• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skins question

skiNEwhere

So I'm looking to buy my first pair of skins. I'm not doing anything crazy, or back country, I just want to try skiing uphill at Loveland partially for the reason of getting used to skinning, but also for exercise.

I currently have a tele setup on ski logik howitzers (176 length 110 underfoot) with hammerhead bindings.

I talked to the guy working at bent gate mountaineering for a while, and he recommended the G3's. He was telling me that they definitely have more glide than the average skin.

They also had skins make by black diamond (forget the model) which were high grip, low glide.

Not totally sure which I should get since I'll be skinning up Loveland at probably a maximum of a 12-15 degrees and I wouldn't think I would slip back, but if it is icy I might.

I'd like to know how much glide a skin has factors into your buying decision.

snoseek

I have g3 skins and they work great, I'm jealous of your setup...I'm rocking a heavy ass pair of guardians, 194 fatties, and conventional stiff downhill boots. It hurts. BTW, when things are safe check out Dry Gulch, basically one drainage over from chair 8, fun. Hell you can skin right from your house into summer this year I bet!

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hmmmmm. I love my black diamond skins. Never factored into the actual amount of "glide" factor. I have a pretty heavy tele setup probably like yourself and I only find myself sliding on super steep terrain or on like a double fall line. They seem to grip just fine. Over 100 days on my BD's and I can't complain. Id go with BD.

skiNEwhere

So I had one vote for the BD's and one vote for the G3's, I went with the g3's after talking with the tech a little. I had them fit it to the ski and just picked them up, but I am a little concerned.

The skin fits and sticks fine to one ski, but on the other ski, there is quite a bit of excessive thread on the edge, and 1/4 of an inch of the side won't stay stuck to the ski. Don't want to try them now because I'm afraid snow is going to get under the rest of the skin and ruin the glue. Might need to take it back and complain

skiNEwhere

I bought the g3 alpinists. Skinned up Loveland yesterday with no issues whatsoever