• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skier Dies at Whiteface

Warp Daddy

Published December 29, 2008 11:10 pm - A New Jersey skier died on Whiteface Mountain Monday afternoon after exiting John's Bypass Trail and hitting a tree.

Skier dies in Whiteface accident

By LUCAS BLAISE
Contributing Writer

WILMINGTON — An out-of-town skier died on Whiteface Mountain Monday afternoon after exiting a connector trail and hitting a tree.

Gerald M. Reilly, 44, of Morristown, N.J., was skiing on John's Bypass Trail, a connector that's accessed from the top of Little Whiteface via the gondola.

In a news release, Ray Brook-based State Police reported that Reilly lost control, "exited the trail and entered an adjacent wooded area, striking a tree and coming to rest."

Reilly was transported to the base of the mountain by Whiteface Ski Patrol. He was pronounced dead at 12:36 p.m. at Adirondack Medical Center in Lake Placid.

An autopsy by Dr. C. Francis Varga, of Adirondack Medical Center Morgue in Saranac Lake, revealed Reilly died from traumatic internal injuries due to a skiing accident, the news release said.

According to Whiteface Mountain's Web site, 43 of 76 trails were open Monday, most of which were intermediate and beginner level.

Essex County Coronor Walter Marvin Jr. ruled the death to be an accident.

John's Bypass is a medium-difficulty trail, with wooded areas on both sides and a steep incline on the right.

The trail connects two intermediate trails Excelsior and Lower Cloudspin.

Warmer weather over the weekend may have affected mountain conditions.

Whiteface Mountain's Web site forecasted a mixture of loose and frozen granular snow for all its trails and wind gusts up to 15 mph Monday morning.

Warp Daddy

HPD would prolly know what went on . , my guess some blue ice hardpack scraped off conditions etc ,coupled with limited routes down the mtn that day

dmc

Was at Gore yesterday.... Saw fish under the ice it was so bad in places... :)

Sorry for the loss..

drjeff

Was at Gore yesterday.... Saw fish under the ice it was so bad in places... :)

Sorry for the loss..

Yeah i heard that from some friends who were there -- need your freakin GINSU skis now

there were some high traffic chokes that scared me to death...

Interesting place...

As a whole, this has to be one of the most bizzare vacation weeks snow conditions wise across the entire country. It seems like a good portion of the west, you sneeze right now and set off a HUGE slide. In the east, we've had spring skiing, followed by the mandatory freeze up/wind machine/dust on crust/death cookies/etc. Wacky stuff to say the least!

As a whole, this has to be one of the most bizzare vacation weeks snow conditions wise across the entire country. It seems like a good portion of the west, you sneeze right now and set off a HUGE slide. In the east, we've had spring skiing, followed by the mandatory freeze up/wind machine/dust on crust/death cookies/etc. Wacky stuff to say the least!

pretty normal stuff...did it say if the guy was wearing a helmet?

Kerovick

My thoughts go out to his family.

I hope the conditions are gonna improve by this weekend. I'm driving up there Saturday.