• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowboard buying

snowsparkles

Hey all! Any advice on buying a new snowboard for a beginner/intermediate snowboarder? My first board was given to me by a friend, and though I have used it the last 3 seasons, it is quite long for me, and I think Im ready for a new one! Thanks :)

Mullen

What kind of riding do you do/ plan to do? Height / weight / foot size would also help point you in the right direction.

planb420

DITTO what Mullen said.....but in all the people I have taught over the years I have noticed that starting out with a rockered board helps a bit because of the chance of less edge catch. Just a suggestion, otherwise post some details and I'd be happy to lend a hand.

Mpdsnowman

The thing is it goes by weight and height. Since your new I would suggest an all mountain board. Reasoning is those types of boards are stiffer than your standard park board and will give you a better feel throughout the mountain. As far as the length I would suggest a slightly shorter board than a longer board simply because it will be easier to turn .

The below will help you size your board..

I am 5'4, 135 lbs. I ride a 149 which is short when I go in the glades. Shorter boards turn easier but dont go as fast. But I also have a 153 (believe me their is a difference) which I use for powder runs. The 153 would be the size I use daily.

My son is 5'11, 275 lbs His short board is a 156 and his big board for powder is a 162. Typically speaking once you get into the really big boards, the extra width comes into play..ie: if your a big person most likely you have larger feet. Anything over size 12 usually means a wider board.

In most cases todays boards have rocker stye in them. The hybrids(a combination of rocker and camber) are really what you want. They are easy to ride and definitely make your turning a lot easier. Brand wise and price wise I like flow boards myself, Never Summers are expensive but worth the beef.

I do suggest going to your local shop. If you are in New England specifically around Massachusetts I know someone who owns a snowboard shop and he will hook you up...

jlboyell

go local and talk to them, but i always give YES a shout out. i rode my buddys ride. ive ridden burton i owned a gnu more recently, until that was stolen in 2011. i went to my favorite shop, and the guy suggested YES. im 190 lbs, its a 158 cm. its stiffer than the other boards ive ridden, took a few runs to readjust, but overall it has helped me become a better more confident rider. its hard to explain but it just feels snappier and lighter. i like it, plus its cheaper than your big companies,ahem burton...