• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ski sundown 1/12/14 after the rain

Snowlover

http://vimeo.com/83968063

a look down canyon run, nor easter and temptor.

all is well its skiing soft, and the sun is trying to come out. its pretty much empty...

when will people learn about snow making? There's plenty up on the mountain.
It's all about quality of the snow and lift tickets are expensive. I don't see myself paying 56 bucks(no 2 hour tickets available) to ride sub par conditions on a very small hill. Although, at least it didn't go back below freezing so it's probably like mash potatoes out there, which is better than a sheet of ice.

Tin

It's all about quality of the snow and lift tickets are expensive. I don't see myself paying 56 bucks(no 2 hour tickets available) to ride sub par conditions on a very small hill. Although, at least it didn't go back below freezing so it's probably like mash potatoes out there, which is better than a sheet of ice.

Mashed potatoes and moguls are a wonderful thing in CT in January after many places just lost a ton of snow and are ice rinks. Maybe you should actually try skiing Sundown instead of complaining about it on each trail report someone posts and being an online pest.

Snowlover

have you tried hanging out in the parking lot, paying someone leaving for their ticket and get their leftover hours?
That sounds like a good idea. But it's too far to drive for me for that at sundown.(since it's a crap shoot) But maybe at southington.

bvibert

Staff member

Your loss, definitely not sub par conditions today. Unless you're still insisting that anything less than fresh powder is sub par? In that case you would have been disappointed.

I'm glad you stayed home, it made more room for the parking lot full of people who were able to recognize decent conditions.

Snowlover

Your loss, definitely not sub par conditions today. Unless you're still insisting that anything less than fresh powder is sub par? In that case you would have been disappointed.

I'm glad you stayed home, it made more room for the parking lot full of people who were able to recognize decent conditions.
Thanks for the passive aggressive friendly advice Brian! Another nice guy on here. :)

I NEVER pay more than 35 bucks to ski ct unless it's a powder day on the weekend.

Snowlover

For what sundown offers, they should be charging 20 bucks for a 4 hour lift ticket on weekdays and 30 on weekends max. It's a tiny hill.CT ski area's are way overpriced. Also, sundown is more terrain park oriented and has limited amount of trails. I much prefer mohawk, which has way more trails/way more acres/wider trails/more natural snow due to higher elevation and no terrain park. I miss the 20 buck tickets they offered last year though. That was a good deal. They increased it to 30 with no time limit. If you're not a terrain park guy, sundown doesn't make much sense.

Snowlover

so we won't be meeting at sundown to make some turns together?

I still go there for a chance of pace/scenery once in a while, but mohawk is def better. No comparison. I like the way sundown tends to leave a lot ungroomed. I'll give them props for that. But it gets tracked so quick due to small size. They need more trails/wider trails. It's really just a few narrow trails...everything except gunny emptying out into exhibition(the only wide trail, but all the trails converge so it's hard to do those wide turns I like since I have to look uphill to be safe). And they bump off half of gunny last year I think. Just Very small area. They have a terrain park on a green trail(who does that?) and I think they were putting some features on sunnyside? They seem to be catering to the teeny boppers in avon/farmington ect. who want to be next shaun white.

Which do you prefer?

bvibert

Staff member
If Sundown charged $20 for a ticket it would be overrun with people, and the product would suffer greatly. As it is now the parking lot fills up on a regular basis. It certainly doesn't compare to anything in VT, but it's got the best terrain and conditions in CT, and there's plenty of people willing to pay for it.

Your post once again proves that you really don't know anything about the ski industry. I'm starting to wonder if you even know how to ski at all?? A lot of your 'opinions' sound like something someone who's only skied once or twice might say.

deadheadskier

Staff member
For what sundown offers, they should be charging 20 bucks for a 4 hour lift ticket on weekdays and 30 on weekends max. It's a tiny hill.CT ski area's are way overpriced.

Ski areas aren't charities. They charge what the market will bare. All of them. From the mega-resort to little feeder hills.

You might not want to pay their prices, but others do.

Snowlover

If Sundown charged $20 for a ticket it would be overrun with people, and the product would suffer greatly. As it is now the parking lot fills up on a regular basis. It certainly doesn't compare to anything in VT, but it's got the best terrain and conditions in CT, and there's plenty of people willing to pay for it.

Your post once again proves that you really don't know anything about the ski industry. I'm starting to wonder if you even know how to ski at all?? A lot of your 'opinions' sound like something someone who's only skied once or twice might say.
I should post a video of me carving some turns. You'd eat your words. Mohawk charged 20 for YEARS and did just fine. Had more terrain than sundown as well. And I totally disagree about best terrain in ct. Sorry, but one steep trail gunny that was half bumped doesn't cut it. Mohawk has multiple trails nearly as steep and a bunch of blues and a few greens that aren't totally flat like sundown's