• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

RIP mike the jay peak pirate

KustyTheKlown

C3F7D6F0-E3EA-4999-B758-4147BCADADBE.png811227C3-2B26-4F8B-8F53-963CEEFAE104.png

This post from Steve is very upsetting to wake up to…

Wave that flag, wave it wide and high…

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

dude was the heart and soul of the bonnie, and of jay.

his renegade spirit represented something very unique about the place and the people who choose to drive 6 hours passing 10+ ski areas on the way.

i am very glad i made it to a bonnie opening this season, on a powder day taboot, to see him raise the flag and start the stoke

jimk

Tell me more? Long time liftie? Looks a little like Johnny Depp. Is that where the pirate thing came from?

KustyTheKlown

Tell me more? Long time liftie? Looks a little like Johnny Depp. Is that where the pirate thing came from?

he's a pirate because the bonaventure was his pirate ship. he was THE liftie at the Bonaventure, forever. the day would not begin until mike scaled the bonnie, wildly waved a jolly roger, and hollered that we were open for business. he was omnipresent at jay peak. a tremendous loss for the jay community

he also never wore a hat. ever. no matter the temp. no matter the weather. just wild black hair down his back and all black clothes. every day.

he apparently worked yesterday, so i am assuming car crash or drugs. very sad.

Last edited:

Zand

I'll be honest, I didn't know who this guy was. When I saw Steve's post on Facebook I noticed it said he started working there in 2014 which makes more sense why I didn't know him, as I definitely would have if he was there before 2013. I've unfortunately only been back to Jay 3 times since graduating college and just don't remember him. But I went through my pics from last year and sure enough...

Screenshot_20230411-145400.png

Wish I would've made it there at opening for the flag raising one of those days. From all accounts this guy just sounds like the ultimate representation of Jay Peak.

KustyTheKlown

i am a lot more sad about this than i would have thought i would be.

1681241941748.png
340925958_757069069207192_1819534748219200992_n.jpg

here's the go fund me link - gofundme.com/michael-pfaff

i was planning on killington x2 this weekend. this makes me wanna truck up to jay to lay some black roses and pay respect. not sure that's in the cards but i sure would like to ride the bonnie this weekend.

Last edited:

jimmywilson69

Damn that's sad. Seems like the dude touched a lot of people in a very good way. I hope his family can find some solace in that.

shawnanigans

I was so sad to hear about this. He was an absolute Jay legend! You will be sorely missed Michael and riding the Bonnie will never be the same without you there sharing words of wisdom and one liners. I hope they can find a good way to honor his memory at the lift.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Heart warning to see the support with the GoFundMe. He was well loved.

If there's a memorial at the Bonnie, I'll take pictures tomorrow to share here.

LONGBOARDR

There's a table with flowers and other remembrances by the lift.
Michael's Jolly Roger is hanging at half mast on the Bonnie catwalk.
His vibe and stoke have not left, and doubt they ever will.

Killingtime

Was there Saturday and Sunday staying at the Stateside looking out at Taxi and Bonnie. Everyone working at Jay seemed to love being there. My favorite trip of the year. RIP

LONGBOARDR

Nice picture, BTW the blue border is meant to be signed and there are markers there.
Michael also had another tribe of wonderful people at Parker Pie in Glover one exit down from Jay on 91 where he worked as a pizza chef after lifts closed.
It's a cool, funky place with great people and food, plus Hill Farmstead on tap and other great beverages.
Go there

thetrailboss

Staff member
he's a pirate because the bonaventure was his pirate ship. he was THE liftie at the Bonaventure, forever. the day would not begin until mike scaled the bonnie, wildly waved a jolly roger, and hollered that we were open for business. he was omnipresent at jay peak. a tremendous loss for the jay community

he also never wore a hat. ever. no matter the temp. no matter the weather. just wild black hair down his back and all black clothes. every day.

he apparently worked yesterday, so i am assuming car crash or drugs. very sad.
I was going to ask if he had an accident or cancer. RIP.