• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Gear Inventory

dblskifanatic

This discussion was in the Sugarbush thread and actually warrants its own conversation. I have been reading about some cut backs with Ski manufactures to allow bloated inventories to be diminished. The article in the link below discusses this. March and April are big months for off loading inventory prior to new gear arriving but the sales during those months were low to non existent especially with brick and mortar stores. We took advantage of sales in March and got great deals on boots but they do not seem to translate into now - not sure why.

I was talking to Alpine options today. They are saying that the manufacturers are cutting down on what they produce and ship for winter goods. So If you plan to buy something for this winter, you better do it now before the small stock they get is gone.

Seems strange to cut production since outdoor goods have been selling out. I wonder if they’ve determined that restricted access to ski areas will cut demand?

That very well may be the case. I can't speak to why but I know that it is happening.

https://realskiers.com/revelations/the-ripple-effect/

Glenn

Wondering how the Labor Day tent sales looked this year. We didn't make out this time around.

2Planker

Wondering how the Labor Day tent sales looked this year. We didn't make out this time around.

Tent's were super busy last weekend in the MWV.
REI, Joe Jones, Stan & Dan's, & the Outlet were all packed Sat & Sun.
They did have a lot of left over 19/20 stock, and it's priced to move.

mikec142

I haven't browsed through all of the emails that I get to determine if there's actually inventory behind those "50-75% off" emails that I get.

However, what I do know is that my local retailer usually has an end of season sale on equipment and apparel. Usually I'm able to get a bunch of good deals, but this year in particular I was able to get several screaming deals as they had a lot more sale inventory. I assume that this is because retail shut down in mid-March and they still had a lot of stuff. Whereas normally they would have had a few more weeks to sell at higher prices.

I didn't "need" anything. But there were things that I was very happy to buy because I wanted them and they were available at a great price. I have a great, insulated jacket from Eider that isn't very old. My one criticism is that it's not gore-tex so in wet or snowy weather, it eventually gets soggy and heavy. I actually tend not to even notice it until I take a warming break or stop to eat. When I take it off, I'm not thrilled to put it back on.

So I found the following at 50% off:

SunIce quarter-zip baselayer that I've already worn a number of times.
Arcteryx Thorium AR puffer
Arcteryx Sabre LT Gore-Tex Shell

It's funny because I know the way that I think. I grabbed the baselayer and the puffer back in June. I looked at the shell, but even at 50% off, I couldn't pull the trigger. But I couldn't get it out of my mind and I went back to see if it was there in late August and sure enough it was still there. I couldn't resist. I love the Arcteryx stuff but the prices are insane and thus I'm only willing to buy when I find a deal like these.

dlague

I haven't browsed through all of the emails that I get to determine if there's actually inventory behind those "50-75% off" emails that I get.

However, what I do know is that my local retailer usually has an end of season sale on equipment and apparel. Usually I'm able to get a bunch of good deals, but this year in particular I was able to get several screaming deals as they had a lot more sale inventory. I assume that this is because retail shut down in mid-March and they still had a lot of stuff. Whereas normally they would have had a few more weeks to sell at higher prices.

I didn't "need" anything. But there were things that I was very happy to buy because I wanted them and they were available at a great price. I have a great, insulated jacket from Eider that isn't very old. My one criticism is that it's not gore-tex so in wet or snowy weather, it eventually gets soggy and heavy. I actually tend not to even notice it until I take a warming break or stop to eat. When I take it off, I'm not thrilled to put it back on.

So I found the following at 50% off:

SunIce quarter-zip baselayer that I've already worn a number of times.
Arcteryx Thorium AR puffer
Arcteryx Sabre LT Gore-Tex Shell

It's funny because I know the way that I think. I grabbed the baselayer and the puffer back in June. I looked at the shell, but even at 50% off, I couldn't pull the trigger. But I couldn't get it out of my mind and I went back to see if it was there in late August and sure enough it was still there. I couldn't resist. I love the Arcteryx stuff but the prices are insane and thus I'm only willing to buy when I find a deal like these.

Arcteryx does make nice stuff but I always find it hard to justify! I have not seen to many apparel deals but I am curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

asnowmobiler

Local shop near me has a 50% everything sale July 4th, I picked up a pair goggles that I really didn't need but couldn't pass on.
I've bought so much stuff the last few year that I have things I haven't even used yet.:smash: