• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stein Erikson 12/11/27 - 12/27/15

KustyTheKlown

Stein Erikson passed today at 88, home in Park City.

A tremendous influencer to our sport and the style that goes with it.

Too bad no one can rip Stein's Run at the bush tomorrow in his honor.

Ski in peace.

dlague

In reading about him and learning a little more he had a decorated career in skiing. Consider him the inventor of Freestyle skiing. RIP Stein.

Brad J

Stein Erikson certainly was an iconic skier and brought skiing to incredible popularity in the 50's and 60's , his life long involvement in the sport is and hopefully always be appreciated in the ski community . Your work may be done but what you did will live on.

daffy

I had the thrill of skiing with Stein Eriksen once. We were on a business outing at Deer Valley and there were about 50 skiers given the chance to ski the mountain with Stein. Once we gathered at the top of the mountain, he must have realized it was too big a crowd and after a quick hello, zoom, he was off cutting GS or longer turns and in a few seconds he was hundreds of yards downhill. Me and a few other strong skiers took off after him in a break away group and did manage to take a few runs with him, which he was glad to do with a smaller group. This was also in the weeks leading up to the Lillehammer Olympics. On one ride up the chair, I asked if he was excited to have the Olympics in his native Norway, and he told us that he would be one of the honorees carrying the Olympic flag into the stadium. I thought that was the coolest thing ever...I got to ski with Stein, and what skier among us doesn't love the Olympics, and a week later this skiing legend was carrying the Olympic flag into the opening ceremonies.

Scruffy

I had the thrill of skiing with Stein Eriksen once. We were on a business outing at Deer Valley and there were about 50 skiers given the chance to ski the mountain with Stein. Once we gathered at the top of the mountain, he must have realized it was too big a crowd and after a quick hello, zoom, he was off cutting GS or longer turns and in a few seconds he was hundreds of yards downhill. Me and a few other strong skiers took off after him in a break away group and did manage to take a few runs with him, which he was glad to do with a smaller group. This was also in the weeks leading up to the Lillehammer Olympics. On one ride up the chair, I asked if he was excited to have the Olympics in his native Norway, and he told us that he would be one of the honorees carrying the Olympic flag into the stadium. I thought that was the coolest thing ever...I got to ski with Stein, and what skier among us doesn't love the Olympics, and a week later this skiing legend was carrying the Olympic flag into the opening ceremonies.

Very cool, dude!!!