• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Russian Navy captures Somali pirates

ctenidae

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSTRE51C2QZ20090213

Somehow I think I'd rather be captured by US or British ships.

"So, Comrade, you think is good to steal Russian ships? We'll see how you feel after a week in our reactor room..I mean, brig..."

I had no idea the US, or anyone else, had operations going on to capture pirates. Imagine the fear of pirates when a US carrier group pops up and demands they surrender...

Warp Daddy

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSTRE51C2QZ20090213

Somehow I think I'd rather be captured by US or British ships.

"So, Comrade, you think is good to steal Russian ships? We'll see how you feel after a week in our reactor room..I mean, brig..."

I had no idea the US, or anyone else, had operations going on to capture pirates. Imagine the fear of pirates when a US carrier group pops up and demands they surrender...

I heard this was going on -------------- frankly its about time to to take control and if they persist knock them out with some serious firepower i'm thinking give our flyboys and girls some LIVE target practice :D

drjeff

I'm thinking a joint NATO/Russia/China/Japan/and whoever else wants in fleet based wargames off the coast of Somolia might not be a bad idea right about now ;)

Geoff

There's piracy much closer to home. Anybody who has done the live-aboard thing in the Carribean has heard a lot of first hand stories.

rsf0000001

There's piracy much closer to home. Anybody who has done the live-aboard thing in the Carribean has heard a lot of first hand stories.

But in the Caribbean it's just random thieves with boats, in this part of Somalia it is the backbone of their economy.

I read an intersting article about modern day pirates in last weeks Rolling Stone..the majority of Pirate attacks are in Southeast Asia and the Indian Ocean..very few in the Carribean

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
Some friends of mine who love diving as much as we love skiing/riding go to Belize once a year to dive wrecks. Their tour guides as well as talking to the Belize Coast Guard say that about once a month a yacht is found drifting in their waters after being attacked. The boat has been shot up, burned and they sometimes do find dead bodies and body parts on board. These attacks are performed by rival drug smugglers. That could be a reason why we don't hear about these 'pirate' attacks, its 'bad guys' going after 'bad guys'.

One trip a couple of years ago their outing was delayed for a day or two because the CG warned about increased rival attacks on the water.

Back on the subject though, yeah, I'd rather be caught by the Americans or British!