• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Son's knee injury - ACL tear

Puck it

Just got word yesterday that my son tore his right ACL and has tears in the menicus. The load bearing side (inside of the knee maybe sutured), outside tear is pretty bad though. We are looking at 11/21 for surgery. Should be fine after surgery around May of next year. That is the good news.

The bad news is that he is going into his senior season of hockey in Mass. This means no looks at him for college hockey. He has missed most of the fall midget season too. We think he partially tore it over the summer in July and finished it off a couple of weeks. Both were no hockey related(rollerblading and throwing the football around at homecoming).

We don't want him to PG next year so it will have to be a walk on situation at the school he picks.

This sucks for him.

gorgonzola

sorry to hear that, man.... we just went through it with my daughter - she had her acl done on 10/1, rehab is going good though, she'll lose the crutches this week, started driving tuesday etc. she lost her field hockey and snowboarding seasons though - she's bummed but she's only a hs junior so i'm sure not as much as your son. they used her patellar tendon to replace the acl - is that what your boy's getting or cadavor achilles?

Puck it

I had it done a few years ago also. He will have the patella graft. It is the strongest but the longest recovery. It messes up the chance to play college hockey though. He has been contacted by the UM and the Naval Academy, They are both clubs teams, but may have gotten some DIII looks. The Naval academy is looking to go D1 though.

Hawkshot99

I tore mine last January 19 in a ski crash. Had it repaired on March 19. I am 90% or so I would guess. The only problems I have from it now is when I have been sitting for a long time(hour+) and get up. I limp around for a few mins then it is good to go.

Warp Daddy

Sorry about your boys injury -- yes its tough that it happened at this point and i certainly understand the angst. Hopefully in time things will be much better and he can resume activity -----------

Speaking as a former athlete and coach at the college level -I'd be supportive of whatever he decides but in the long run -- put it in perspective .While hockey is important at this point in his young life he will be IN HIS CAREER ultimately and that is the most important long term focus .

My best to you and your son for a sucessful outcome

Warp

Puck it

Sorry about your boys injury -- yes its tough that it happened at this point and i certainly understand the angst. Hopefully in time things will be much better and he can resume activity -----------

Speaking as a former athlete and coach at the college level -I'd be supportive of whatever he decides but in the long run -- put it in perspective .While hockey is important at this point in his young life he will be IN HIS CAREER ultimately and that is the most important long term focus .

My best to you and your son for a sucessful outcome

Warp

Thanks. We are not overboard on his talent like some parents. This is why he is having the surgery instead of trying to play in a brace. He enjoys the sport and also may have been able to get some $$$ from a college that was interested in him to help us out with the bill.

Warp Daddy

Thanks. We are not overboard on his talent like some parents. This is why he is having the surgery instead of trying to play in a brace. He enjoys the sport and also may have been able to get some $$$ from a college that was interested in him to help us out with the bill.

GREAT attitude !!! I'm sure that he'll be a WINNER in life with parents that have things in PERSPECTIVE

Trekchick

This sux for him, but you're doing the right thing, in getting it taken care of now while he's young and heal-able.

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Question:
Is he one of the people you were going to ski Jackson with?

Puck it

I was going to bring him to Big Sky with me this year since he is a senior this year. You know the senior year coast along. He has not gone in the past because of hockey and school.

Puck it

Update after two weeks, he has full range of motion. He was in surgery for 4 hours. Doc was able to repair the inside cartlidge. He removed about 15% on the outside of the knee. Prognosis looks fine. He is none weight bearing for another few weeks. This sucks because he can not drive himself. He has been going to hockey tryouts and scrimmages and it kills him to watch. They beat Malden Catholic on Sat. (4-3). There are 3 seniors out and one junior. My son and another senior out for knee surgery. Another senior for stupidity(long story). Junior hada cyst removed from tailbone, he should be back in a couple of weeks. Hopefully. The incoming freshmen will make an impact. This is what sucks, they could make a run for the Div 1A state tilte. Also, no college or juniors looks for him this year.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Glad to hear the surgery went well. Rehabbing and recovery suck, but he is young and should heal well. All my best to him!