• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Platty 🏂🎿😃 sweet hill in West Cats NY

tnt1234

To be clear, the storm at the END of next week might have questionable precipitation type (still a week+ away). The Monday/Tuesday storm will unquestionably be snow. Are they doing Powderdaize this year? Certainly a chance for 6"....
Correct - meant that second storm.

I don't know if they are or not, but I thought pwder Daze was 12" or more. Is it 6"?

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Yes 12 +/-.

Powderdaize aren't so simple anymore. If someone skied yesterday (ie Mountain Rental) it's a shitstorm.

You want a Plattekill? I do. Mountain Rental is key.

JimG.

Staff member
Good day today but a mixed bag. Some of the snow was fluffy mostly in the trees like California glade. I like a good base in the trees so I thought they were still a little sketchy, mostly due to numerous water bars. Assuming that soft snow blew in there. Trails were the mixed bag. Blockbuster received a good round of snowmaking big whales top to bottom. Also some windblown snow skier's left. Freefall had the best snow. Plunge was a mix of wind packed snow and loose powder. Northface had a base of manmade covered with wind packed snow. Different everywhere I went.

What was never different was that it was brutally cold and windy. -16 with the wind chill. Stayed out 3 1/2 hours and that's all I could handle. My boots got so cold my fingers were sticking to the buckles as I unbuckled them.

JimG.

Staff member
Heading back tomorrow. Thought about going again today but the continuing bitter cold made staying home attractive.

ScottySkis

Platty might open tomorrow Tuesday for powered day click on link for the information
It official platty open Tuesday tomorrow for plattypowder day

We’re calling it. ‘Powder Daize’ tomorrow, Tuesday Feb 2. 4-6” and snowing with snow expected thru tomorrow. All tix sold ONLINE only. Limited supply! #myplatty #keepingitreal #catskillskiing

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
We’re calling it. ‘Powder Daize’ tomorrow, Tuesday Feb 2. 4-6”

chris.jpg

triple-side-trees.jpg

This was one of the great days in my life, will never forget it:

PAabe

Great day at Platty today! Got something like 2 more inches of powder this morning then sunny high 30s this afternoon. I was attempting to telemark this morning, apparently I was the first person this year to rent tele skis from them. Hard to find places that rent them!

tnt1234

Fun day today at patty. Definitely a little crust under all the recent snow, but in the AM, the bumps were great till the new snow got scraped off, and the woods were fun all day. Especially they low angle stuff. Groomers were perfect. Sun was out. Great f-ing day all around.

ScottySkis

This Friday tely day
"9th Annual Telefest at Plattekill Mountain this Friday. Free demos from Telemarkdown. Book online."

ScottySkis

From Facebook memories c rex
Life has changed so quickly for me compared to 6 years ago when this happens ed:
""Can't believe so much has changed since 2015 when I met someone from AZ that picked me by highway of NY thruway in Kingston and drove me to platty and back to their car after awesome ski day never meeting before:
"""Gave up my Plattekill Mountain virginity today. It's definitely my kind of mountain too. Steeps, narrow and technical trails, and some great glades. Riding the mountain bike trails was so fun. Cliffs and ladder drops everywhere! Gotta catch a powder day there and definitely need to go back this summer on a DH bike. Thanks to Scott Zager for showing us around!,"""

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Nice closer* at Plattekill on Saturday. Never really got too sunny, but the snow was soft, and very soft by end of day.

IMO Block, completely ungroomed, was the best:

plattekill-1-jpg.8844

GREAT Apres, we stayed until dark on the deck, hanging Laz and Danielle and the employees.

L+D were happy to have had such a great season in the face of so much uncertainty in November.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
When you've got steep fall line skiing right to the base with no runout... flat ground is hard to find.

I always come for first chair so it doesn't affect me.

Belleayre has a lot of parking, you could ski there.

Here's a survey. I want more/better:

• Parking
  • Uphill capacity
  • Terrain and snowfall

Pick one.