• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sr 11/05/11

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Wow, where was everyone this morning! :beer:

Between Killington being open and folks still without power, Sunday River was damn near empty this morning. 8am start helps too unlike K's 9am.

Skied a baker's dozen worth of runs. I originally planned for half dozen at most before the lines and down loading started to get bad. Aside from one group of a dozen skiers or so, hardly any downloads at all for the first hour and mid-station was never worse than a six chair wait.

Yea, skiing under the guns sucks but whatever. I'd rather ski the guns the wait in lines and suffer a lift slow down every 5 chairs.

Besides, there was enough snow on skier's right of T2 that you could stay mostly out of the guns and ski a pretty decent variable line. Upper Punch was horrific, I only tried it once. Skier's right of T2 kept me saying "one more run" a half dozen times. Must have been pretty good.

Guns started getting turned off around 9:30am. They had em' going all the way down Sunday Punch with a top to bottom line. Doesn't look promising for top to bottom tomorrow but it could happen, depending on how liberal River wants to be with folks wrecking skis and walking out.

Thinking about hiking tomorrow but have to work the PM so we'll see how that plays out....

snoseek

Thanks, I was waiting for a first hand report. Seems good enough for me to get in on.

Zand

Kinda surprised that they're lighting them up top to bottom considering the torch coming this week.

Riverskier

Wow, you got lucky with the crowds! I was there for the 8am opening Sunday. Guns from the mid station down, but nothing on T2 or Upper Punch. Very nice soft groomed snow on both trails! I made it out 2 days last weekend and this was by far the best conditions I have seen so far this year. The crowds on the other hand.... The line at the mid station started backing up before 9am. I took 6 great runs, but with 10+ minute waits, and knowing what the impending download line would look like soon, I downloaded at 10am to beat the crowds. Still well worth the trip and was home in time to get stuff done around the house, and still be ready for the Patriot's 4:15 kickoff.