• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Phish Reunion????

deadheadskier

Staff member
Is Trey still in jail???

nope, free man

If Trey is clean like he reportedly is and they are committed to practicing to execute the songs the way they should be played, I'm all for it. I saw them a good 75 times, but none after 98 as I thought the shows started becoming inconsistent and sloppy. Many of the old tunes like Reba are extremely technical and they just weren't up to par and I thought the energy was off.

I'd probably go to see a show if they came back, but not dozens per year like I once did. I really can't stand seeing music in non-general admission environments anymore. I don't particularly care for crowds larger than 5-6 thousand people either. If they toured again, I'm sure they'd sell out massive stadiums.

If I had to guess, they'll pull a stealth show at Higher Ground sometime after NYE and some locals will see something real special. Perhaps a spring tour will follow, but limited dates with Madonna ticket prices from scalpers.

dmc

If they do .... They better not suck. I hold these guys in a high standard..

I gotta hear a crisp YEM.. Or Weekapaug.. A funky Mikes Groove or Possum... Maybe a Fee or a tasty Bowie...
I'll give Trey a chance to not totally F up Stash like he did at the last show...
And Page a chance to not cry like a baby like he did during Velvet Sea at the same show... ;)

Don't get mad at me - they set the bar... :)
They either bring it... Or don't show up...
I think they know that...

ccskier

I agree, the musical talent and the crowd both went down the tube. HAHA. Anyways, I do hope they make a come back of sorts. I remember kids selling heroin at the Great Went, that was one of the last straws for me. I agree with the Higherground comment. The problem is that a lot has changed in society since they broke up, people got jobs, showered, dog pounds became over populated, acid became harder to find, etc... All kidding aside, the 50 or so shows I saw were some of the best times of my life. I think that I would be willing to drop the Madonna coin to see them again. There is no way in hell I am sitting on the highway for 2 days though.

Last edited:

frozencorn

There is no way in hell I am sitting on the highway for 2 days though.

Agreed. Too old for that nonsense any more.

They'll reunite, but I just wonder how it will be. I'm four years older now, and even in '04 I was tired of the scene that surrounded everything. Oh, I'll be there, but I just don't want everything else to interfere with the music (they'd better practice this time around). Trey sober is a definite plus.

If the energy is there, then there's no reason they need to be a "nostalgia act." Case in point: Anyone get Mike's new album? It's phenomonal. Easily the best post-Phish individual release. If he can bring that sort of vibe to the band's new music, along with what Trey has provided with his self-titled release still one of my favorite albums ever (not so much Bar 17), why can't they get something good going again? And frankly, Undermind isn't as bad an album as we all thought it was when it was released.

frozencorn

Many of the old tunes like Reba are extremely technical and they just weren't up to par and I thought the energy was off..

Yup. But if you go back to 2000, I think you'll find some underrated shows when they were still getting things right for the most part. Right before hiatus they were bringing it. It was '02-on that really bothered me. I forgave them for the '02 NYE show because it was Night 1. The 20th reunion show? Worst I had ever been to. Still the '04 Great Woods shows were awesome. Those nights were just too sporadic.

Then there was Coventry. I just like to leave it at that to spare myself the pain of the memory.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yup. But if you go back to 2000, I think you'll find some underrated shows when they were still getting things right for the most part. Right before hiatus they were bringing it. It was '02-on that really bothered me. I forgave them for the '02 NYE show because it was Night 1. The 20th reunion show? Worst I had ever been to. Still the '04 Great Woods shows were awesome. Those nights were just too sporadic.

Then there was Coventry. I just like to leave it at that to spare myself the pain of the memory.

Oh I've definitely heard some good shows on tape. Heck I've heard a couple of shows from even 04 that I thought were stellar.

I guess for me the bar was set somewhat high as I started going in 93 and 94 was the year I saw the most shows, somewhere around 20. I still feel that 94 was their best year, the full Gamehendge at Great Woods, the White album on Halloween and numerous other landmark type shows. It seemed like every show I saw up until the Great Went was lights out. The Went shows were kinda meh and then after that for the rest of 97 and throughout 98 it seemed like many of the shows were hit or miss. I saw great ones during that time, but some not so great ones. From what I've read, 1998 was around the time when Trey started getting into the hard drugs.

Also around 98 I started to see more shows of smaller acts in clubs in Burlington. Up until then it was either Grateful Dead, Allman Brothers or Phish shows in larger venues with a couple of exceptions. I found myself enjoying seeing the likes of Stringcheese, Gov't Mule, Soulive, Greyboy All Stars, viperhouse, moe, strangefolk etc in the smaller venues far more than the big stadium shows for a quarter of the money AND I could stumble home. Plus I didn't have to deal with ghetto hippies messed on Heroin in the lot. It really became an easy decision.

I just decided it was best for me to walk away and appreciate the fantastic five years I spent so much time seeing the band and enjoy it for what it was. I felt like if I kept going, I was only going to see things get worse both with the band and the scene. Turns out I was right. It became common place for my old friends who I saw numerous shows with to come home from the road and say, yeah 1 show rocked, but the other two were kind of meh. That was never the case in the early-mid 90's when it seemed like every night was the best show of your life.

BeanoNYC

Few years ago... Coney Island... It was awesome!

Unforgettable moment in Phish history. That was one of the nicest and intimate venues I have ever seen Phish in. I remember that after Jay Z came on Trey had to be a dick and announce that Eric Clapton was about to come on stage. Not to mention I dragged a shit load of people on the Cyclone afterwords. I've been on the Cyclone countless times. Never before were all the cars filled with tripping hippies.

BeanoNYC

Which one? Inside In or The Green Sparrow?

Bob, me and DMC were recently at a festival and Mike played. I missed a bunch of his set at I needed to get something out of my tent. What I did hear was a bit disappointing. Then again, I had just hear New Rider's set and was gearing up for Phil. :)

dmc

Mikes set was good..

Seen him with Leo and Ramble Dove too...

Mikes the man...

dmc

I must admit I've had it in for him since that whole Jones Beach incident. Perhaps I don't give him a chance anymore.

My friend from Hunter was a cop at Jones Beach at the time and was working that night... he guarded Mike from the "bikers" after they beat him up..

Mike Gordon did not do anything out of control.. A cute kid was playing in the water backstage and he took a picture and talked to her... - He's a photog..
The problem was it was the leader of the "bikers" kid... And apparently he couldn't find her and may've panicked...

The "bikers" overreacted.. Mike paid the price...

He was banned from the Dead tour that summer due to the Dead's association with these "Bikers"