• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Reporter Dies During Police Chase

dl

Website
www.orbtialskiing.com
Anyone see this in today's Boston Globe?

WEST BOYLSTON - A ski industry writer from Princeton jumped to his death from the Quinapoxet Bridge yesterday after leading police on an early-morning, 3-mile pursuit. Roger A. Leo, 64, died after jumping headfirst off the Interstate 190 bridge to a rocky embankment 47 feet below.

Leo’s death came after Princeton police responded to a 911 call at 12:15 a.m. on Houghton Road, about 2 miles from Leo’s house.

At the Houghton Road address, Leo allegedly tried to drown a man who lives there in the family pool. State Police said he then struck the man with a cinder block.

Leo, who knew the married couple living at the residence, fled in a 2005 Jeep Liberty, prompting the pursuit that ended at the Quinapoxet Bridge, officials said.

David Procopio, a State Police spokesman, said Leo’s arrival at the house was not a random act. He said an autopsy will be conducted.

The victim, whom police would not name, is being treated for injuries, officials said.

Leo had a 34-year career at the Telegram & Gazette, including work as a reporter, photo editor, local news editor, outdoor and ski columnist, and editorial writer. After retiring in 2005, he was a ski industry writer and blogger, including Eastern seaboard editor for OnTheSnow.com.

He reported and photographed from points around the world, including Alaska, Afghanistan, and Iraq, where he was embedded with the First Battalion, Eighth Cavalry Regiment in Baghdad.

Some of his frontline images from Iraq and Afghanistan were displayed at a 2009 exhibit at the Princeton Arts Society. He also wrote a blog called Men at War, chronicling his visits to the areas.

The Princeton police log indicates police received two 911 calls shortly after midnight. The first call was abandoned but the second call “came in again as a party reporting her husband is fighting with someone out in their driveway. Party disconnected call due to being concerned for her children in the house.’’

On a call back to the residence, the woman put her husband on the phone.

Princeton police, joined later by State Police, tried to stop Leo southbound on Route 140. The pursuit continued onto Interstate 190, State Police said.

The pursuit, which lasted less than 3 minutes, reached speeds between 50 and 75 miles per hour, State Police said.

Leo’s Jeep slowed down and pulled into the breakdown lane where it traveled for a short distance before stopping at the Quinapoxet Bridge, which spans the West Boylston-Holden line and can reach a height of 117 feet.

At 12:38 a.m., Leo exited his vehicle and ran southbound for about 130 feet. Trooper Matthew Moran pursued and ordered him to stop.

“Trooper Moran, still running after him, yelled at him to not jump, but immediately observed the man jump headfirst over the right side of the bridge,’’ State Police said in a release.

The death is being investigated by Troop C of the State Police and State Police detectives.

ttkartracer

Yeah I saw that article in the Worcester Telegram. I noticed Wachusett has already removed his blog from their web site. I wonder if we will ever get the whole story as to what actually led to his death.

nelsapbm

He was a very active member of the NELSAP community. We're all pretty shocked.
He may have posted here as well. Went by Roger47 on NELSAP.

ttkartracer

Funny but not funny at the same time. At its high point that bridge is 120 feet high. I will miss his blog always got the scuttlebut about what was going on at Wachusett.

deadheadskier

Staff member
apologies for the insensitive joke

and condolences to the family and friends of Roger

crazy world we live in

bvibert

Staff member
Very sad and crazy story. It makes me wonder what was going on?

My condolences to all involved...

wa-loaf

That's crazy. He certainly seemed like a good guy from the Wachusett blog.

Glenn

That's a really odd situation. Maybe over the next few days, some light will be shed on to what exactly happened.

bobbutts

dhs is kind of like gss in that he's clearly the jackass of the group, but I gather gss is a nice guy while dhs is a douche bag

deadheadskier

Staff member
dhs is kind of like gss in that he's clearly the jackass of the group, but I gather gss is a nice guy while dhs is a douche bag

:lol:

okay buddy. tell you what. why don't we meet up for some turns and a beer this winter before you pass judgement?

Cannonball

A new postology: the insightful non-sequitur

:lol:

okay buddy. tell you what. why don't we meet up for some turns and a beer this winter before you pass judgement?

That's funny! I completely misread that. Thought BobB was saying "dmc" and "gss". Seemed randomly out-of-place but possibly insightful.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
That's funny! I completely misread that. Thought BobB was saying "dmc" and "gss". Seemed randomly out-of-place but possibly insightful.

For a brief moment I thought the same thing. Anyway he apologized....

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

jimmywilson69

It all sounds kind of bizarre. Maybe he got into some drugs and lost his marbles.

I read something last week about a kid in Florida who ate a bunch of ectasy, killed his parrents with a hammer and then threw a party. :-o

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I guess when you have 300 million people in a country there is a good chance someone will do something really stupid every couple days. Like the guy that stuck his baby in the microwave. :puke:

AdironRider

Sounds to me like the guy who got his ass kicked might have been having an affair with the jumpers wife. I mean what else other than pure insanity would bring a seemingly normal dude to do this?