• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Preliminary 2012-2013 Winter Forecast

skiberg

Check out this link, its the first early forecast I could find. http://theweathercentre.blogspot.com/p/2012-2013-preliminary-winter-forecast.html . Before everyone gets too excited, the forecasts called for a very cold and snow winter last year. Also, if you really read the history between El Nino and La Nina years, there is not a statistical correlation between either weather event and more snow. With that being said if this shakes out maybe we can make up for last year. Everyone start praying to Ullr.

HowieT2

Check out this link, its the first early forecast I could find. http://theweathercentre.blogspot.com/p/2012-2013-preliminary-winter-forecast.html . Before everyone gets too excited, the forecasts called for a very cold and snow winter last year. Also, if you really read the history between El Nino and La Nina years, there is not a statistical correlation between either weather event and more snow. With that being said if this shakes out maybe we can make up for last year. Everyone start praying to Ullr.

I just dabble in this stuff so take this FWIW, but I believe the global weather patterns were favorable for a snowy winter in the east last season, it was just that the jet stream never got into the usual alignment due to some kind of vortex in alaska or what not. furthermore, my understanding is that el nino and la nina or general terms and to be predictive of weather patterns, one needs to define the strength of the aberration and where it is based.

skiberg

Check out this website. http://bestsnow.net/ . All kinds of good stuff historically. When you study the data, surprisingly it really seems to show that strength of the event etc has no real correlation with the amount of snow an area gets. It has been a while since i reviewed the snowfall history charts on the site, but after last year I really think the North Atlantic Oscillation, (I think thats the term), may have more of an impact. What we really need is one of the experts to way in on this. In any event. i just want a normal or neutral winter and i think we will all be quite happy and the long term forecast seems to suggest this might happen.

BenedictGomez

Not to mention, this summer was supposed to be a "mild" and relatively "cool" one, and so far, it has been outrageously hot as ballz.

If I've said it once, I've said it 1000 times. Man is not yet sophisticated enough to accurately predict the weather, at least not beyond a few weeks.

4aprice

We were an island of warm in a sea of cold last year. Places all over the northern hemisphere had good snow except the lower 48 (Northwest did ok, Alaska was record breaking) Weak El Nino would generally favor a stronger southern jet bringing moisture "up the coast". The weather guy I listen to says there's going to be plenty of cold around too. I predict a much different year then last year.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
We were an island of warm in a sea of cold last year. Places all over the northern hemisphere had good snow except the lower 48 (Northwest did ok, Alaska was record breaking) Weak El Nino would generally favor a stronger southern jet bringing moisture "up the coast". The weather guy I listen to says there's going to be plenty of cold around too. I predict a much different year then last year.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I sure hope you are correct!!!