• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pre-Season Stonegrind

mediamogul

Hi all,

I am not the best with keeping my skis finely tuned but have resolved to do better this year! My K2s are looking a little haggard and one of the edges is bent slightly. I'm pretty sure a stonegrind is in order but was interested in hearing people's opinions. Do you get a stone grind every year before ski season or just when you take significant base or edge damage and need to reset the edge bevel? What is a reasonable price for a full pre-season tune with stone grind? Do some folks just jump on their skis in whatever condition and go?

snowmonster

I'm pretty meticulous with my skis but I've never had a stonegrind. The quotes I got range from $45 to $90 and I decided that that's too much money given that I have invested in a pretty good tune and wax set-up at home and have not really needed a grind except to refresh the base. From what I've read, stonegrinding is done to refresh the structure of the base and to correct base high or edge high skis (but what do I know, right?). That being said, I've been maintaining and changing my ski base structure with sandpaper. They've worked fine so far. However, if I need to set a blown edge, need to correct a base high or edge high ski or need to reduce my base bevel, then I'll definitely be heading to a shop. If you live in the Boston area, I hear a lot of great things about SkiMD in Framingham. My B Squads probably need more work than my hacker abilities can handle. I'll probably be paying them a visit soon.

RISkier

SkiMD is really good. He saved a pair of skies for me that had virtually been ruined by an incompetent tune. We take our skis up every fall to get some of Mike's magic. Not cheap but very good.

WWF-VT

I am not sure where the OP lives but I also recommend Mike de Santis / SkiMD in Framingham, MA. I take my skis there every fall for the "Factory Fresh" tune for the season.

Huck_It_Baby

My skis could certainly use some attention. I need to find a ski Shop in the Burlington area.

Can anyone make a recommendation?

WWF-VT

How long is the turn around time at skiMD?

I usually get my skis done in late Sept/early October and it's about a week turn around. Check ahead of drop off if you need better info on the time for service. You also will need to bring a boot.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I don't know if I'd pay for a stonegrind if you're planning to hit any early season snow/wrod as there's often things that poke through, unless you have a separate pair of rock skis.

steamboat1

I've been paying a local K ski shop for a season tune for several years now. $125 for the season & they'll tune them up as often as you like including a stone grind if necessary. I can also just drop them off & tell them to store the ski's till I'm up again if I don't want a tune. Heck they even store my ski's for the summer so I hardly ever transport my ski's back & forth (ski's have been there since April). I do have a pair of rock ski's I sometimes use early & late season. They'll even give them a quick tune for me on the house if I ask..

maineskier69

I tend to get the whole quiver done towards the end of the season. Use the "rock skis" for the remainder of the season leaving them with just enough tune to wrangle the WROD in late Oct early Nov (tear the crap out of them), then move up in the quiver as base and trail count expand and tune them regularly during the peak season (with a possible addition to the quiver mid/late season).
Repeat process in April.

mediamogul

I live in western MA. Anyone know of a good shop out this way? Competitive Edge is just down the road but don't know if they do stone grinds.