• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

President's weekend...anyplace not crazy crowded???

gores95

With the recent good ski conditions shaping up for a while my family is thinking of heading north for the long weekend...2 or 3 nights. I know its a CRAZY weekend and we usually avoid booking anything over President's.

I was thinking any ski area not known as a "resort" could be less crowded. Does Gore fit the bill? Anything HAS to be better than Mountain Creek on a holiday weekend! My parents have a second home in NE PA that is about an hour from Elk Mountain. Worst case scenario we could head there. Elk is actually very nice when fully open but I have seen LONG lines at the bottom as they have very slow lifts.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks.

gores95

Ill be up at ascutney, crowds shouldn't be too bad.

Yo TT...been following the weather? Never having been to Ascutney that's another good choice off the beaten path. Any lodging recommendations for a family of four? You go 84 then up 91 to get there right?

MrMagic

might be a bit of a drive for ya. but Magic mtn (VT) crowds wont be bad at all. also Pico peak (VT) never really gets crowded since everyone skis killington. ascutney (VT) is also another very good choice. for "big" size mtns. my only concern that i forsee is the lodging will be at its prime. and so will ticket prices. those are most likley your best bet.

TwinTips21

Yes you could go 84 to 91. You can also go 84 to the thruway to 279 to 7 to 11 to 100. (I think I got all those right). Taking that second way up would also lead you right past bromley which is a comparable mountain that is an hour or so less of a ride. The only thing is bromley has been known to draw some big crowds. As for lodging at Ascutney you can try the hotel that wraps around the base. Also, if you're looking for terrain parks don't go to Ascutney, but if you want a few glades mixed in with some curvy narrow trails and some wide groomers try it.

catskills

I would recommend NY State run Belleayre for least crowded trails and excellent snow conditions. Belleayre has a new High Speed Quad this year. To quote one person from Maryland that I rode up with on the lift, Belleayre is the best kept secret on the east coast. Second recommendation would be Windham Mountain. Windham has made a lot of improvements this year including adding second high speed quad. Hunter has a reputation for being crowded on weekends. Then again Hunter has a wide selection of blacks and double blacks. Since Hunter, Windham and Belleayre are very close to each other you could ski both. The there is always Plattekill. If we get a 1+ foot powder dump, Plattekill is the place to go. Plattekill has a reputation for least crowded trails.

With the very cold temps this week, all the Catskill ski areas Belleayre, Hunter, Plattekill, and Windham have been making even more snow this week and opening up new trails every day. By presidents weekend it should be in great shape.

Belleayre
Windham
Hunter

TwinTips21

That is true the Catskills should be a great place to be as well. Little crowds, and more snowmaking power than Ascutney or Magic. Definitely a good choice.

gores95

Thanks guys. I have narrowed it down to the following. Probably stick with Elk since I can stay at my parents house for free! ;)

Don't really want to travel that far from NJ.

1. Elk Mountain (better than Montage...I mean Sno Mountain)
2. Belleayre/Windham (would hit both on Catskill trp)

Any lodging recommendations for B/W?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I like those neglected area recommendations/Magic/Pico/Scutney. Hmm, what about Bromley,no?
-> River, I'll bet Burke never gets too crowded on Pres. week?

If you don't mind traveling, you'll never find a line at Saddleback ME and you'll get big mountain skiing to boot.

For most places, always get out first several runs(lots of folks get a late start) and last couple runs, crowds usually smallest.

TwinTips21

Bromley is usually surprisingly packed. On Friday the 29th of December on my drive home from Ascutney, the lot at ascutney had about 30-40 cars. When passing Bromley an hour later, their lot was completely full, long lines at the base, and the ticket windows were congested with people.

gladerider

if you want to go someplace close by, gore probably doesn't fit that bill.
i am in nj and it take me good 4.5~5 hours to get there without traffic.
but, it is nice. not very crowded.

vermont resorts are crowded in general over the pres weekend.

i don't know if you have been to elk, but when i was there a few years ago, we had to park and get on their truck that took us to the base. did not like it.

i've always liked windham. not croweded like hunter. belleyaire is good as well, but the base lodge is kinda small and i always have a tough time finding a table for lunch. but, it is relatively cheap and got good skiing. probably the least crowded in the catskill.

have fun...

highpeaksdrifter

I was thinking any ski area not known as a "resort" could be less crowded. Does Gore fit the bill? .

It does. Certainly Gore will have vacationers that week, but there bread and butter is day trippers from the Albany, Saratoga, Glens Falls areas and their surrounding suburban wastelands.

They are planning changes which they hope will make them a resort destination, but IMO they're not now.

There will certainly be more people then usual that week, but I think you'd find it to your liking. Gore is a good mountain that is underrated by most.

MarkC

For lodging in the Belleayre / Plattekill regin check out http://www.catskillhighpeaks.com/lodging/index.php I would recommend a cabin rental at the Belleayre lodge. For Hotel / Motel your best bet is The Hanah, or The Roxbury. I dont know much about the lodging around Windham but I would think that the mountain recources would point you in the right direction. Also if you are looking for a place without lines or crowded trails take a peek at Plattekill. The last few years during pres week there has not been more than a 5 minute lift line if any at all.

Last edited: