• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Standup Paddling

midd

spent a few mornings of my honeymoon doing it in Maui. great time, has me considering a purchase for around here.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I saw this for the first time about 2 years ago and itseems to have exploded.

I dunno, I think I'd be more comforable SITTING in a kayak vs. standing around forever. What's the appeal with standing? Is it just more leverage into the water for speed? I guess i tmight be fun if you could balance in the waves and surf along with it but I don't think the boards are designed for that kind of use.

4aprice

I saw this for the first time about 2 years ago and itseems to have exploded.

I dunno, I think I'd be more comforable SITTING in a kayak vs. standing around forever. What's the appeal with standing? Is it just more leverage into the water for speed? I guess i tmight be fun if you could balance in the waves and surf along with it but I don't think the boards are designed for that kind of use.

Sailboarding looks fun (I've tried but never mastered), paddleboarding not so much. I've seen some people fly around and do some pretty amazing things on a sailboard.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

snowmonster

It's a good sport especially if the waves are small. Great core workout and skiers like Julia Mancuso use it for off-season training. Think of it as surfing with the advantage of already being upright so you don't have to worry about the pop-up, plus you get to see further and see the sets come in. There was an article about SUP in the Globe at the start of summer and I noticed a lot more people on the Cape with SUPs after that. Ideally, you would paddle around and then catch a wave in just like in surfing.

If you do decide to get into SUP, please do surfers like me a favor and stay away from the line-up while you're learning. SUP-ers already have an unfair advantage because of their bigger boards. Plus, a runaway board can really really hurt. I know.

ctenidae

I see them in Norwalk Harbor all the time. Some people move along pretty well on them, others fall off a lot.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
We've got some people that stand up paddle on lake bomoseen, it looks pretty relaxing early in the morning...
I just learned to surf last week and what a blast. They had lessons all over for SUP and I see now the draw for being able to ride waves without the pop up, but for me it was all about being able to get up on my own and what a feeling when you finally do!!

snowmonster

We've got some people that stand up paddle on lake bomoseen, it looks pretty relaxing early in the morning...
I just learned to surf last week and what a blast. They had lessons all over for SUP and I see now the draw for being able to ride waves without the pop up, but for me it was all about being able to get up on my own and what a feeling when you finally do!!
Welcome to surfing! Sounds like you're hooked! It's all about THAT feeling. Like walking on water.
some guy paddleboarded from nantucket to hyannis this summer, my ?-- why!!
Because he can.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Welcome to surfing! Sounds like you're hooked! It's all about THAT feeling. Like walking on water.

Thanks! what a sport and complete workout haha. Wish I lived near a place that had decent waves in the summer..something I will keep doing... Looking longingly at skilled surfers! I didn't take a lesson so there are definitely details I overlooked but they were charging $75/2 hrs and I just couldn't see myself paying that. My boyfriend and I watched a short lesson next to us, paid $5 for 2 hours to rent and were standing up after a couple tries!

snowmonster

^ It is addictive, isn't it? Get a longboard next summer and get as much watertime as possible. No substitute for watertime. Once you get past paddling and learning how to make a smooth pop-up, it's all a matter of timing and feel. Only the waves can teach you that. If you find yourself down at the Cape, let me know.