• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Squaw-Alpine Gondola supposedly a Go

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Big news...as in..literally BIG news! Over 6,000 acres accessible. What's bigger in North America? Whistler, Park City, Alta-Snowbird, maybe Vail?

Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows today announced a comprehensive agreement with the Granite Chief Wilderness Protection League regarding the proposed California Express gondola. The environmental advocacy group will drop its lawsuit contesting approval of the project in exchange for new conservation efforts by the ski resort. The Forest Service issued its Final Record of Decision approving the gondola on January 31st. With these developments, all major hurdles have been overcome.

The lift will be impressive with two base terminals, two mid-stations, two drive systems and two parking facilities. 33 towers will be built along three segments spanning a total of 2.2 miles. A ride along the entire alignment will last 16 minutes. Hourly capacity will be 1,400 guests per hour and direction with eight passenger cabins.

That's not terribly impressive for length. Same as the Skyship at K. Supposedly though the shuttle was something crazy like 30 minutes between the two areas.

https://liftblog.com/2020/02/05/agreement-paves-the-way-for-squaw-alpine-gondola-construction/

Edd

Wow. Man, SV has so much terrain I’m never pining for AM when I’m there.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Kleetus

Hope this doesn't ruin Alpine. Always very laid back and less crowded than Squaw. Alpine also has some awesome terrain, especially off the Scott Chair.

Cool nonetheless and makes it one HUGE area. The shuttle was a crazy 30 min ride. When I have skied both always would alternate days between the two rather than take the shuttle.

Gforce

Combined this would be an impressive offering on par with anything that's out there in N America. Both are epic. I agree that a full day at either one is only practical however eliminating that shuttle ride would be welcomed.

Smellytele

I guess if you are staying at the squaw hotel it would be cool to be able to g EDT over to AM and 16 mins isn’t bad either.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

FBGM

This is just as useless of a gondola as the park city/canyons connector one. A nowhere to nowhere gondola to just say “we have 1 big resort” and San Fran Jerry’s will cream their jeans and come blow money.

raisingarizona

This is just as useless of a gondola as the park city/canyons connector one. A nowhere to nowhere gondola to just say “we have 1 big resort” and San Fran Jerry’s will cream their jeans and come blow money.

Bullshit. Both concepts make a ton Of sense for locals and destination vacationing tourists.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

I largely agree it is big marketing fluff. But still it's a huge selling point in marketing/advertising and removes question if Squaw-Alpine is truly a unified resort. Apparently they don't think too many people will be using it as the capacity is 1,500pph, compared to the "standard capacity" of a gondola being between 2,400-2,800pph, with some gondolas able to push 3,000pph.

FBGM

I largely agree it is big marketing fluff. But still it's a huge selling point in marketing/advertising and removes question if Squaw-Alpine is truly a unified resort. Apparently they don't think too many people will be using it as the capacity is 1,500pph, compared to the "standard capacity" of a gondola being between 2,400-2,800pph, with some gondolas able to push 3,000pph.

Exactly. It’s a marketing gondola. I guess some bean counter said a $20m marketing gondola had an ROI worth it.

I love taking lifts sideways from no where to nowhere. It really helps me not ski. Hopefully there is WiFi in the gondola. So I can instabooksnap all my homies

BenedictGomez

I largely agree it is big marketing fluff.

While I agree they confer a marketing advantage, I disagree in the premise they exist solely for marketing purposes.

I think mountain-connecting lifts are highly functional from a logistics & convenience standpoint (Slidebrook at Sugarbush, Quicksilver at Park City/Canyons). Effectively, they're more than simply ski lifts, they're functionality lifts.

kendo

While I agree they confer a marketing advantage, I disagree in the premise they exist solely for marketing purposes.

I think mountain-connecting lifts are highly functional from a logistics & convenience standpoint (Slidebrook at Sugarbush, Quicksilver at Park City/Canyons). Effectively, they're more than simply ski lifts, they're functionality lifts.

Over Easy at Stowe added a lot of efficiency. 2 minute ride to access either Mansfield or Spruce.

The Squaw - Alpine gondola would be an asset for the residents and guests of the Squaw Village redevelopment. 850+ units with direct access to either resort. Not sure status of project?

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Easy Over at Stowe added a lot of efficiency. 2 minute ride to access either Mansfield or Spruce.

That's a great example too.

It was a P.I.T.A. to go between Spruce & Mansfield, waiting on that shuttle back-in-the-day.

Last edited:

raisingarizona

Easy Over at Stowe added a lot of efficiency. 2 minute ride to access either Mansfield or Spruce.

The Squaw - Alpine gondola would be an asset for the residents and guests of the Squaw Village redevelopment. 850+ units with direct access to either resort. Not sure status of project?

Exactly. And it’s going to be great for tourists that have lodging in Squaw. That whole area has major traffic issues and this is really great for that.

machski

Not quite, it's 1400 guest per hour per direction, so 2800 riders an hour when you add both directions capacity. Most lifts only have one loaded side, this will have both. Need wider spacing to accommodate that.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
Again, did they resolve their disputes with the landowner sandwiched between the two resorts--White Wolf? That guy was recently in the San Francisco Chronicle talking about his plans--albeit in the works for many years if not decades--and he said he was not completely sold on the lift crossing his land and if the mid-station would allow skiers to enter/depart from his resort.

jaytrem

Again, did they resolve their disputes with the landowner sandwiched between the two resorts--White Wolf? That guy was recently in the San Francisco Chronicle talking about his plans--albeit in the works for many years if not decades--and he said he was not completely sold on the lift crossing his land and if the mid-station would allow skiers to enter/depart from his resort.

Yes, Troy Caldwell, they came to an agreement quite a while ago. Unless he changed his mind.