• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Red Bull Frozen Rush Starts Today at Sunday River

uphillklimber

And now for something really different!

An off-road truck race like no other, Red Bull Frozen Rush will bring eight 900-horsepower Pro-4 trucks and the best drivers in the world including Red Bull athletes Ricky Johnson and Bryce Menzies to the slopes of Sunday River for a head-to-head race on snow for the first time ever. Eight teams will race over the slopes of South Ridge on a course built by Sunday River's terrain park crew that features slalom gates, berms and jumps, all while navigating the course at speeds up to 60 mph on one-of-a-kind spiked snow tires from BFGoodrich. Frozen Rush will be featured on TV on the Red Bull Signature Series on NBC at 3pm before the Super Bowl on Sunday, February 2. Learn more at RedBull.com/FrozenRush.
Event Schedule
Wednesday, January 8
10am-1pmFrozen Rush Practice
2pm-5pmSlopeside After Party at South Ridge
Thursday, January 910am-12pmFrozen Rush Qualifying Races
2pm-5pmPits Open To Public
2pm-5pmSlopeside Apres Party at South Ridge
8pmOutdoor "McConkey" Movie Showing at South Ridge
Friday, January 1010am-11amPits Open To Public
12pm-2pmFrozen Rush Race
2:30pmAwards
3pm-4pmDriver Autograph Session
Spectating
Spectator access to watch Frozen Rush will be free and all Frozen Rush events will be based at South Ridge Lodge and on the slopes just uphill on the Lower Lazy River, Mixing Bowl and Broadway trails. Free parking is available in several lots at the base of the resort, with shuttles running between all parking lots, lodging properties, and the South Ridge Lodge. Race pits are located at Barker Mountain Lodge and will be open to spectators at select times, with shuttle service available from South Ridge. Spectators will be able to access the Frozen Rush course on foot by walking uphill from South Ridge Lodge along a marked spectator path to a large viewing area with two jumbotron TVs next to the course. The spectator area will have views of the start, finish, jumps, berms, and more.
In front of the South Ridge Lodge will be race headquarters under a large Red Bull tent open Thursday and Friday, which will also host a poster signing following the conclusion of the race. Inside the South Ridge Lodge are restrooms, retail stores, a food court, seating areas, bag storage, a pub, first aid, and other services. For more race information and a venue map see our Spectator Guide.

Skiing
Skiers and snowboarders will have access to two slopeside viewing areas to watch the race and will find 99% of the mountain unaffected by Frozen Rush. Three trails on South Ridge will be closed for the week of the event: Lower Lazy River, Mixing Bowl and Broadway, while the rest of the terrain on South Ridge will remain open for skiing and riding and the Chondola and South Ridge Express lifts will operate on their regular midweek schedules.
Ski access from Barker Lodge to South Ridge Lodge will be limited during specific times during the event. The recommended ski route from the South Ridge Express lift to Barker Mountain will be Tourist trap, which will be unaffected by the event. Outa Here will remain open except for the times below. The recommended ski route from Barker Mountain to South Ridge Lodge will be Lazy River. Easy Street will remain open with a gated corridor for ski traffic except for the times below.
No ski access on Easy Street or Outa Here:
- Tuesday: 2-4pm
- Wednesday: 9:45am-1pm
- Thursday: 9:45am-12pm
- Friday: All Day
Parking
Parking at Barker Lodge will be open Monday through Friday, then limited to preferred parking rows only on Saturday, Jan 11 before being fully open again on Sunday, Jan 12. Skier and spectator parking during the race will be available at all base areas with shuttles running between all parking lots and South Ridge Lodge.

http://www.redbull.com/us/en/motorsports/offroad/events/1331618130114/red-bull-frozen-rush

twinplanx

Hey you kids, GET OFF MY LAWN!!! or in this case ski slopes. I like pretty much any type of racing. But this bothers me.

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

drjeff

When it was just Ricky Johnson driving a single truck at Mount Snow last year for Frozen Rush 2013, it was REALLY cool to see, and amazing what that truck can do, and how LOUD it was! I can only imagine how cool a bunch of them racing each other will be!

twinplanx

I'd love to see this.It should only bother you if those are the beginer trails you usually ski cuz thats all its really affecting.

Well they are the only trails I can ski slow enough without my helmet. ;-)

But seriously, if I was a beginner or skiing with some folks who are, I would not be impressed.

Sent from my SCH-S735C using Tapatalk

KD7000

If this were a closer mountain, I'd definitely check it out.

Crazy 900hp trucks + snow and ice? What could go wrong?

ss20

Can they do glades?:wink:

I'd PAY to see that.