• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

River tubing in CT

drjeff

anybody ever try this? http://farmingtonrivertubing.com/

any good? other place in the general CT area you'd recommend?

looking for a not-crazy day on river with kids age 10, 11, 12.

Did that 6 or 7 years ago. A bunch of fun! Water always runs a bit on the cool due to it's orgin from the depths of the Coldbrook Reservoir, but it was a fun, well run experience to say the least. Note, a pair of water shoes makes things a bit more comfy on the feet!

bvibert

Staff member
Never used that outfit personally, but I never heard anything bad about it from people who have done it.

When I was younger we used to go for free with our own tubes a little further down the river, but that requires two vehicles and some coordination.

2knees

I've done it a bunch of times when they ran it out of Satans Kingdom. I'm assuming its essentially the same stretch of river. Depending on how much water they have let out of the damn, it can be anywhere from rather boring to kinda heart racing. one section of rapids, i believe the middle one, gets pretty good.

gmcunni

I've done it a bunch of times when they ran it out of Satans Kingdom.

i think it is the same, at least the picture makes it seem that way.

sign1.jpg

i read that they have a life guard @ rapids 2 so i guess it does get some action.

2knees

i think it is the same, at least the picture makes it seem that way.

sign1.jpg

i read that they have a life guard @ rapids 2 so i guess it does get some action.

lol, i guess i didnt look to closely at the website.

o3jeff

Last time i tubed there the water was real low so my ass was dragging on the bottom and had to paddle with my hands thru a lot of places!

gmcunni

Last time i tubed there the water was real low so my ass was dragging on the bottom and had to paddle with my hands thru a lot of places!

one of my fears with this trip. we did rafting on the housitonic in cornwall a few years back, a dry summer, and had a similar expeience.

snoseek

100 dollars for a family of five?! That's a damn expensive shuttle ride, Call a cab lol.

.....or skip the boring parts and lap the Satans Ridge part by foot.

mister moose

Ski Sundown used to be Satan's Ridge, IIRC.

Correct, Satan's Ridge opened in 1962 and when it was sold the new owners changed the name to Ski Sundown.

The park is named after the biggest feature on the river, the Satan Kingdom Gorge. This is no big deal when the water is low in the summer, but is a class III or higher rapid when the river is full. Many canoes have been bent like pretzels there. The gorge is right after the Rte 44 highway bridge.

It's a fun couple hours on the river if you haven't done it. There used to be less expensive prices and more than one operator until a feud developed and the State stepped in and licensed a sole operator. The State took it's share and prices went up. If you have your own tubes you can still put in anywhere you want with access and get out anywhere you want on your own if you have 2 cars with a group. Don't forget the dam at Collinsville!!!