• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown March 25, 2011

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Date(s) Skied: March 25, 2011

Resort or Ski Area: Ski Sundown, New Hartford, CT

Conditions: Varied: soft spring snow in the sunny parts with the same getting crunchy in the shaded parts, tons of coverage, no people, no lift lines, no idea why nobody was there GETTING SOME.

Trip Report: Decided to take the kids out for some rare after-school skiing (and the first time I've skied with both of them by myself). Took forever to get them ready but we finally got on that chair without any mishaps and rode to the top. Mind you, my kids will be 6 and 4 in 2 months. I was nervous.

Went Nor'easter (a blue trail) to Exhibition for the first run. Other than the fact that my 4-year-old insisted upon skiing the left side of the top of Nor'easter, it went well. He fell once on lower Nor'easter and his big sister kept going, oblivious. Took some yelling to get her to stop so I could get him sorted out and we could continue on. The 6-year-old relies a lot on the power wedge but was working on her parallel turns on the flats. The 4-year-old has great control already and can do a lot of short, quick turns (albeit wedge turns) when he wants to.

Second run was down Nor'easter to Temptor (a black trail). This was a great run until the little guy took off and his big sister fell uphill from me. I kept shouting to him to stop but he wanted to keep on going to the bottom. He fell twice, picked himself back up, and kept going while I was trying to get her back on her skis and going again. Talk about heart stopping. He finally ceased just at the bottom of Temptor, right at the trail merge and almost out of view. Once I got her going again, I had to take off to catch up with him (the highlight of the trip--the only "real" skiing I got to do) and hold him back. Turns out he needed to go potty.

After that, they wanted dinner, too, so we called it a day. 45 min preparation, 30 min to drive there, 10 minutes waiting to get my lift vouchers and redeem them...all for 2 runs. I was fine with it.

They're doing great and the little guy has some real potential in him. But it's really stressful trying to keep them close by. I don't know how Brian does it!

Here are some lousy cell phone photos:

Don't mind the gloved finger:
196389_10150177023986257_624361256_8743990_8258149_n.jpg

Lots of coverage on Exhibition:
200388_10150177024271257_624361256_8743994_3290999_n.jpg

Look at all that snow stockpiled in those jumps on Stinger:
190201_10150177024801257_624361256_8744003_5250825_n.jpg

Not the little guy, but it won't be long...
197224_10150177025946257_624361256_8744019_2610890_n.jpg

Last edited:

planb420

Totally have to agree with the snow depths...I hope they can push into the first week of April...if that pesky rain moves on that is. It was REAL dead and yet the conditions are some of the best in the last 2 weeks...minimal bare spots popping up and the overhaul of each park IS GREAT!!!! Here is an entry from my snow log about Toms today that might shed some light on the awesomeness it contained:
"Toms Treat was the BEST RUN BY FAR!!!!! The roller style park they built began right at the top with a BIG barrel bonk on the upper right (where the rock jump usually is), followed by a mini gap jump on the extreme right elbow of the trail, down to a jump to spine thingy (best way to describe it w/o seeing it), then a roller to roller mini jump on the knuckle just before where the park usually starts, then the usual shotgun down, flat rail, urban flat rail, then another mini gap jump riders right, followed by a cross left to 2 BIG rollers into a mini kicker where the mini box used to be...EPIC! I sent most of my day over there in that roller coaster style of park...freerider fun, my favorite part was that all the mini gap jumps and barrel bonk could be hit as a hip as well."

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

bvibert

Staff member
Sounds pretty awesome. I hope they open again next weekend so I have one more chance to ski the institution this season!

planb420

looks like they could to me...we just need bodies on the slopes this weekend!!! PEOPLE PLEASE COME THE CONDITIONS ARE STILL BANGIN!!!!! :) :) :)

MommaBear

Nice job Severine! Seems nerve wracking at first but it will improve quickly. As for how Brian does it, I'm guessing he doesn't worry as much if they stray too far - its a guy thing...lol!

Didn't realize the mountain was still in such good shape - will try to rally a few people and send them over this weekend.

planb420

Here is a sequence of pictures taken from top to bottom in the park on Toms treat to give you a better idea then my description would...ENJOY:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

COME OUT AND PLAY!!!!!!!!:daffy::spread::beer:

halifax

Skied Sundown today ... it was GREAT! Actually had top to bottom skiable snow on Gunbarrel on skier's L.

Didn't come across an ice patch all day ... cold wx ... windy ... the lot was like 1/10th of capacity until noon, when it maybe doubled. Bad day to skip skiing.

With the forecast coming, can't see any reason why they won't open next weekend ... unless they are making zip at the ticket window.

4aprice

severine;612743 [b said:
Conditions: [/b]Varied: soft spring snow in the sunny parts with the same getting crunchy in the shaded parts, tons of coverage, no people, no lift lines, no idea why nobody was there GETTING SOME.

It's not just Sundown Severine. Was at Killington yesterday and didn't wait for a single chair or gondola and the conditions were just great. Whiteface today was pretty much empty as well. While its a great thing to have a private mountain and good weather its easy to see why many of these places close despite great conditions. Unfortunately there's very few of us hard cores. I salute you for getting out there.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Thanks for the report, going to try and get there Sunday.
I should be there late afternoon with the kids.

It's not just Sundown Severine. Was at Killington yesterday and didn't wait for a single chair or gondola and the conditions were just great. Whiteface today was pretty much empty as well. While its a great thing to have a private mountain and good weather its easy to see why many of these places close despite great conditions. Unfortunately there's very few of us hard cores. I salute you for getting out there.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
Indeed, that is the problem. I've never seen so much coverage this late in the season at little ole Sundown (mind you, I haven't been skiing all that long either...) and it would be a shame to see them close early just because nobody is coming out and enjoying it. But I completely understand that decision, too. Gotta do what you gotta do...