Required Equipment: none

Trip Report: Started hike just after 7am, it had just stopped raining. The trails are holding up pretty well considering all the recent rain lately. There's some standing water and running water hiking down Osceola to Tripoli Road trailhead. Beware of wet leaf's all over the trails stuck to rocks and hiding rocks making for some slippery conditions, I slipped and fell twice descending! Also ran into a big group of middle school kids on a hiking field trip from the Cardigan Mountain school while descending Osceola, they where having a blast!

I really enjoyed "The Chimney" which is narrow shoot like passage (I think it's about 50 feet maybe a little more) on the way from East Osceola to Osceola, I went around it first then I went back down and went strait up it, lots of fun...just be careful when it's wet!

Not to many views, clouded in most of the day, so I missed out on seeing some good foliage, best I saw was the 2 mile hike on Tripoli road to the East Pond Trailhead. East Pond Trail is in good condtion, and East Pond is a very picturesque and secluded pond and it seems would be a perfect place for moose to play, unfortunately I didn't see any this time. Finished at 1pm

Pics from trip here http://picasaweb.google.com/cdailey7779/OsceolaSAndEastPondLoop#