• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged 3/21/2015

Newpylong

First time I've been to Ragged in years, which is sad considering I only live 40 minutes away. Long story short I grabbed a $19 ticket from Liftopia and went for the afternoon. Couldn't ask for a better day, 40 degrees and sunny. I might have some questions for the regulars at th end. In Summary I will be going back no doubt, for only 1250 feet the place skied huge. The amount of vert I got in was mindboggling too. For close by areas for me I would go any day over Sunapee.

Started on Spear and worked my way left to right. Cardigan/Turnpike was great, as was Showboat. Flying Yankee was out of this world - a new favorite of mine. That run has character. The new lift must be a serious game changer.

Then I hit up Sweepstakes (open from the ladie's tee) and Birches. Both were still in decent shape, with some bumps on the bottom of Sweepstakes.

I think I skied everything open on the main mountain, Exhibition, NewFound, Ridge, Chute, Pines, etc. Cabin Fever was open and old school. Cemetery Gates looked like it would have fun if it had snow, damn that's steep.

The Trees look like they are awesome, especially the Ravine. So many rabbit holes.

Questions:

-Do they ever make snow on Birches? Noticed it had pipes and a couple towers.
-Do they ever make snow on Easy Winder? Noticed it had pipes too... speaking of that trail, what is the deal? It seemed very "rough" like they never finished grading it. Was it cut as a gateway to/from Pinnacle? Either way with a little work it would be an awesome long beginner run.
-Do they make snow on Chute? Didn't notice any pipes but it's a major run...

deadheadskier

Staff member
Chute yes. The two years I had a pass there it was the first trail open each season.

I believe they made snow on Birches last year.

Easy Winder has been as is since I first skied Ragged in 08. Haven't seen them make snow on it. It could use some grading for sure. I'm sure it will get some when Pinnacle opens. I don't believe that will happen for a few years despite trails already being cut.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Say what?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's changed? I've skied it about once a year since I first skied Ragged and haven't noticed a change. I haven't ever felt compelled to ski it more than once a season due to how flat it gets. Maybe a little grading up top where the new Pinnacle connection will be, but that's about it that I've noticed. Am I missing something?

Puck it

That trail is the worst. I don't know what was slower Easy Winder or the old Spear chair.

hammer

Are they making snow on Easy Winder now? Thought I saw equipment on it the last time I went.

The trail is quite flat, the worst part is the one uphill stretch near the beginning.

Savemeasammy

It's changed? I've skied it about once a year since I first skied Ragged and haven't noticed a change. I haven't ever felt compelled to ski it more than once a season due to how flat it gets. Maybe a little grading up top where the new Pinnacle connection will be, but that's about it that I've noticed. Am I missing something?

For some reason that sentence didn't make sense before, but now it does... Never mind!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
Absolutely. It will be interesting to see what the return trail from Pinnacle will be like. The topography between the two peaks is reminiscent of Attitash / Bear Peak.

Newpylong

I took a good amount of time checking out the cut trails over there. My initial reactions were negative when I saw the draft trail plain but the terrain looks like it will be a good addition now that I've seen it in person.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think it will be good intermediate terrain, but nothing special. Trails all look really wide and straight to me. Apparently a lift and snowmaking are still a few years out. They were cleared for the lumbar.

Newpylong

Yeah they do look fairly straight, but it looks like there could be some good trees into the valley between Pinnacle and the main mt and also the far side. Also, perhaps they only cut phase 1 trails, there certainly appears to be a lot of acreage available.

Last edited: