• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Smuggs Sunday 03/14/2013

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I was up at Smuggs today the 13th. Very good. Amazing coverage. Upper mountain trails excellent, mid-mountain good, lower mountain a bit funky/crusty. They opened Liftline at noon (except the steepest middle pitch) which was great and I was in the trees most of the day, surprised by what was still doable.

Any ways, back for more tomorrow on the 14th for their closing day. I have an extra voucher I can offer up if anyone wants to join me for some turns. No charge on the ticket, only looking for company. Need to know before 9:30pm tonight when I log off as I won't check in during the A.M.

Huck_It_Baby

Missed this. I would have loved to meet up. I was at Smuggs yesterday too and was surprised at how good it was. Fresh tracks in the birthday bowls...I wouldn't call it powder but it was fresh!

Savemeasammy

We spent much of our time on sterling because of the visibility on Madonna (my glasses kept fogging up!), but we did hit lift line twice! What a great day. Where are the bowls you are talking about (it was my first trip to smuggs...)?

Huck_It_Baby

We spent much of our time on sterling because of the visibility on Madonna (my glasses kept fogging up!), but we did hit lift line twice! What a great day. Where are the bowls you are talking about (it was my first trip to smuggs...)?

RivercOil didn't show you?

BB's are a pretty large area of chutes and glades which aren't marked on the map although hardly a secret. They lead down into the Notch and you end up on 108. Access via Sterling lift or skin up the hiking trail called Sterling Pond trail or the Long Trail.

Prime skiing. Very wide open glades in some areas.

Savemeasammy

He did tell me about that, but if he called it BB, I didn't hear him! There looks like there's a lot of awesome stuff to be had at Smuggs! Perhaps I/we should look you up next time... I'd love a good tour guide!

Huck_It_Baby

He did tell me about that, but if he called it BB, I didn't hear him! There looks like there's a lot of awesome stuff to be had at Smuggs! Perhaps I/we should look you up next time... I'd love a good tour guide!

Some people call the area the "Back Bowls" and some say "Birthday Bowls". I prefer Birthday Bowls because back bowls sounds like we are ripping off Vail or something.

Anyway, I'd be happy to show you some of the cool stuff up there. The entire Mansfield/Smugglers notch region has become my favorite place to ski in VT.

Last edited:

Savemeasammy

The entire Mansfield/Smugglers notch region has become my favorite place to ski in VT.

I can understand why.

steamboat1

Too bad they are not officially connected anymore. Would be the best ski complex east of the Mississippi.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
You can still ski from Stowe to Smuggs or visa versa. Problem is Stowe doesn't sell a single ride ticket anymore so it's cost prohibitive to buy a Stowe ticket then buy a ticket to ski Smuggs. Smuggs does sell a single ride ticket for $14. As far as I know Stowe & Smuggs have never been "officially" connected.

Huck_It_Baby

Smuggs does sell a single ride ticket for $14. As far as I know Stowe & Smuggs have never been "officially" connected.

Actually 12 dollars! I get a single ride frequently and did so yesterday. Sometimes I head up Madonna then traverse (sometimes bushwhack) the ridge from madonna to sterling and hang out on the pond, eat lunch, jump the big drop back there and then hike up and over towards Stowe and ski into the bowls, skate out on 108 back to Smuggs. Makes for fun and cheap day or 1/2 day of skiing.

steamboat1

Actually 12 dollars! I get a single ride frequently and did so yesterday. Sometimes I head up Madonna then traverse (sometimes bushwhack) the ridge from madonna to sterling and hang out on the pond, eat lunch, jump the big drop back there and then hike up and over towards Stowe and ski into the bowls, skate out on 108 back to Smuggs. Makes for fun and cheap day or 1/2 day of skiing.

Yeah but the whole idea of doing that back in the daY was to ski from Stowe to Smuggs to save at least an hour drive from points south.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
It was fantastic up there both days this weekend. Man, I love Smuggs! Too bad you didn't see my post, would have been great to ski with you.

RivercOil didn't show you?
I didn't know what the gullies were looking like. Given the weather recently, I should have assumed they were still solid. But I was a touch concerned there might have been some open brooks by now. Probably needless caution. Also, I found the natural snow at lower elevation was quite nasty so I assumed the ski out would be pretty bad just before the road. The skiing was really good on the main hill any ways.

Savemeasammy

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1366124010.238479.jpg
Liftline under Madonna. We were able to get this twice. I can still feel my legs burning 2 days later. That must mean Riverc0il and I had a good day...!

Huck_It_Baby

It was fantastic up there both days this weekend. Man, I love Smuggs! Too bad you didn't see my post, would have been great to ski with you.

I didn't know what the gullies were looking like. Given the weather recently, I should have assumed they were still solid. But I was a touch concerned there might have been some open brooks by now. Probably needless caution. Also, I found the natural snow at lower elevation was quite nasty so I assumed the ski out would be pretty bad just before the road. The skiing was really good on the main hill any ways.

Yeah it would have been fun. Maybe another time. My season isn't over yet!

There was plenty of snow in the notch until the very end of the run out on 108 but I never had to remove my skis. The last few hundred vertical of the descent had a notable difference in snow pack however. This coming weekend I doubt if the road will have any snow on it at all.

I think it might be wise to look for turns across the street on the Chin. That extra elevation could make a big difference from here on out.

Savemeasammy

I emailed Steve to say I might be up for Stowe this weekend. I'm not sure if he's into it or not...!

Huck_It_Baby

***EDIT- Meant to quote Steamboat's last post here***

True but I still love that I can get a single ride at Smuggs. I wish more resorts did this.

It's not that bad of a hike between the two resorts in my opinion. The notch road sees a lot of skier and hiker traffic and it's always packed down.

Last edited:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I'm thinking about Stowe for this coming weekend. I have a voucher and they are a strong candidate since they are closing this weekend IIRC. But if conditions are fab, I might go for a hike/climb instead. We'll see how things look later this week.