• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Public/criminal records search- any free resources?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I'm looking for a preferably free online resources to search for a criminal record, arrest record, restraining order, type information on someone in Massachusetts. Can anyone suggest anything legit? Any beta from our resident legal expert TB? Are there any of these records that are public to begin with?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Nothing serious, just had a random facebook contact tell me my sister is dating a woman beating psychopath with a current restraining order and jail time for violating it. Also apparently he has a child which no one (including my sister) knows about.

So far it's been a pretty awesome week.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Short of going to the state and looking at the records yourself (which are public and free in general), you need to use a pay-service to get that info...we use Lexis, but that is for lawyers and only limited usage. Be wary of these sleezy search engine sites.

If it is serious enough, you could hire a PI.

Last edited:

o3jeff

Aren't court records public info? Not sure how you go about getting them though.

Edit: Never mind TB beat me to the punch

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I don't know about Mass, but in Michigan, the government web sited has an OTIS link which is the Michigan Offender Tracking Information System. Free.
I use this to check job applicants. Primarily for drunk driving records since that effects my employees ability to drive my trucks.

Perhaps Mass has something like this.

Thanks, Mass has CORI, but there appears to be a processing fee and waiting period on records.

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopster...alcontent&f=chsb_cori_request_fees&csid=Eeops

I wish Mass had a quick n dirty system like Michigan. Once again, the backwards bureaucracy and red tape standing in the way of what should be a very simple IT task.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Short of going to the state and looking at the records yourself (which are public and free in general), you need to use a pay-service to get that info...we use Lexis, but that is for lawyers and only limited usage. Be wary of these sleezy search engine sites.

If it is serious enough, you could hire a PI.

So... besides LN, you can't recommend a reputable search?

What, or who, or how do these search engines gain access to these records? Where are the records kept and what is their accessibility? If you know... and thanks for the advice.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Farking hell, I'd really like to verify the story this girl is giving me before I go and tell my parents and get them all hysterical about this. My sister can be so goddamned stupid sometimes.

2knees

you need for me to put a beat down on him?

seriously, that sucks if its true. good luck with all this.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Hell yeah Pat, I'd need someone else to help me, since he's a mason by trade and is bigger than me. I couldn't take him alone if I had to but it wouldn't stop me from resorting to blunt objects, crotch hits, kicking, biting, scratching and eye gouging.

Trekchick

I know all town cops, no staties, and no townies in that area. My uncle is an officer in West Springfield, I might be contacting him next.
That is a good next step. I'm betting he can get some information through his office information super highway.

Do what you have to do.

bvibert

Staff member
you need for me to put a beat down on him?

marc said:
Hell yeah Pat, I'd need someone else to help me, since he's a mason by trade and is bigger than me. I couldn't take him alone if I had to but it wouldn't stop me from resorting to blunt objects, crotch hits, kicking, biting, scratching and eye gouging.

Sounds like fun, when do we leave?

Trekchick

Thanks, Mass has CORI, but there appears to be a processing fee and waiting period on records.

http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=eopster...alcontent&f=chsb_cori_request_fees&csid=Eeops

I wish Mass had a quick n dirty system like Michigan. Once again, the backwards bureaucracy and red tape standing in the way of what should be a very simple IT task.
You may try it anyway and see what comes of it. I may not know how fortunate I am to have OTIS available to me. It has made a difference in hiring. Sad to say, but quite necessary.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
You may try it anyway and see what comes of it. I may not know how fortunate I am to have OTIS available to me. It has made a difference in hiring. Sad to say, but quite necessary.

Well, my sister is away in OK for the week so I wanted to break this to my parents before she comes back. If there's no quick way to verify this girl's story, then so be it, I'll let me parents do that if they feel it is necessary. Thanks again though, TC.