• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Planning a Ski Vacation

Sugart

Hello, I was wondering if you guys could help me out a little planning a ski vacation. First the details. I live in South Jersey with my wife and 3 children. Im almost positve none of them will be skiing. My brother lives near Boston with his wife and two sons. Im pretty sure one of my nephews will ski at least one day. We have talked about staying somewhere together either Jan or Feb most likely for a long weekend Thurs through Sunday, but since we have so many people who are not going to be skiing, we need a place that has plenty for them to do as well. I would prefer to stay on the mountain, but any place close would be fine. So my question is what areas should I be looking at? North Conway? Smuggs for the family atmosphere. Ive skied Killington when I was younger as well as Loon a few years ago, but I mostly ski the Poconos, so I am looking for something great that we can ski for a few days as well as have plenty to do for the family. Tall order I know, just looking for opinions of people who ski up north more than I have.

darent

north conway is the place for you, plenty of ski options{attitash,bretton woods,cranmore,black, wildcat} plus plenty for none skiers

Anklebiter

North Conway

I agree North Conway is a great place to stay. Both Cranmore and Attitash have mountain coaster's and Cranmore has tubing for the non skiers. There are several great scenic drives you can take, especially the Kancamagus Highway. No storage of store's and restaurant's to spent your money on. We took the kids (11yr & 9yr) to the Mount Washington Weather Museum and they really enjoyed it. We usually stay at Attitash, since we have timeshare. I don't know to much about other accommodations in the area, but I know there is no shortage of them. Bottom line is I don't think you could go wrong, if you choose to stay in North Conway.

fbrissette

Will pitch in for my mountain Jay Peak. You got one full day of fun with the aquapark. You can go skating, Lots of places for snwoshoeing, you can cross-country ski with cheap rental. All within walking distance. There's some awesome free sliding that can be done on Racoon run after the village chair closes, using a car as a chairlift. IF they need to go shopping, Burlington is about an hour away and well worth spending the day.

Last edited:

gmcunni

tho i have not been there i've always wanted to try Lake Placid for my family which includes some non-skiers. I think the whole olympic thing would give us something to do when not skiing.

Sugart

North Conway is what my brother suggested as well. I think thats where we are going to start looking, although I love the idea of spending time at Stowe. We want to stay on the east coast within driving distance, so Dubai is out, though I will go some day. Thanks for the help.

fbrissette

tho i have not been there i've always wanted to try Lake Placid for my family which includes some non-skiers. I think the whole olympic thing would give us something to do when not skiing.

Lake Placid is nice. Lots of things to do although most will require driving out of town. Skating rink and hockey area are right downtown. Within a short drive you have the ski jumps (worth an elevator trip to the top) and bobsled course (you can ride the old 1932 olymic course, two at a time, you have a driver and brakeman and you fit in the middle), and of course Whiteface Mountain, 10 minutes away by car.

bigbog

No. Conway is okay....it's ~50mi to SR. A little bit of a drive, but worth it. Get there for first chair and the skiing is usually golden, everywhere. Wildcat's treelines might be happenning.
Burlington, VT would be pretty good as well.

Last edited:

Smellytele

Lake Placid is probably closer to you in Jersey but my vote would be North Conway from Boston. Burlington is nice but another hour from Beantown.

Geoff

Another n Conway vote.... if you are insistent on vt then Killington

Killington doesn't have much to offer for non-skiers who don't have drinking problems. In Vermont, Stowe would be a much better option. The non-skiers have attractions like Ben & Jerry's, an attractive village, much better food, and the 45 minute drive to Burlington.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Good point .... I haven't been to Stowe so I'm speaking one sided. I always thought of Killington as having great non mountain activities but I guess that it is mostly bars and nightlife oriented

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Sugart

Thanks for the help guys. I think we've decided on N Conway/Bartlett. I also talked my wife into a full week rather than just a long weekend. It looks like its only a few hundred more for the week as opposed to 4 days. Most places average about 1400-2000 a week, but split between 3 familes it worth it.