• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing icy bike trails

urungus

I’ve recently started exploring the woods at Berkshire East. It’s been fun to discover some new lines by following the bike trails that cross-cross the glades. However I sometimes feel like I am trapped on an icy bobsled track and worry about launching over the side of the berm into a tree. The bike trails are often too narrow to turn within, so I am doing an ungainly “pizza” maneuver in the steep sections to keep my speed under control. Any advice on how to slow down on these icy tracks ?

06E87E79-625B-427E-A92D-F2DB136B7243.jpeg

machski

Sharp edges? Seriously, not sure how BE formed their trails, but some areas dug out on backside of banked turns leaving huge potholes there. So be careful, a tree may not be the only hazard off track.

Bumpsis

The bike trails are often too narrow to turn within, so I am doing an ungainly “pizza” maneuver in the steep sections to keep my speed under control. Any advice on how to slow down on these icy tracks ?
Do what winter bikers do: put some studs on your skis :)
Following narrow icy tracks in the woods?? Sounds like a death wish...

urungus

Do what winter bikers do: put some studs on your skis :)
Following narrow icy tracks in the woods?? Sounds like a death wish...

The Beast glade is insane, it’s even more of a death wish leaving the bike tracks. Although I was able to finally discover the original Beast “trail” the other day ... yikes !

urungus

Was very nice today at Berkshire East. Here’s the entrance to Sleeping Jakes, off UMass, about to cut across the Beast glade.

1D5B4D44-7FD4-40DA-A4AD-2CA33B727969.jpeg

MG Skier

I was there Tuesday! It was a great day. It was also my first day there and about a year since I last skied in the trees so I took it easy.
Yeah I "found" some of those bobsled runs, i'll pass on those next time!
Plent to explore there on a powder day YOWSAH! I'll be back!

urungus

Been skiing “The Gronk” (LOL at the name) alot this past week, the banked switchbacks and rollers are pretty fun. It’s like a while ‘nother word exploring the network of bike paths through the woods. Requires a bit of a different mindset as you lose your freedom to choose your own way down.

68334BB0-85DC-4D4B-ABA7-D0456F8F2919.jpeg

urungus

Also skiied over this wooden structure on the Hawleywood trail ... a bit sketchy with nothing preventing you from falling off the side

Stock summer photo
E44FD119-7322-46C4-8E98-67D68CC07472.jpeg