• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Areas in the East with 1,000 vertical glades

So I thought this was a good place to ask.

We recently completed the top section of our East Bowl glades at Black Mountain of Maine. These are now an honest 1,000 vertical non interrupted on the ski map. Wondering who else has 1,000 vertical glades on the ski map.

So few qualifiers: 1) must be on resort map 2) must be uninterrupted by cross trails 3) must be verified; I use caltopo, but you could also Use the lifts vertical and estimate vertical.

Burnt mountain at Sugarloaf is the only other place in Maine. Saddleback, Sunday River and Wildcat are all out. Le Massif is the only other area I have skied that have glades that long. Sure MRG has 1,000’ on the map. Sugarbush, Smugglers Notch, Jay, Stowe all likely have it, but like Wildcat not on the map?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Longest, most vertical uninterrupted glade in New England is probably Kinsman at Cannon. Maybe 12-1400 vertical?

Dixieland at Burke is probably close to 1000. Everglade at Jay maybe as well.

Sent from my moto g power using AlpineZone mobile app

xlr8r

Test Pilot at Stratton has got to be over 1000vtf

BenedictGomez

I dont think vertical is the best way to score glades in this way. I think overall length is better as having lots of various angles & even some low angle sections is fun.

prsboogie

Pretty sure he didn't ask if they were better or worst, just if the exist.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thanks for responses guys. Thousand vertical seemed like a significant number so was curious what else was out there. Just an objective measure of a glade. Lots of debate goes into the subjective

jaytrem

Outpost chair at Mount Snow is listed as 1050. So the Trials (aka Olympic Woods) would be pretty close. Probably a few feet short though.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Lots at Killington. Julio, Anarchy, Devil's Den (from the old top entrance, been on the map/off the map back/forth for a number of years), Centerpiece, Growler, Big Dipper (not much of a glade anymore), heck even Squeeze Play on Ramshead.

Also not sure why you wrote off Sunday River. There's glades on both sides of White Heat well over 1,000 vertical. Hollywood on Barker might be over that threshold as well.

Chrstmas Tree Woods and Stien's Woods at Sugarbush.

Brunt mountain area at Gore.

To give credit where it's due....Supernova at Okemo.

Test Pilot is one of the many terrible, terrible glades at Stratton which all suck because they groom things flat even the trees don't even try to go there on a powder day.

I have checked a couple responses.

Kinsman at Cannon definitely qualifies. Walking Boss at Loon is at least close. Ovation at Sunday River is at close

Dixieland at Burke, Everglade at Jay, and Olympic Woods at Mount Snow do not.

I looked at MRG and interestingly no glades on map.

Not having much luck identifying glades at Killington. Test Pilot at Stratton appears short.

Walking Boss at Loon qualifies

Will look at others when I get a chance

Last edited:

nhskier1969

It may not be on thier trail map but it is mention a half dozen times on their website. What about Slidebrook off of North Lynx. Back country but not really

Keelhauled

Please don't post that Mad River Glen map. Its ugliness is downright offensive to good taste.

Hawk

In the not on the map category, there are ways to ski from the top of sugarbush down to a road that are well over 2,500 feet. Some on the front side some backcountry off the back.

Slidebrook is 2000 vertical feet if that counts.

machski

Sunday River should include Chutzpah on White Cap, runs the full length of White Heat Quad and that is over 1200 vert. Hardball might on the other side of WH, but it ends at Assumption so might not cut it. Hollywood might as it runs much of the Vert on Barker, as may Blind Ambition on jordan.

flakeydog

Have to give it to Slide Brook (its on the map) from the North side. Mt Ellen summit (lift served with a short hike) 4,083' to German flats road (not lift served but transport provided in an official capacity) 1250' --> comes out to 2833'. If it is a good snow year, you can add about 6-7 ft to that.

Honorable mention goes to Smugglers Notch. Cross Sterling Pond and hike up 1-200 ft to 3100-3200, ski down to the upper parking lot at about 1800. Gives you 1300-1400. Not sure this is officially on the map though.

Stowe could give you 1600+ off of Chin Clip though the typical entry and exit points for most people gets you about 1200. Bonus points if you hike up and ski from the summit down to Rt 108.... 2600+ but that is definitely not on the map.

One not to forget is Burke- the glades off of East Bowl can get you 1000+. Fun mountain!

spiderpig

Test Pilot at Stratton has got to be over 1000vtf
Kidderbrook Quad was almost 1500 vertical, and Test Pilot only really misses the last drop of the trail next door, so it would qualify.

It looks like none of the Killington runs mentioned qualify.

I was looking at Supernova at Okemo, but it misses too much of the top of the trail pod, I think.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Kidderbrook Quad was almost 1500 vertical, and Test Pilot only really misses the last drop of the trail next door, so it would qualify.

It looks like none of the Killington runs mentioned qualify.

I was looking at Supernova at Okemo, but it misses too much of the top of the trail pod, I think.

100% Growler, Centerpiece, and Julio are over 1,000 feet vertical at a minimum. You don't lose more than a few dozen vertical feet getting to or running out of those glades. Heck with Growler and Julio if you miss the entrance you'll be at the second-to-last tower on both the Superstar and Bear quads.

jaytrem

Would think one or more of the Burnt Ridge glades at Gore would qualify. Lift is listed as 1437.