• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

staying back east for one winter maybe?

snoseek

So some folks I sorta like are opening a business and need some help and I'm considering giving them one year to get started. It sounds interesting and I'd be off sun/Mon/tues most weeks. I might do this vs going back to Tahoe. Next year I would go to Utah and start fresh.

Anyhow I'm looking for somewhere to ski that's fun, relatively cheap for a seasons pass and of course vintage new england. It needs to have somewhat cheap lodging close by. I see cannon offers a steeply discounted pass for nh residents that are also veterans, tempted but I grew up on cannon and a little burnt on it.

What about Vermont. I'm thinking maybe a hybrid pass at smuggs. I like hokey low key hills and it seems the snow is abundant ( when it snows). Stowe is too expensive. Killington is a little crazy but ski house options seem good. Jay/Burke pass? Loaf?

Man, I wasn't at all prepared to think about any of this. I guess its not a big deal in the end and I'm not at all bummed as Its temporary. Last time I stayed here for winter I had a fantastic time. Expectations are in check

RustyGroomer

Probably a long way but please give Magic a try. You'll have a guided tour if you decide to. Not that it's so big one is needed. I'd be happy to show you around is all. It's the definition of "vintage New England".

snoseek

Hey thanks for the offer! I will definitely make a point to get a day.

I had a day there, maybe early to mid 2000s, I swear it was like a Monday or Tuesday and it snowed a whole bunch of cold smoke. It was wicked cold but the mountain was quiet...almost too quiet. God that was a good day!

What days are you open?

deadheadskier

Staff member
If you're locating in NH, I'd recommend a military Peaks Granite Pass ($469) and a couple of Fox44 cards ($125ea)

RustyGroomer

Let's see how things pan out over the next few weeks. There's quite a bit going on right now, change. A good one. For the record, I just ski there. Keep an eye on the Magic thread & let me know.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Potentially expanded schedule at Magic? Only reason I didn't recommend it was because of his schedule and Magic being closed Monday through Wednesday.

snoseek

If you're locating in NH, I'd recommend a military Peaks Granite Pass ($469) and a couple of Fox44 cards ($125ea)

That a damn good deal and I like wildcat very much. I'm wondering if you need to be a veteran or actually retired from a full 20 years of service.

That blackout pass magic offers for holiday weeks is creative. Those two would work together nicely.

RustyGroomer

Not suggesting a pass for that reason Deadhead. Just an invite for a day or whatever. Goes for anyone really. Just trying to spread the word on what I feel will be a great year for Magic.

Edit: Buy a pass :) Although I'd wait til we hear some news.

snoseek

Any idea when those fox 44 passes are available? That a damn fine deal.

Maybe I should plan on skiing around to different places this winter.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Not suggesting a pass for that reason Deadhead. Just an invite for a day or whatever. Goes for anyone really. Just trying to spread the word on what I feel will be a great year for Magic.

Edit: Buy a pass :) Although I'd wait til we hear some news.

Gotcha. Looking forward to my visit(s) there this season and your tour.

dlague

Any idea when those fox 44 passes are available? That a damn fine deal.

Maybe I should plan on skiing around to different places this winter.

Outside of a season pass, that combined with, Ski Vermont Passes, The Ride and Ski Card and I would even consider a Whaleback season pass for the Killington perk can give you a lot of variety at a somewhat manageable cost. A lot depends on where you will live.

VTKilarney

El Nino is going to blanket Tahoe with lots of snow this year... and now you are throwing in the towel?????

Blasphemy!

steamboat1

I would even consider a Whaleback season pass for the Killington perk can give you a lot of variety at a somewhat manageable cost.
Being he stated he's a veteran wouldn't he be able to get a free K Express card that would give him the same discount as a Whaleback pass? I'm not trying to knock Whaleback.

BenedictGomez

Smuggler's Notch

Passes there are cheap, rent in the area is reasonable, VT skiing > NH skiing, Burlington & civilization are nearby (also it's not far from Jay Peak).

dlague

Being he stated he's a veteran wouldn't he be able to get a free K Express card that would give him the same discount as a Whaleback pass? I'm not trying to knock Whaleback.

Funny you mentioned that - that is what I do. Why waste $99.

snoseek

El Nino is going to blanket Tahoe with lots of snow this year... and now you are throwing in the towel?????

Blasphemy!

You're probably correct but time will tell.
Every now and then I dabble in being an adult. I'm past 40 now and for me to continue on with my career I need to make a little sacrifice now and then. This is an opportunity to make a good chunk of money. I'll catch LA nina ( would rather bitch out on elnino vs lamina anyhow) somewhere real special. Its time maybe to move on from Tahoe at how....it was a fun four winters, lean but fun.

I'll likely get to take all of next winter off if I do this.

Newpylong

Yes but then he obviously wouldn't have the option of riding Whaleback, the Sunapee Discounts, or the year long free tune (if he's even close to West Lebanon). If the cost is similar and the aim is just to ski K I would rather support Whaleback and get the same discount than giving Killington my money directly. But that's just my opinion.

ScottySkis

Vermont ski card give you some really good deals midwek Stowe and Sugarbush might be half off it like 40/for card some mountain s are bug savings some not so much

Scruffy

So some folks I sorta like are opening a business and need some help and I'm considering giving them one year to get started. It sounds interesting and I'd be off sun/Mon/tues most weeks. I might do this vs going back to Tahoe. Next year I would go to Utah and start fresh.

Anyhow I'm looking for somewhere to ski that's fun, relatively cheap for a seasons pass and of course vintage new england. It needs to have somewhat cheap lodging close by. I see cannon offers a steeply discounted pass for nh residents that are also veterans, tempted but I grew up on cannon and a little burnt on it.

What about Vermont. I'm thinking maybe a hybrid pass at smuggs. I like hokey low key hills and it seems the snow is abundant ( when it snows). Stowe is too expensive. Killington is a little crazy but ski house options seem good. Jay/Burke pass? Loaf?

Man, I wasn't at all prepared to think about any of this. I guess its not a big deal in the end and I'm not at all bummed as Its temporary. Last time I stayed here for winter I had a fantastic time. Expectations are in check

So, you're not concerned with the drive from your friends business? correct? This business is not located near a ski resort anyway? You don't need to combine your residence with a ski house?

Just trying to understand your criteria for a mountain.

snoseek

Mass nh line...Salem nh area real close to 93. I work and live in the same place if this goes down. Driving is OK as it usually 3day weekends.

Lodging is an issue but I figure rent is free so I can burn some $$$$ on that. A ski house may be a good idea?