• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pedxing's thank you party

pedxing

OK this is an odd way to make an invitation and I apologize for the awkwardness. I trust it will be deleted if inappropriate - or maybe in a month when it is obsolete.

I’ve wanted a better way to thank people for their support during difficult times. Exactly a year ago, I was emerging from a coma. As my mind began to clear I was in a very vulnerable state. Due to drugs and injury, I was distinctly off balance and coming to terms with a very different world and uncertain outlook. The cards I got, the posts I read here and elsewhere made a huge difference – they infused my world with a sense of connection, support and solidarity that kept my spirits high. When I was at my worst, I found strength and cheer in your words on line and in cards and letters. Some people even sent money, which was humbling – but was very helpful at a time when I had no income and uncertain prospects for returning to work.
It’s for this reason that I want to invite all those who reached out to me, whether through posts, cards, gifts, prayers, phone calls or thoughts (etc.) to a party to thank you. My wife and I are holding the party as thanks and as a celebration. May will mark the restoration of the house, the restoration of my health (one year since discharge from rehab), my marriage to Ellen (we married May 1, 2004), and for me (Gods and Goddesses willing) four years of being cancer free (surgery May, 2001). Last year, when we married – I was unable to cope with any real celebration and we agreed to postpone for a year. I feel truly fortunate to be able to work and play, to hike, backpack celebrate again.

I am also amazed by my restored home. Thanks to family, friends, a great contractor, borrowed money, lots of sweat equity (how great it feels to be able to work this hard!), and gifts of work and expertise from others we were able to use the opportunity created by the destruction and the insurance money and create a home far nicer than any I expected to live in, let alone own. I’ve still got some work to do on the house, but I’d love for you to see it. Please, don't bring gifts. Your presence is gift enough, and I am already in your debt.

For more details, please email me @aol.com. Please put "pedxingAT" ("pedxing" was already taken) before the @ (sorry to be backwards, but I’ve heard ugly tales of email address gleaning programs scooping up stray email addresses on the web).

MtnMagic

Pedxing didn't mention the reason he was in a coma. The cause was due to a house fire that started from a candle. We recently enjoyed a winter hike together up to the summit of Mt Liberty. I know first hand what it is like being a burn survivor, being one myself in a car accident that occurred in June of '82. A long, uphill journey indeed, and one Pedxing has traveled and conquered remarkably.

It's been many years since I've left the North Country to visit Cambridge. I will do my best to be there, my brother.

Rejoice!

pedxing

Thanks Mtn. - I'm hoping I mentioned this to you and Ghost Dog at Franconia Ridge. I'll send you an email with details.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Trip report - North Cambridge, MA

I'd like to thank Pedxing for opening up his home the other night. The house looks fantastic, and it was great fun hanging out there. You can judge a person's character by those around him, and he has a tremendously amazing group of family of friends. I'll tell ya, they all think pretty highly of him, too; I checked the gossip lines. :D

Havah Nagilah four-handed by the boys on the piano was a classic.

Thank you, Pedxing! Hopefully it's all forward from here.
:)

pedxing

Michael - it was great to meet you after coming close - and after reading your posts for a long time. Thanks for coming down!