• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Post your favorite Led Zeppelin album...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
and why you like it best.

I'm going with II, since I think it's the best mix of their blues roots and progressive move to hard rock sans a lot of studio effects.

Plus the Heartbreaker solo kicks all kinds of ass. And the dirty old Lemon Song.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Song Remains the Same

...depending on how you define 'album'

I'm a live music guy. When I want to listen to Zeppelin, which is often, this is what I turn to most....both in DVD and soundtrack format, most often the former.

Yes, on the DVD the songs are often broken up, but the essence of the performances I feel are captured better than the latest double live release

SRS is f'n brilliant.....it captures the medieval magic rock and roll that I associate with Led Zeppelin

The opening Jimmy Page face melt of Since I've been loving you, the mystic dawn during No Quarter that shows so much the brilliance of John Paul Jones, the universe exploring Dazed and Confused, the song that defines 'epic' in Stairway to Heaven, Bonham's madness of Moby Dick and then topping it off with the Whole Lotta Love encore that cements in your brain that Zep was and always will be the most bad ass rock and roll band EVER......Song Remains the Same is IT

99% percent of what I listen to is live performance. Seeing and Feeling it first hand rivals if not surpasses the joy I get in skiing. Give it to me, right in my face, ad lib, in the moment, capturing the energy of all that surrounds me.

That's music

whether you like Mozart, Wu Tang Clan, Garth Brooks, Grateful Dead, Beatles....you name it.

Beetlenut

Wow, I really like them all since I first heard most of the songs on the radio when they first came out. If I did have to pick, I'd say either Houses of the Holy, or Physical Graffiti.

Mildcat

Physical Graffiti. The Rover is one of my favorite Zeppelin songs. The drumming in "In My Time of Dying" gives me a chubby every time. I also like that the songs don't get too much radio play with the exception of Kashmir.

Dr Skimeister

I'd go with either the first album (Led Zeppelin) or Houses Of The Holy. Their attempt to be an American blues band on "One", as was stylish to do in '68-'69 wound up popularizing what other bands such as The Spencer Davis Group were trying to do. HOTH is an album where it sounds like the guys got blasted just enough to have a very good time.

roark

II.

First one I got into.

Great variety and flow from track to track. The Whole Lotta Love solo is face melting. L/R stereo production on What Is. Living Loving Maid riff is a monster. Ramble On- JPJ bass line is stellar. Moby Dick! Bring It On Home does just that.

campgottagopee

Not a fair question so I'm picking 2----II and House of the Holy---why??? Memories---ahh yes, mammories---oops

SkiDork

its a tough call. They're all so good. My 11 year old son is now totally into Led Zep so its all we've been listening to for the past few months, he's doing a report on them for his school project.

Well, 1 and Presence for me.

Philpug

Another vote for Presence, a very unappreciated album from them. Phys Graph too. I like pretty much everything but Coda.

Has anyone listened to THe Black Crowes w/ Jimmy Pages's renditions of Zep songs? They are great.

Warp Daddy

As a guitarist this is akin to offering booze to an alkie -- Pick one ,RU serious --PULEEEZE???

i am TOTALLY unable to zero in on JUST one man -- i luv 'm ALL. what riffs to TRY to emulate !!

This group is THE seminal kik ass , take no friggin prisoners , in yer face band of RnR bros :D

Geoff

I grew up with the stuff. IV came out when I was in 7th grade and 'Stairway' was featured in every middle school and high school dance. I still hate that song from too much air time. "Wayne's World" captured it. I like the first four albums better than their later stuff.

I pulled down all their stuff on BitTorrent last spring and I think I've only listened to it once. When you have an 80 gig iPod, that happens. I just flipped the iPod over to it. Rockin' to "Black Dog" at the moment.

SkiDork

I'll say it again, IMHO the most underappreciated part of Zep was Bonhams drumming. He made that band.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'll say it again, IMHO the most underappreciated part of Zep was Bonhams drumming. He made that band.

I'm sure sound arguments could be made for all four.

Personally? My vote goes for John Paul Jones. He was the steady orchestrating element that allowed the blending of controlled chaos that Page, Plant and Bonham put forth.

Mildcat

'Stairway' was featured in every middle school and high school dance. I still hate that song from too much air time. "Wayne's World" captured it.

Before Waynes World came out some music stores did have signs like that. I remember one store had a sign," No Stairway to Heaven, Smoke On the Water, or Eddie Van Halen Licks".