• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

RIP. Orville Slutsky

dmc

Sorry was getting on a plane. Will post funeral arrangements when I hear them. Most likely Sunday Monday. Since the family has to all get back and Saturday is the Sabbath.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Sorry was getting on a plane. Will post funeral arrangements when I hear them. Most likely Sunday Monday. Since the family has to all get back and Saturday is the Sabbath.

No worries. Just trying to help out since we have some folks who might not recognize the name.

JimG.

Staff member
Truly the end of an era in skiing.

Love it or hate it, Hunter Mountain was the first mountain in the country to utilize snowmaking as the main method of covering their terrain. The Slutskys were the innovators of that technology. The origins of snowmaking in the ski industry date back to the Slutskys. They shared their ideas with many mountains both domestic and foreign. All skiers owe them a debt of gratitude.

RIP

dmc

He was hitting on my girlfriend at the diner a couple months ago. Cool guy. :)

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
The origins of snowmaking in the ski industry date back to the Slutskys. They shared their ideas with many mountains both domestic and foreign. All skiers owe them a debt of gratitude.

RIP

No disrespect intended but what about this little fact: In 1952, Grossinger's earned a place in the history of skiing as the first resort in the world to use artificial snow.

ScottySkis

No disrespect intended but what about this little fact: In 1952, Grossinger's earned a place in the history of skiing as the first resort in the world to use artificial snow.

Sure they did but Hunter fan guns revolutionized the snow making process and you still see them at Mountsnow and other hills. They invested time and money into making a great powder snow.

dmc

Loved that guy. Always chatted with him. Izzy was cool too. Sad.

JimG.

Staff member
Sure they did but Hunter fan guns revolutionized the snow making process and you still see them at Mountsnow and other hills. They invested time and money into making a great powder snow.

That's all I'm sayin.

skirick

Kind of a funny story but a couple of years ago, I saw an elderly gentleman eating lunch in the lodge with an assistant helping him. Wanting to meet him, I went up to him and asked "are you Mr. slutzky"? to which he replied NOPE! Then after a long pause he said "I'm Orville!" After a short but interesting conversation during which I thanked him for building a great facility, he asked me "do you know how old I am?" . I paused and looked over at the assistant, she whispered the answer to me and I said "94 years old" to which again he replied "NOPE!, I'm 94 years young! Anyway, that's the type of guy he was even at 94 years young.

Last edited:

ScottySkis

He was awesome, he hooked up my whole lunch table one day because my cousin friend once worked for him ,so he had their cashiers not charged 10 of us for lunch, his office was a awesome place to, my grievances to his family and friends we all need people like him in our lifetimes.

dmc

"On Sunday, April 21, at 10:00 a.m. a celebration of the life of Orville A. Slutzky will take place in the Colonel’s Hall of the main base lodge at Hunter Mountain."

dmc

Kind of a funny story but a couple of years ago, I saw an elderly gentleman eating lunch in the lodge with an assistant helping him. Wanting to meet him, I went up to him and asked "are you Mr. slutzky"? to which he replied NOPE! Then after a long pause he said "I'm Orville!" After a short but interesting conversation during which I thanked him for building a great facility, he asked me "do you know how old I am?" . I paused and look over at the assistant, she whispered the answer to me and I said "94 years old" to which again he replied "NOPE!, I'm 94 years young! Anyway, that's the type of guy he was even at 94 years young.

haha.. great story... Glad you went up to him...
He's always look at me and say "Do I know you?" then look at my girlfriend and say "I know you".... :)

Orville was awesome.. At 90 years old... He'd stoop over to pickup trash off the ground at the lodge...
Dude was the owner of a successful ski are and had hundreds of people working for him and HE'D still do all the menial jobs...

catskillman

"On Sunday, April 21, at 10:00 a.m. a celebration of the life of Orville A. Slutzky will take place in the Colonel’s Hall of the main base lodge at Hunter Mountain."

The service will be in Colonel's Hall in the base lodge at 10 am on Sunday April 21.

The following is at the request of the Slutzky family:
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made in Orville's honor to:

• The Hunter Fire Co., #1
PO Box 181, Hunter, NY 12442

• The Tannersville Rescue Squad
PO Box 562, Tannersville, NY 12485

• The Mountaintop Historical Society
PO Box 263, Haines Falls, NY 12436

For more information on Orville's life :
http://nyskiblog.com/orville-slutzky/