• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Butternut 12-11 TR

planb420

The wife and I decided to take a trip up north a bit the Ski Butternut for the day on 12-11 and were treated to some STELLAR CONDITIONS on their slopes! They had 14 of their trails open with fresh machine groomed conditions, dusted with about 3" of freshies on the edges of the trails. Everything was excellently groomed and maintained, they were making snow on Lucifers Leap, Twist, West Way, and a few other trails by the overbrook triple chair until about 1pm. The slopes were immaculate for early season conditions and it all being man made, there was ZERO ice anywhere on the mountain and the surface held well throughout the day, and we experienced fair weather with good amounts of sun. Never got really crowded at all, if I had one complaint (small as it is...) it would be that the park was a bit less than I had hoped for. They had 7-9 features, but they were all kinda vanilla compared to what I'm used to from them (but its also early season so I can see why), I just saw some videos from opening weekend with a few more good features in there...but I guess they were removed for snowmaking purposes. All in All, GREAT JOB SNOWMAKERS AND GROOMERS for presenting us with a stellar product that is also MORE THAN AFFORDABLE! Ski Butternut my Favorite spot in Ma!:wink:
k and I.jpgIMG_20131211_131244_596.jpgIMG_20131211_123505_673.jpgIMG_20131211_132423_877.jpg:spin:

C-Rex

Couple things:

1) You are incredibly lucky to be able to share lift rides and runs with your special lady. I've found that finding a girl that likes to slide on snow is pretty difficult these days. Never take it for granted!

2) Butternut is a great mountain. They allow CSC members to never spend more than $25 for a ticket and they always have a great product. The park definitely gets better as the season goes on. If they opened up some glades the place would be perfect for a smaller mountain.

3) Next time you are up there head into Great Barrington after and get some food at Gypsy Joynt (http://www.gypsyjoyntcafe.net/). They have a great beer selection, awesome food, and the baked goods are out of this world. The place has a very cool vibe.

Glad you had some good times up there. The Berkshires are often overlooked, but the 4 main hills (Jiminy, Butternut, Catamount, and Berkshire East) all have great stuff to offer for a low price. (except Jiminy, that is. They are WAY over priced but still a good place to ski or ride)

JimG.

Staff member
Not sure I agree that Jiminy is overpriced for lift tickets and such. I like that they offer blocks of ski time (4 hours) or an 8 hour ticket. They also have a pretty good deal after 2:30pm for skiing right through 10pm closing.

However, their foodservice is the most expensive I have seen and that includes Killington.

ScottySkis

Couple things:

1) You are incredibly lucky to be able to share lift rides and runs with your special lady. I've found that finding a girl that likes to slide on snow is pretty difficult these days. Never take it for granted!

2) Butternut is a great mountain. They allow CSC members to never spend more than $25 for a ticket and they always have a great product. The park definitely gets better as the season goes on. If they opened up some glades the place would be perfect for a smaller mountain.

3) Next time you are up there head into Great Barrington after and get some food at Gypsy Joynt (http://www.gypsyjoyntcafe.net/). They have a great beer selection, awesome food, and the baked goods are out of this world. The place has a very cool vibe.

Glad you had some good times up there. The Berkshires are often overlooked, but the 4 main hills (Jiminy, Butternut, Catamount, and Berkshire East) all have great stuff to offer for a low price. (except Jiminy, that is. They are WAY over priced but still a good place to ski or ride)

Potterbrothers.com has lots of deals for all those hills and several different discounts for Jiminy.

planb420

For sure! She didnt start out liking it but once I got her out once the "Bug" was caught and the past 3 seasons she has come out with me...not as much as I'd like, but we are getting there!
Just stoked she can maker it to the peak's now rather than just the bunny slopes!

steamboat1

For sure! She didnt start out liking it but once I got her out once the "Bug" was caught and the past 3 seasons she has come out with me...not as much as I'd like, but we are getting there!
Just stoked she can maker it to the peak's now rather than just the bunny slopes!

My wife skied for over 25 years & was a pretty good skier. She gave it up about 6 years ago. Not saying this will happen to you but enjoy it while it lasts. I envy see couples that know how to ski skiing together.

uncleezno

I am going to Butternut this weekend, and was planning on spending a lot of time there this winter in an effort to improve my skills close to home. I didn't realize it was SO cheap with a CSC membership - looks like I'm joining the club! Thanks for the tip!

EDIT: Your wife gets bonus points for the rainbow Domo-kun hat!

Last edited: