• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So the 3rd day of my bus trip is at Okemo

jimmywilson69

I'm not happy as this takes a day away from Killington, but after months of denial I thought I'd ask whats good to ski there.

Please hold all of the negative comments, blah blah blah. I know Okemo isn't steep, I have seen the 3D trail map site. I'm just looking to have a good time on the 3rd day of my trip. Perhaps with the challenging snow year, it might not have been a bad year to pick Okemo for the 3rd day of the trip...

thanks in advance.

gmcunni

don't know what's open and how the snow is this year but i generally like the blacks off the south face quad and jackson gore express.

get away from the base area and don't go back until the end of the day.

xwhaler

My uncle has a place 10 mins from the base of Okemo just outside Ludlow so I've been cruising around there this year. We normally do Magic on Sat and then Okemo on Sunday AM for the Sunday Solution NH/VT resident rate of $35.

The pros: Good snowmaking system, they are nearly fully open except for glades.
Good lift setup if you can get away from the base area. We like to hit South Face in the AM after a few runs off the Northstar and work our way over to Jackson Gore closer to lunch time.
World Cup off the Northstar chair is a good run with lots of rolling hills. There is some ok terrain over on Jackson Gore as well for the high intermediate/advanced skier to have fun.

The cons: Base area and lodge can get congested. Intersections are trails are poorly designed and can create confusion/lots of people stopping and standing around while other come bombing down.
Not a big fan of the Green Ridge Triple chair...I find those trails get scraped off pretty quickly and the chair is slow. The best benefit to Okemo groomer city is you can bang out a lot of runs quickly with the HSQ's they have.

4aprice

Open up, enjoy it. Okemo's a big place. Go exploring. It's not one of my favorites but I wouldn't turn down a day there. As matter of fact I'm scheduled for a day there next week so let us know how it is.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

jimmywilson69

Thanks for the info. Can anyone ellaborate on the Cluster at the base I keep hearing about. Whats the best way to get up and away from the base?

jimmywilson69

Open up, enjoy it. Okemo's a big place. Go exploring. It's not one of my favorites but I wouldn't turn down a day there. As matter of fact I'm scheduled for a day there next week so let us know how it is.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I'll report back on Monday!

gmcunni

Thanks for the info. Can anyone ellaborate on the Cluster at the base I keep hearing about. Whats the best way to get up and away from the base?

if you are arriving in a bus you'll be parking at the original lodge.

plan a - take one of the 2 base quads up. ski over to the high speed express to the top and never go back to the base lodge again.

plan b - if the 2 quads at the base are PACKED go over the the magic carpet(looker's left of the quads), ride up and ski around the corner to the triple. take it up (only goes 1/2 up mountain) and either ski down to the express OR take the next lift up to the top. never go to the base again until the end of the day.

bheemsoth

They have an odd base configuration, where you have to ride the beginner area lift, then ski towards skiiers right to access the main mountain. It's a bit of a pain, but lift lines for the beginners lift are usually short or non-existent. It also looks like they may have extended the magic carpet further up towards the summit quad, so that presents an option as well.

EDIT: gmcunni beat me.

xwhaler

Sunday at Okemo will prob be fairly empty with the SB. Lots of NY and NJ plates likely wanting to get back home in plenty of time to watch the G-Men hopefully lose.

I had a tough first time at Okemo last year on a holiday Saturday. Got a comped ticket but the lines were absurd and folks were complaining that Okemo did a bad job not grooming out all the fresh snow. It was frustrating as I love ungroomed and they groom almost everything there...this was after a 12" storm. There was lots of attitude in the lift lines and lodge as well that day.
I actually vowed I may never return to the place but I've had 5 enjoyable days there this season just cruising around with friends.

I'd never pay full price there but the $35 Sunday ticket works well for my wife and I.
I started focusing on what made Okemo good instead of being annoyed at the negatives. I think if you do that you will have a good time.

jimmywilson69

The chairlift

and to think I was going to use my touring skis and skins:???:

It does seem weird that you have to navigate a beginers area to get to the main lift. I guess Killington out of snowshed is the same way, except you only have to take 1 lift to be gone.

xwhaler

It does seem weird that you have to navigate a beginers area to get to the main lift. I guess Killington out of snowshed is the same way, except you only have to take 1 lift to be gone.

Okemo is the same thing....ride one of the 2 quads up the learning area, hook a left and ski down to the Northstar. Northstar brings u up to the top. Or if you see the Northstar has a massive line hop on the Black Ridge triple and ride that up to the other triple or down to Solitude.

There are multiple ways to avoid any congestion. We are usually there at 8:00 sunday AM's and have never once waited in a line until abt 9:30 anywhere on the mtn.

KevinF

Sunday at Okemo will prob be fairly empty with the SB. Lots of NY and NJ plates likely wanting to get back home in plenty of time to watch the G-Men hopefully lose.

I was at Okemo on SuperBowl Sunday during the first Pats / Giants SuperBowl. The place emptied out early afternoon, but it most certainly wasn't "fairly empty" in the morning. Remember, kickoff isn't until 6:30 or so. Boston-based people could ski until 2:30 or so and still not miss anything.

I witnessed more than one liftline fight between Giants and Pats fans on that day, so it wasn't all fans of other teams, those of us don't give a rat's ass about the game, etc.

xwhaler

so if going back to the base lodge for lunch is a no-no, where to eat during the day?

Summitt Lodge could be a good option. It really hasn;t been that busy at Okemo this season so far and I've only skied there 5 Sundays. I've eaten in Jackson Gore a couple times and found no issues getting a table right away. I'm going to be up in the MRV this wknd but lets us know how the crowds are.

gmcunni

so if going back to the base lodge for lunch is a no-no, where to eat during the day?

at top of mountain is good but crowded during peak times. there used to be a Chinese/Japanese type place in the lower level that was good , not sure if it is still there. also a bar available.

there is a place near the base of the express lift. pizza on the bottom floor, regular cafe on main floor (bar too i think).

there is a "nice" restaurant at the solitude base which isn't crowded like the main base or the jackson gore base.

xwhaler

at top of mountain is good but crowded during peak times. there used to be a Chinese/Japanese type place in the lower level that was good , not sure if it is still there. also a bar available.

there is a place near the base of the express lift. pizza on the bottom floor, regular cafe on main floor (bar too i think).

there is a "nice" restaurant at the solitude base which isn't crowded like the main base or the jackson gore base.

Yep, the Asian place is still there...it's called Jump! I haven't tried it yet.
Didnt think of the restaurant near the Northstar lift but yes that could work out as well.

2knees

havent been this year but if you like easy bump runs, they usually have a bunch of them. They do a good job catting their courses and at times have a few natural ones. Probably not any natty ones this year. Sel's Choice, Punchline, Ledges, blackout, bigbang and limelight are usually bumped up. I ski there once or twice a year cause its fun and good for the ego....:)