• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski and Boarding Gear, Jacket and Pants. Types, Ideas, Complaints and repair tips. What works? and What Doesn't work?

MidnightJester

So I put a good 6" inch straight tare into a pair of Snow pants. I was wondering what everyone has tried and used to repair the tears in their waterproof or Winter clothing?? Camping and tent repair material or something special for winter snow clothing

drjeff

I have found that some, but not all, dry cleaners and/or seamstress/tailor shops will have staff with the know how and skills to get a quality repair done on performance fabric ski clothing. Doesn't hurt to ask/make a few calls

snoseek

Fabric glue+fabric tape. Buy at the craft store, glue the tear and iron on the tape. The sophisticated skiers duct tape

urungus

I have found that some, but not all, dry cleaners and/or seamstress/tailor shops will have staff with the know how and skills to get a quality repair done on performance fabric ski clothing. Doesn't hurt to ask/make a few calls
This is what I do. Cheap and much higher quality repair than I am capable of doing myself.

jimk

I used something like the above product last winter. I think I found it at a ski store in Utah, or it might have been at a Home Depot?? The tear in my ski pants was only about 1-1.5 inches long. For a six inch tear you might do better to go to a tailor/dry cleaner place, but that could be somewhat expensive, perhaps $30 or 40?

These are the pants I fixed, but you can't see the repair in this photo:
1665021779_zkwbxjuqksre.jpg

MidnightJester

So I am going to try and do a combination repair job I think from multiple sides.

I found this video that seems to do a amazing job of a inside the tear material repair upwards. I assume you could try repair tape on the inside too.

Then do a Downward repair tape type over the tear seam that's waterproof.

MidnightJester

Trying to get a zipper replaced...that's a no go.
As in no way yourself to do it or even a sewing tailor couldn't do it. I see the material alot of out gear being made out of makinng sewing without damaging the material hard to keep waterproof then.

Kingslug20

Double taped..needs to go back..to Canada.
I just taped it shut for this season..

abc

I’ve used the tent repair tapes on my tent only recently. I used the clear tape. One tape on the outside, another on the inside. The trick about tapes is your need to clean the surface real well. Or the tape may come undone.

I poured water on it. No leaks. Longevity will have to wait till next year though.

KustyTheKlown

Trying to get a zipper replaced...that's a no go.

a good tailor shop should be able to take off the entire zipper - like the fabric part that connects to the cloth of the jacket - and replace the whole thing. a tailor did this for me on a shell. only negative was the replacement zipper wasn't all techy waterproofy like the original. but it saved the jacket for another few seasons of use

kancamagus

Nothing is more permanent than a temporary fix.

I snagged my jacket on a tree branch at Palisades on a December pow day last season, and hastily patched it with 2” Gaffers Tape that I had in my car to get back out on the slopes. Almost a year later, that patch is still holding up perfectly, apart from the mismatched color.

Lesson learned for the future: keep color matched Gaffers Tape in my ski bag.

raisingarizona

If you can't duct it then fuck it.

Jk. I think everything has already been covered by previous posters.

Kingslug20

I'll have to find a good shop..
I would imagine somewhere in VT there is one.

1dog

LL Bean made a great tape - clear w no prep other than ABC's suggestion that its gotta be super clean. Have 4 Thermorest sleeping pads that all needed that heated up glue then patch, which does work, but the LL Bean tape was much easier and no heating up glue in boiling water.

Just back from Wachusett hike with my 12 yr old - got turned away at Monadnock - every trail head sold out - now I know why I've never been inclined to hike it. . . . ski swap at 1 PM was almost completely empty - did snag an Obermeyer for my wife - 'half price'. Sure. . . . outside had maybe 50-70 people there - low for a holiday w decent color. Summit was packed. Next time I'll drive to Whiteface or Moosilauke. Real elevation and no crowds. . . .

Smellytele

LL Bean made a great tape - clear w no prep other than ABC's suggestion that its gotta be super clean. Have 4 Thermorest sleeping pads that all needed that heated up glue then patch, which does work, but the LL Bean tape was much easier and no heating up glue in boiling water.

Just back from Wachusett hike with my 12 yr old - got turned away at Monadnock - every trail head sold out - now I know why I've never been inclined to hike it. . . . ski swap at 1 PM was almost completely empty - did snag an Obermeyer for my wife - 'half price'. Sure. . . . outside had maybe 50-70 people there - low for a holiday w decent color. Summit was packed. Next time I'll drive to Whiteface or Moosilauke. Real elevation and no crowds. . . .
People still get this day off?