• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Say thanks to the lifties

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I think that the lift attendants are one of the most underappreciated employees of a ski area. While many of their duties go under the radar, like safety checks, preparing ramps and more; most of us have as our primary interaction: making sure chairs (Gondola cars, etc.) go up full when there is a lift line; and to hold back the chairs so that the customers (or guests, if you prefer), don't get slammed on their calves when they are seated.

I particularly noticed it yesterday at Crotched Mt. when due to a large crowd, the mountain opted to open the Valley Chair. It was clear that one of the lift attendants didn't want to be there. He was standing there and he didn't hold back my chair. I yelled back at him, but figured maybe he just did it to me, knowing that I work there; but I noticed that he wasn't holding chairs back for anybody. Next run, I asked him if he had been trained to hold the chairs back, as the chair crashed into my calves. His reply, "F--- off." A number of guests thanked me both for talking to him as well as for ratting him out to the head of lift ops.

I don't know if there was any positive outcome, but it reminded me:
1. How pleasant most of the lifties are who work for just above minimum wage
2. How much of a difference a good liftie can make to ones overall skiing experience

dlague

We say thank you to them every trip up and my wife bakes cookies for them every now and then and brings them straight to the lift.

Savemeasammy

Wow... I hope that one lift attendant is no longer employed. Being unhappy about working when you'd rather be on the hill is one thing, but speaking like that to someone is inexcusable.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out....

Most of the lifties I encountered on Tuesday were very pleasant. I'm sure they would have much rather been on the hill - but it didn't show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crank

I thank them fairly often, especially when they do a good job of holding the chair back. I used to be one a bit over 30 years ago...yes I am getting old.

C-Rex

I either thank them or just try to make friendly conversation. Sometimes I tell them I feel bad that they have to work while we're all skiing/riding, especially on powder days. I've bought beers for snowmakers and other mountain employees too. Those people work hard, in miserable conditions, for far to little pay so that we can play in the snow. Showing a little appreciation is the least we can do.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Tip your ski instructors. Babysitting your kid plus 9 others and teaching them a new skill for minimum wage is ridiculous, no matter how fun it is.

As for lifties, I hate it when they don't hold the chairs. I understand though, it must be such a physically demanding job. Glad I'm not doing it.

ironhippy

we have a small hill and I thank the lifties most times, but it get redundant when you're lapping a run and saying "thanks" to the same guy 5 times an hour.

Baking cookies for them is a great idea, I'll have to talk to my girlfriend about that...

BenedictGomez

+ 1/2

I agree 100% in theory, but that's assuming your dealing with a good liftie. Too many of them seem to kick up their feet at the top or be completely disinterested to care if people are going up solo even when lines are long. But a good liftie? Yeah, they're pretty valuable and under-appreciated for sure.

Smellytele

+ 1/2

I agree 100% in theory, but that's assuming your dealing with a good liftie. Too many of them seem to kick up their feet at the top or be completely disinterested to care if people are going up solo even when lines are long. But a good liftie? Yeah, they're pretty valuable and under-appreciated for sure.

I separate a liftie from a lift line attendant. at some areas they are the same but at a lot of ski areas these are 2 distinct jobs.

MEtoVTSkier

Pretty much always say thanks and hats off to the guy that tips lesson instructors.

Just out of curiosity, something I've wondered for years..

What is the commonly acceptable/average amount to tip a ski instructor? Besides a round if you see them in the bar after... ;)

BenedictGomez

We say thank you to them every trip up and my wife bakes cookies for them every now and then and brings them straight to the lift.

Wow, that's really nice.

I separate a liftie from a lift line attendant. at some areas they are the same but at a lot of ski areas these are 2 distinct jobs.

I think they rotate and do both at most places, but that is a good point.

rtjcbrown

Billy Go-Go at Mad River Glen was the best lift operator I have seen. He ran the Single Chair with such a great personality. He was a big part of the whole MRG experience.

RustyGroomer

I have thanked my liftie with the better part of a lasagna. He was stoked.

gmcunni

Tip your ski instructors. Babysitting your kid plus 9 others and teaching them a new skill for minimum wage is ridiculous, no matter how fun it is.

^^ says the ski instructor :-D (i tipped when my kids took lessons)