• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So who is open in the Northeast right now?

WJenness

From Loon's facebook page:

Loon Mountain Resort
Opening Day is tomorrow! We hope you are as excited as we are! We will have 3 miles, 36 acres and 10 trails open. Please note, we will have up and downloading on the Gondola. Early-season lift ticket rates are now in effect. We'll see you tomorrow on the slopes! Here's to a great 2010-2011 season!

Looks like a pretty good opening for Loon.

-w

dmc

Wow , I can see this is tough crowd..8)..All I'm saying is, I would like to see Hunter open with a decent amount of terrain..

Me too... I hate it when areas open with limited terrain... Just jams everyone up...

Maybe I'm getting old.. But I'd rather get top to bottom...

imho - Hunter isn't really open until Claires is online...

dmc

Thanks! At least one person is on my side. These people on Facebook are saying the same thing as the above poster. Am I missing something?

Fingers crossed.. There may've been some last minute work for some fixes of the machinery after the big flood that nearly took out the shop... I think thats all done now..

Looks good until Thurs... when it get ugly..

Then Friday is good again..

I just don't see any good daytime snowmaking opps...

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I wouldn't be too happy if I was a Wildcat passholder.I checked last week and they posted that they are planning a December opening.They say if everything goes right they will open Dec 4th.
Wow! :eek:

I wonder if that is related to difficulties with the transition or if first weekend of December is going to become the new standard? Every major ski area targets Thanksgiving weekend to open. This does not bode well for Wildcat unless this is strictly a transition year issue.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
From Loon's facebook page:

Looks like a pretty good opening for Loon.

-w
I don't recall Loon opening with uploading and downloading via the Gondola. When was the last time they did this? It makes sense for getting things going, that way they do not need to make snow down to the base. I bet they will be top to bottom by the weekend though.

Edd

So for Loon...uploading and downloading on the gondola? Does that mean you ski down from the top of the North Peak HSQ to the top of the gondola to ride back down to the base? I didn't know they did this early season.

snoseek

Wait Loon is open!!!!! I thought this was happening Friday.

AMAC2233

Loon has done the uploading/downloading on the Gondola for at least the last few years. When they say 10 trails it really means 3. Picked rock, flying fox, and bear claw using East Basin to get back up.

SIKSKIER

Well...it is not like Wildcat has nothing else going on. :wink:
Now was Wildcat one that traditionally opened early? I don't recall that being the case, but maybe I am wrong.

No doubt their busy on the ownership end but in most cases the resort runs as it had before until new management is in place.As Riv says,every major ski area targets Thanksgiving weekend as their opening and Wildcat has certainly done that in previous years.

threecy

Website
www.franklinsites.com
Now was Wildcat one that traditionally opened early? I don't recall that being the case, but maybe I am wrong.

Wildcat in recent years has generally been open as long as possible with some (not massive) snowmaking.

If I recall they opened really early a few years ago with a fluke, big fall snow storm.

At least in the past few years, snowmaking has taken place with an eye of a November opening.

SIKSKIER

Wildcat in recent years has generally been open as long as possible with some (not massive) snowmaking.

If I recall they opened really early a few years ago with a fluke, big fall snow storm.

At least in the past few years, snowmaking has taken place with an eye of a November opening.

Yup,they had a 3-4 foot storm at the end of October/early November about 4 years ago.

Last edited:

dmc

Thanks! At least one person is on my side. These people on Facebook are saying the same thing as the above poster. Am I missing something?

my friends on Ski Patrol have shaved their beards... A sure sign of impending opening...

drjeff

Right on their website under mountain facts they list their ski season as MID NOVEMBER to early May.

Argueably, even if there wasn't the ownership transition thing happening now, could they realistically opened up by now/for this coming weekend given the weather this year so far??? Maybe yes, probably no

SIKSKIER

Argueably, even if there wasn't the ownership transition thing happening now, could they realistically opened up by now/for this coming weekend given the weather this year so far??? Maybe yes, probably no

Absolutely Jeff.If Cannon,Bretton Woods,Loon, and Waterville to name a few of their close competitors geographically and resort size can,then they owe it to their base to do the same.

Gnarcissaro

Yup,they had a 3-4 foot storm at the end of October/early November about 4 years ago.

I was fortunate enough to make the trip for this one, it was 2005. It remains the only time I've been to Wildcat. How's that for a first impression? :snow:

We went on October 29th and it was like mid-winter, aside from leaves still on the trees. Pinkham claimed 4-5 feet and I believe it. They actually had trails roped off but everything was poachable and fair game. It was unbelievable.

It's something I'll never forget that only a matter of a few miles down towards Gorham and the ground was bare.

dmc

DMC,

I hope they are the types to wait till the last minute! Maybe Saturday?

Happy Thanksgiving!

It's really cold today... biting windy cold.. Almost surprised to not see guns going..