• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Scarin' for Halloween?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Got the graveyard setup in the front yard. Some old clothes, stuffed with leaves make a perfect dead body among the tombstones. This year, I've added a latex old man mask covering an inflated balloon to be deposited on or near the torso. An electronic recording "help....me....." will occasionally moan out. Around the side yard, a CD will be playing sounds of cats, chains and a dentist drilling. If I don't scare at least a couple of kids, I will have failed.

Got the idea when my kids were young and the neighbor had a setup so scary that my kids - 3 and 5YO refused to not only go up the driveway, but ran past the house. The guy had his kids hiding in the bushes, huge speakers in the window and he and his wife were dressed as a vampire and witch, with lots of scary lighting.

A friend likes to tell the story about another who year setup a fake casket and complete body alongside the front door. The catch was that his brother was underneath, with his real hands laying in the casket. Whey the revelers stood nearby to look, his hand would lunge out and grab the kids. Needless to say, there were many wet pants that evening.

Then there was a neighbor who made his house into haunted mansion, you could even go into his creeped-out dining room, with dead people seated at the table. But actually they weren't dead. That startled a number of kids.

Even the kids have laughed about these stories for years.

Decided to start doing this after living in the country when the only trick-or-treaters we got were the farmers down the road who drove their kids to our house, and we did the same. This is one advantage to suburbia...

Who you scarin'?

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I set up some outdoor speakers hidden by the front door and play spooky music. That's about it. There's a scarecrow on our front porch, but honestly Mickey Mouse is scarier.

Warp Daddy

yeah--- We stand outside and meet the kid and their parents --- its a hoot we do the scary music thing then me and "the Queen are in costume.

Our plan ( she a witch and me as Ozzy Osborne ( Hell that's scary) all in black with blacked out nails and eyes, pale white skin paint and a fright wig that covers my face.

The Queen is "all green" faced and white wigged and pointy hatted and holding our 18 lb big ass ole BLACK male cat . We both have black flowing robes and crap on -- ( (Damn academic gowns are finally being used for something good -- LMAO )

I won't say anything t till the kids approach ----usually quite timidly.

Then all of a sudden i yell "SHARON" get me my AXE!!!!! --- i have the guitar ( axe) on the front porch with the amp and Sometimes i 'll do an impromptu song if there is a few kids and parents --- you guessed it the theme from ADAMS Family then a little Back in Black for a few licks ----- its GREAT fun !!!

like i said before i got GREAT neighbors

Sadly I spent my Columbus day and Halloween decorating budgets on beer and tacos...so no decorations this year but if I get invited to a Halloween party, I'm going to hit up Wal-Mart for a few accesaries..I usually dress up like a pirate because I just go without shaving a few days..and have the George Michael stubble going..then wear a fake earring,.,.bring my ski pole as a sword..and go after some lusty wenches...Yarrrrrr

BTW I'm going trick or treating at Warp Daddys house..lol

Warp Daddy

sadly i spent my columbus day and halloween decorating budgets on beer and tacos...so no decorations this year but if i get invited to a halloween party, i'm going to hit up wal-mart for a few accesaries..i usually dress up like a pirate because i just go without shaving a few days..and have the george michael stubble going..then wear a fake earring,.,.bring my ski pole as a sword..and go after some lusty wenches...yarrrrrr

aaarrrrgggghhh

Hawkshot99

I used to work at a haunted hayride/house when I was younger. that was one of the best jobs I ever had. Working in the fields was so much fun. we had a huge bonfire as one of the sets, and we had huge parties around the fire, then would scatter to our different places when a wagon came through.

The house was a ton of fun too. We would have 5 people working the house running throughout the entire building through trap doors and scaring the crap out of people. So much fun to make a big tuff guy scream like a little girl!

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I have ALWAYS wanted to have the cool house on the street with the really scary Halloween set-up. When I was little, there was a house we went to that did this every year; including opening up their living room so everyone could come inside to see the carnage. With little ones, though, I'm torn between the desire for the big scare -- and wanting to take the kids trick or treating. This year, trick or treating won. Maybe when they're older, we'll invest the time and money in the big scare.

drjeff

I've got to keep it a bit low on the scare side of things for the next few years atleast. The average age of the kids around where I live is about 6. So too scary, and I'll likely be sued for causing emotional trauma to some of my neighbors kids in the near future :rolleyes: ;)

Mildcat

I've got to keep it a bit low on the scare side of things for the next few years atleast. The average age of the kids around where I live is about 6. So too scary, and I'll likely be sued for causing emotional trauma to some of my neighbors kids in the near future :rolleyes: ;)

You're a dentist, it's your job to scare kids. :roll:

mondeo

Probably nothing until I actually get a house.

The best one we had when I was growing up (I was probably in high school at the time,) was a plastic skeleton in a cardboard coffin. The skull had fishing wire attached to it, which was strung up to a eye bolt, and over a cracked window. Kids came up to the porch, gave it a good yank, and the skeleton popped up. Pretty effective.