• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SkiShoeing with the Altai Hok...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Cool, give us a report once you ski them! I was looking at those and the Marquette. The Hok has a metal edge. Don't know if the climbing skin will give better grip than the scales of the Marquette or not, though the integrated skin isn't full coverage so maybe it is a wash.

My home is right on the edge of an 80 foot 30* drop that extends a mile in each direction with tons of open hardwoods and a rolling hiking trail that parallels a golf course. Also considering a regular light touring ski as well, still not sold on any of these options but always keeping an eye out to see if something would meet the niche I am interested in filling.

RENO

You get to ski these yet? What is the verdict?
No, didn't buy them yet. Would've been nice to have them last week at Killington. We even went snowshoeing on Green Mountain National golf course and it would've been nice to have them there also! :lol:

Attachments

• IMAG0145.jpg
    IMAG0145.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 95

wa-loaf

These look pretty cool. A kids version would be nice too.

madman

I looked at these at Onion River sports this Fall. I had gone up to see the Marquettes and they had just gotten in a pair of these. The Marquettes seemed like something that would work good around the woods of CT, UNTIL you see the Altai! Marquette 9 LBS Alti about 3 LBS M - No Edge A - Edge. I did not get to see the Bindings as they did not have a pair when I was there but after watching the vids I think the universal bindings would be the way to go for me. [I have 3 pairs of boots, Lite to Heavy and want the ability to use as conditions require.] I will be buying a pair soon [145] and will report back.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Could be the skiers, but every video I have seen of the Altai Hok it seems that the ski doesn't allow for really fluid skiing. Obviously, the skis design and function is not a true touring ski but the videos show skiers looking somewhat awkward and constantly on the edge of being out of balance. Seems more of a ski for snowshoers then a snowshoe ski for a skier despite the ski design. So I am curious to hear more experiences, maybe there just isn't any video of good skiers on them yet?

madman

I agree they are not BC Skis however when you see them in person they look alot more fun than. Snow Shoes. I noticed all the Vids I saw were the 125s and I have heard the 145s are more of a Ski. Just to bang around in the woods they seem like something I would like but I would like to see a good skier on them.

Abominable

Gonna bump this old thread up and see if anyone has any experience on these. The look like a great solution for the suburban golf courses, woods and MTB trails I'd like to ski this year (think snow!). Reasonably priced as well, although if anyone has any other metal edged backcounty skis or packages they'd recommend I'd be all ears.

These look like a lot of fun for a short, manageable ski that could still put together some turns at the driving range.

There's been other good threads on the subject:

http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/6704-XC-Backcountry-Setup-What-s-Everyone-Anyone-Using

http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/669-Help-me-pick-introductory-X-C-B-C-gear

Seems like the Altai Hok could be a pretty good deal though, especially with a coupon around Christmas time.

ironhippy

Those threads are at least 10 years old.

Back country ski gear has come a long way in 10 years (really a long way in the last 5 years), so I wouldn't trust those threads for useful information today.

Before you sink money into new gear, I would bring your downhill gear (skis and boots) in a pack on your back and try skiing the hills you are thinking with what you have. You may discover that the angle of the hills is not steep enough to warrant skis and if the skiing is good, you'll get an idea of where you want to go next.