• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Park City Feb 18th to the 22nd

Tonyr

Resort or Ski Area
Park City
Date
Feb 18, 2022
Snow Conditions
  1. Packed Powder
  2. Dust on Crust
  3. Moguls
Skied Park City the last 5 days and was shocked with the lack of snow this far into the season. The first 3 days felt like April skiing in February with temperatures getting up to 40 degrees each day and the snow was very crusty. Thankfully it snowed the last 2 days around 6 to 7 inches and that really softened things up. We had a blast in trees which I think are very underrated, the tree skiing at Park City is fantastic if you know where to go.

We did one day in Park City proper then spent the rest of our time in the Canyons which I think has the better terrain. I did notice that a ton of runs that would normally be groomed were left bumped up. Alot of those runs were marked intermediate and had massive hardened moguls with large ruts. They clearly don't have enough employees here to groom all the runs that normally would be groomed. They also had 10 to 12 lifts not running which is kind of embarrassing this late into the season. All in all though we had a great time, here are some photos from the trip....

20220220_135029~2.jpg
20220220_111650~2.jpg20220221_115757~3.jpg20220222_114237~2.jpg20220221_131732~2.jpg20220222_115858~2.jpg20220222_122102~2.jpg

Attachments

• 20220221_124459~2.jpg
    20220221_124459~2.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220219_115415~2.jpg
    20220219_115415~2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220222_121252~2.jpg
    20220222_121252~2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

So Inclined

We had a blast in trees which I think are very underrated, the tree skiing at Park City is fantastic if you know where to go.

...and that would be?
Asking for a friend who's going there for the first time in a couple weeks. The friend is me.
Oh and thanks for starting up the snow machine while you were there - hope you left it running.:D

Last edited:

jimk

@So Inclined
I'm sure Tony will have some fresh feedback/impressions, but here are some of my thoughts from visiting Park City quite a bit 2-6 years ago, hopefully snow pack keeps building prior to your visit:

Some of my favorite advanced terrain on the Park City side of the layout included the very handy Motherload Glades, Jupiter Bowl and its surrounding glades, and the bumps of McConkey’s Bowl. At the mid-point of the Quicksilver gondola that connects PC with Canyons side you can get off and do a short walk to ski back into the PC side on Pinecone Ridge. This area gets low traffic and has some fairly open glades.

On the Canyons side Ninety-Nine 90 is very good and Red Pine Bowl and the runs/glades under the Ninety-Nine 90 Chair are challenging and beautiful. I had a local friend take me into the steep Grande/Deschutes area off the Tombstone Chair. Otherwise, I might have totally overlooked it. There is some great terrain on the batch of south facing offpiste slopes descending to skier’s right from the upper Super Condor lift line (such as Aftershock), but a deep snowpack is usually needed to make these good/skiable. These are cut trails, but not groomed. On the skier's left side of upper Condor lift line is Condor Woods, which is pretty big and challenging (fairly steep and thick) and usually low traffic. There are some gnarly, narrow bump runs in this area too.

Best thing, The lifts that serve everything mentioned above usually have some of the smallest lift lines on the mtn. Also, all these areas usually have the best snow too :)

Few photos and more comments:

So Inclined

@So Inclined
I'm sure Tony will have some fresh feedback/impressions, but here are some of my thoughts from visiting Park City quite a bit 2-6 years ago, hopefully snow pack keeps building prior to your visit:

Some of my favorite advanced terrain on the Park City side of the layout included the very handy Motherload Glades, Jupiter Bowl and its surrounding glades, and the bumps of McConkey’s Bowl. At the mid-point of the Quicksilver gondola that connects PC with Canyons side you can get off and do a short walk to ski back into the PC side on Pinecone Ridge. This area gets low traffic and has some fairly open glades.

On the Canyons side Ninety-Nine 90 is very good and Red Pine Bowl and the runs/glades under the Ninety-Nine 90 Chair are challenging and beautiful. I had a local friend take me into the steep Grande/Deschutes area off the Tombstone Chair. Otherwise, I might have totally overlooked it. There is some great terrain on the batch of south facing offpiste slopes descending to skier’s right from the upper Super Condor lift line (such as Aftershock), but a deep snowpack is usually needed to make these good/skiable. These are cut trails, but not groomed. On the skier's left side of upper Condor lift line is Condor Woods, which is pretty big and challenging (fairly steep and thick) and usually low traffic. There are some gnarly, narrow bump runs in this area too.

Best thing, The lifts that serve everything mentioned above usually have some of the smallest lift lines on the mtn. Also, all these areas usually have the best snow too :)

Few photos and more comments:

Thanks very much!!!

Tonyr

Jim you summed things up really well there! Just to add I'd say that the Motherload Meadows with snow are the best glades on the mountain. You have to hit the unmarked sections right off the Motherload lift as well. As you come off the lift circle to the right and drop down into that first unmarked section. It's unbelievable with snow.

Also the 9990 lift trees in deep snow are amazing. That is my favorite section on the entire mountain and where i spend most of my time, the terrain there is awesome. The Abyss is probably the most challenging glade on the mountain especially with these conditions. There is still not enough snow so the run has lots of rocks and cliff bands sticking out making it truly a no fall zone currently. It was survival skiing the whole way down this season. Last year I lapped the run 3 or 4 times in a row when the run had a ton of snow. In any event your going to have a great time!

Mum skier

We are in Park City right now. Skied from Monday, snow is getting better each day with probably 2” during day in Monday and Tuesday and 6” last night and some genuine powder around now (though with ice just underneath). The advantage of being east coast skiers means the snow still seems good to us even if the locals are not happy.
But certainly some key lifts are not open and not many lodges for on mountain food. So hard to get any lunch even if you wait til late. But lifts nd runs are quite quiet other than gondola from Canyons base and the beginner chair at the top of the gondola. Met so many east coast skiers on lifts and have seen kids with their team jackets on from Loon, Okemo, Mt Snow, Mountain Creek and Sunapee.
Having a great week so far!

Tonyr

Yes Monday and Tuesday were great, the 3 days prior at Park City were not but we made the best of it. Your right the crowds weren't that bad, we ate breakfast everyday and skipped lunch so I never ran into that issue. I have been running into alot of people from Boston out here. On another note, we moved over to Alta today and the conditions were fantastic, had one of the best days of the year today.

Mum skier

Yes Monday and Tuesday were great, the 3 days prior at Park City were not but we made the best of it. Your right the crowds weren't that bad, we ate breakfast everyday and skipped lunch so I never ran into that issue. On another note, we moved over to Alta today and the conditions were fantastic, had one of the best days of the year today.
We always intend to skip lunch, but somehow by about 1.30 we are hungry no matter how much breakfast we eat! And today was pretty cold so needed breaks. Out of interest did you ski from Canyons to Park City or vice versa? We took advantage of our hotel shuttle to go to park city proper today (staying at Canyons), seems a lot of ”horizontal“ lifts to link.

Tonyr

We always intend to skip lunch, but somehow by about 1.30 we are hungry no matter how much breakfast we eat! And today was pretty cold so needed breaks. Out of interest did you ski from Canyons to Park City or vice versa? We took advantage of our hotel shuttle to go to park city proper today (staying at Canyons), seems a lot of ”horizontal“ lifts to link.

By mid-day we'd have a power bar on the lift to hold us over but were very hungry for dinner I have to say. We stayed in the Canyons and the one day we skied Park City we took the Quicksilver Gondola over. The ride is really cool crossing over and I didn't think the traversing back and forty was that bad, certainly no worse than getting home from the back bowls at Vail. When we headed back to Park City I timed it starting from the bottom of the King Con express. It took exactly an hour to get back to the Canyons village with my family sking with me. I'd guess that I could have done it in 45 minutes if I were skiing by myself.

Last edited:

Tonyr

To get over there from the Canyons the only slow lift is the Timberline lift, other than that all the other lifts are express. On the way back I do the Dreamcatcher instead which is slow too but it dumps you off on the Harmony run through the Colony development which is probably the best intermediate groomer in all of Park City. From there it's the Over and Out lift then your back in the village.

Last edited: