• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Music

Angus

What are you listening too?

do you mean when you're skiing/riding? nothing. I think it's dangerous to have headphones and music in your ears when skiing. But typically, I do like the song selection they play at the MRG single - Stevie Ray Vaughan for example.

steamboat1

The best ski area music is played by the lift attendant at the top of the Super Bravo chair at Sugarbush. I think his name is Jon. He's always blasting some great classic rock. He's not bad at decorating the lift terminal either.

jaja111

I dunno if its not safe. I just can't do it. I tried and was shocked at how much more I use my ears than I thought. I hear conditions change under my feet before I usually see or feel them.

Smellytele

I have 1 ear plug in listening to my ipod on shuffle. i try to sit on the side of the chair that I have it in so I can hear my fellow chair mates. Anything from GD to beastie boys, rage against the machine, John Coltrane, Dave Brubeck - anything but country (well I do have some Johnny Cash).

Bene288

I initially thought this said "ska music", and I got excited. I don't listen to music when I ski, I find that with all the yahoos out there I need to have my ears open, I need to listen for that inevitable 'swsssshhhhhhhhh' that snow boards make right before they crash into you from behind.. If it's absolutely dead on the mountain I could understand it.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I rarely listen to music while skiing but I do have music "in my head" while I am skiing.

This song has been stuck in my head for the last few days and makes me think of ripping a nice line

dmc

do you mean when you're skiing/riding? nothing. I think it's dangerous to have headphones and music in your ears when skiing. But typically, I do like the song selection they play at the MRG single - Stevie Ray Vaughan for example.
T

Tell that to my friend Laura who KILLS in the moguls and is deaf...

dmc

I like to listen to hip hop/ funk / or Grateful Dead when I ride..
I never had a problem avoiding anyone because I choose to listen to music...
And I really don't care to hear inbounds sounds..

Edd

I didn't do it much last year but I'm ok with listening to tunes even when I'm skiing with friends. I just keep the volume low and it's nice.

As far as liftees playing tunes the guys at Cannon's summit lift always have great music cranking.

makimono

Only when skiing solo, and only maybe half the time at that.

What I listen to depends a lot on mood and terrain, but I love banging bumps with something fast paced like Agent Orange or Fishbone. If I'm just cruising maybe some Bob Marley or John Lee Hooker. I'll usually put together a mix the night before.

4aprice

I listen to music all the time. Never have had any problems or come close to having any collisions because of it. Always aware of whats going on around me.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Cornhead

Just make sure you're the fastest skier/boarder on the hill...as long as no one is coming up from behind you, you should be okay! ;-) I never used to listen to music while I skied, then I went to a Hope on the Slope once at two in the morning. I brought an AM/FM Walkman with me because I knew the chairlift ride and the one trail open would be boring. I wanted to see the sunrise from the top of the hill, something you'd have to hike to experience usually. I've been skiing with tunes ever since. Last year I was on a RHCP kick, Snow, Hey Oh, is pretty cool to ski to during a dump. I need to make some playlist, I end up at the top of the hill....can't ski to that, click, can't ski to that either, click, etc.

Drowns out all the snowboard scraping going on. That was one thing I noticed at MRG, it's a lot quieter there than your average hill.

Last edited: