• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Platty 🏂🎿😃 sweet hill in West Cats NY

JimG.

Staff member
OK so I've finally learned my lesson about Plattekill. After skiing there on 1/3 when 3 trails were open and the double was shut down I didn't think much of the 8" they got early last week so I went to Gore this past Friday instead of going to Platty.

On Saturday night I read that they were 100% open on their website. I kind of laughed. When I got there yesterday I was stunned to see what looked like 100% coverage. I'll be damned everything was skiable! I skied everything on the double side. Some icy spots but I never hit anything under the snow and the natural snow skiing was great. Plunge/Giant Slalom were the best of the natural offerings.

And there was snowmaking going on full blast on Northface. So after skiing everything else including the triple side I ran top to bottom laps there until I was done at 2:30. There's a decent base in the trees so another foot of snow and woods are good to go too.

So glad I bought that Plattekill pass.

Killingtime

This happens more than you'd think.
Was there Saturday as a first-timer and it was in very good shape. Almost lost the wife in the woods (not intentional) the snow was so deep in places. Super impressed by the terrain and feel of the place. Lapped the side with the double over and over. Can't wait for a bit more coverage. I'm sorry now that I prepaid for some Windham days. Should've done more Platty, but the season is still young.

ScottySkis

Platty’s newly minted Alpine Level I instructors- just passed their certs this weekend. Congrats @plattekillmtn_snowsportsschool for all you do to bring new skiers and riders to our sport!!!#learntoski #learntosnowboard #takealesson #myplatty #catskills

ScottySkis

Times heaeld news paper finally written articles I can actually like

Plattekill Mountain, with an assist from Mother Nature, has now opened up all 35 slopes and trails. Snow tubing also opened for the season. Here's what to know before you hit the slopes this week:
From Middletown NY news paper

tnt1234

Snow was great at Platty today - really really nice.

**** I'm going to edit this post becuase I am more and more convinced that I just caught a bad day ***

Last edited:

hub8

But boy, Covid safety protocols were an utter joke. Lifties with no masks, smoking while loading chairs, many ski patrol with no mask. I would say 50% of the patrons didn't even pretend to mask up at the base. Absolutely zero social distancing in the lines. Double never really had a line, but as we trie to distance with the one or two groups ahead of us, people were just ignoring us and cutting in. Liftie at the top - who is the nicest guy in the world - standing next to the chairs as the unload, no mask wishing you a great day - which was nice, but jeez man, we're in a pandemic.

Made us pretty uncomfortable TBH, which is a damn shame because that is my favorite mountain in the catskills. But I doubt we will be back this season.
Thanks for sharing. Just came back from Sugarbush and quite pleased with their Covid protocols. Expect snow conditions to remain excellent in the near future as well.

JimG.

Staff member
Slug, what day was that?
Yesterday.

Unexpected powder day I guess, I've gotten used to the fact that it snows at Platty when it does not elsewhere in the Cats. Dry my entire drive there, partly cloudy when I turned onto 30 north. As I got to the access road I could see the snow cloud up around Plattekill and as I pulled into the lot it was dumping. Great snow all day.

I've been to Platty quite a few times this season and have a totally different feeling about the COVID protocols. IMO Platty is doing an excellent job enforcing them in a pleasant way. All employees and lifties have been masked up. I would have to say there is a 95% compliance rate. I've never felt unsafe regarding that. Perhaps you skied there on the one bad day they had or perhaps it was a Saturday. I've noticed the yahoos come to ski on Saturdays. And there will always be that guy or gal who just won't play along with the rules.

Bummer that's the day you chose to go.

Pkill1.jpgPkill4.jpg

Last edited:

tnt1234

Well, I hope it was just a fluke, but the fact that the lift operators were not masked, or even trying, and that ski patrol didn't mask, and dozens of patrons didn't even have masks or even try to pull what they had up.....I don't know....looked to us like they weren't trying.

Killingtime

Well, I hope it was just a fluke, but the fact that the lift operators were not masked, or even trying, and that ski patrol didn't mask, and dozens of patrons didn't even have masks or even try to pull what they had up.....I don't know....looked to us like they weren't trying.
I was there two weeks ago and thought 99% of the people including the lift operators were doing a good job but I have no reason not to believe you. Hopefully it was a just a bad day. It really is a great place. I'm trying to convince the wife about making the Cats a home base for next year with Platty being the anchor.

tnt1234

Totally agree - it's by far my favorite mountain in the Cats. Yeah, hope it was just a bad day...

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com

FWIW I didn't see this when I skied on Friday.

rebel1916

But boy, Covid safety protocols were an utter joke. Lifties with no masks, smoking while loading chairs, many ski patrol with no mask. I would say 50% of the patrons didn't even pretend to mask up at the base. Absolutely zero social distancing in the lines. Double never really had a line, but as we trie to distance with the one or two groups ahead of us, people were just ignoring us and cutting in. Liftie at the top - who is the nicest guy in the world - standing next to the chairs as the unload, no mask wishing you a great day - which was nice, but jeez man, we're in a pandemic.

Made us pretty uncomfortable TBH, which is a damn shame because that is my favorite mountain in the catskills. But I doubt we will be back this season.
You can pretty much have your tips a few inches from the person in front of you in line and be "socially distant". Especially since you are outside.