• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Platty 🏂🎿😃 sweet hill in West Cats NY

Cornhead

It our "fault", when I first started going there no one parked on the access road, it wasn't necessary. I spoke with someone from NYC who had a second home in the area when I first went there. . He said he didn't even tell his friends about the place. Didn't want it crowded. On the up side, even when cars are half mile down the road it never seems crowded on the hill, and the double rarely stops. Gotta keep it in business.

cdskier

I don't know if I've ever parked anywhere other than the first/top lot at Platty. Plenty of times when I've left though that cars have been parked on the access road. I don't necessarily try to get first chair, but I do like being there approximately around the time lifts open. Been a few years since I've skied at Platty. Love and miss that place...Such great terrain with no crowds and a nice laid back vibe.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Even when you park on the road, you're closer than some of the lots at, say, Gore.

Lots of places get parking down the access road by 10am.

I should know this but I don't. Does Plattekill run a shuttle on busy days?

BenedictGomez

Plattekill runs a shuttle even on non-busy days (though perhaps that's just my perception of "busy", which is way more than Plattekill's perception of busy).

ScottySkis

From platy😃🏂🎿😀😄
""We haven’t fully called it a season...just yet. We’re gonna wait and see how the week goes, maybe we’ll squeak out just one more! “It ain’t over ‘till it’s Over”. #myplatty #springskiing #itaintovertillitsover""

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I don't think the place will every become one of those crowded ugly places simply due to the larger percentage of expert terrain . It's really not very much of a beginner mountain so don't worry .

ne_skier

Places like this exist largely thanks to differentiation, and the "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality is often what leads to their downfall. This is what gives me faith in places like Platty, Magic, Smugglers, MRG etc as they (as of 2021) have little to no financial incentive to turn into a corporate mega-resort wannabe. Magic tried out the "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality and it never worked out, their recent growth can be largely attributed to them setting themselves apart from places like Stratton. The same can be said about the other resorts I mentioned to a degree.

tnt1234

Even when you park on the road, you're closer than some of the lots at, say, Gore.

Lots of places get parking down the access road by 10am.

Park on the road, walk up in the morning, ski right to your car at the end of the day. Not a bad trade off.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I like parking in the upper lot, first, non-premium spot. It's close to the lift and at the end of the day it's easy to put my gear in the car, change boots and head back to the deck for a drink.

Last edited:

ScottySkis

Saturday is platty last day of season
From their Facebook page
"Not over yet. Open Saturday 4|3 for final day of the season!!!! Come and get your last laps at Platty! $40 tix at window only or ski/ride FREE if you grab a season pass for 2021-22. Hope to see ya’ll here. #keepingitreal #myplatty #itaintovertillitsover""

ScottySkis

Sad

I'm pretty sure most of you have heard that Penny Taylor passed away on Thursday from an aneurysm she had on Easter Sunday while skiing at Belleayre.

Scott has been up here staying arkville since then. Today he is in albany at the cremation and will be returning to arkville with Ken Bellie. We lost a snow angel and a member of the Plattekill family, who unequivocally loved Plattekill and everything we stood for. I spoke with Ken and he invited anyone over after 2pm to visit with Scott. Its short notice, but if anyone can stop by im sure he would appreciate it. I'll be going over at 2 with Danielle. God Bless Penny Henry.

ScottySkis

Said from owner of favorite hill in Catskills
""This one will probably miss us, but I would be lobbying Magic Mountain Ski Area to re-open on Friday, if I had that much pink around me; I'd be getting ready for "Powderdaize" our forecast is for 6", which under normal circumstances would be amazing, but for Friday it may only be good for some early morning skinning. Come climb if you want.

Wednesday, April 14, 2021 3 pm

MODELING CONTINUES TO HONE IN ON A MAJOR LATE SEASON SNOWSTORM FOR PORTIONS OF EASTERN NY AND NEW ENGLAND FRIDAY INTO EARLY SATURDAY…

THE REGIONS TO WATCH WILL BE THE HIGH TERRAIN PARTS OF THE NORTHERN CATSKILLS, THE ADIRONDACKS, PARTS IF NORTHWEST CONNECTICUT, WESTERN AND NORTHERN MASSACHUSETTS, MUCH OF SOUTHERN AND CENTRAL VT, NORTHERN NH AND FAR WESTERN MAINE…

Discussion: There is always a huge error potential for any late season winter storm forecast; especially once into the mid-April period. There are many ways for a mid-April snowstorms to fail.

Most often the snow potential is limited to high elevation areas, and while we have seen mid/late April and even May snowfalls get all the way into the lower elevations, they are relatively rare.

But many model schemes have for several days now been hyping a significant heavy snowfall for portions of eastern NY and much of interior southern and central New England. The modeling has not been terribly consistent as to where the core of the heaviest snows will occur, but all of the models are producing at least scattered areas of moderate to heavy snow, and some models are on the widespread heavy snow bandwagon.

The vast majority of the snow, if it does indeed occur, would fall during the Friday into Friday night period. That means we will have another full day or so to watch trends and try to hone in on the most likely areas for trouble.

While we are not yet at full-leaf-out, the amounts of heavy wet snow being predicted by some of the models would be worrisome and raise the sp

ScottySkis

Summer fun has begun...delivery of 6,600 feet of pipe - part of our snowmaking expansion project for this winter!!! #keepingitreal #myplatty #catskillskiing #plattekill #reinvestingyourskiingdollar #thankyouplattyfans

ScottySkis

Our pipe installation has begun. Improving our snow quality with every weld!!! #snowmaking #keepingitreal #myplatty #givingmothernatureahand