• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stinky Street at Cannon

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Where in bloody hell is this supposed "new trail"? It is on the trail report, I don't remember seeing that one before. It isn't on the map yet as far as I can tell.

gregnye

It is probably around the backside of the lodge (where all the dumpsters are) :-D Thats why it is called "stinky street"

Last edited:

Cannonball

On Thursday they closed the Zoomer without closing the runs down to the chair. People had to walk all the way back to eagle cliff. Which is a long stinky uphill slog. Maybe that's the new trail. They must have been happy to break it out since it was about all they had open.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
On Thursday they closed the Zoomer without closing the runs down to the chair. People had to walk all the way back to eagle cliff. Which is a long stinky uphill slog.
:-o

Why did they close down the Zoomer lift? Was it something they had anticipated doing and failed to rope or was it an unexpected emergency for which they couldn't have gotten patrol to get the ropes up any sooner? Certainly a crap walk back to Peabody from Zoomer in alpine boots, that sucks.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
*Stinky Street is the joke of a trail that you take to access the turnpike glade.
Ha! Another worthless addition to bump the trail count. This might merit a separate thread but it would be interesting to compile a list of recently added trails for which there is no reason to add them other than to bump the trail count. As a criteria, I would suggest anything on the trail map for which the name of the trail is bigger than the actual trail in which the name is 50% on another trail. Such a list would include Mickey's Margin, David's Detour, Short Fuze, and MH Cut Thru. Also suspect is Red Ball gets two trail denotations including a Blue and a Green even though you can't ski the Green without first skiing the Blue. Zoomalanche was in a class of its own before "Skateway" was added. And I still have yet to ski "Lakeside" which, to the best of my knowledge, was simply for snow groomer machine traffic before being added to the map (wicked suspect!). Over in Tuckerbrook, Coyote Crossing and Fleitman are both traverses with uphill portions, suspect!! I'm surprised that "Mittersill Access" has not been added as an official trail. How long until they add the Mittersill trail names (originals and those made up) to the trail count? Any guesses? I give them two years before they add Mittersill "backcountry area" trail names to the official count AND they continue to call it a backcountry area.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
What's up with the new cut between Taft and Upper Ravine just after the Rock?
Haven't been up there yet this season, could you elaborate?

There are a few "short cuts" from Ravine into Taft above the rock and below Taft's cliff bands making accessing Taft ideal when coverage is thin. But not a full cut. Did they cut down a groomer width of trees or something? I can't imagine why they would do that... if they can't open Taft, they probably can't open Upper Hard either so it doesn't help them get more trails open sooner.

Puck it

Haven't been up there yet this season, could you elaborate?

There are a few "short cuts" from Ravine into Taft above the rock and below Taft's cliff bands making accessing Taft ideal when coverage is thin. But not a full cut. Did they cut down a groomer width of trees or something? I can't imagine why they would do that... if they can't open Taft, they probably can't open Upper Hard either so it doesn't help them get more trails open sooner.

Yeah, it is about groomer's width and about 50 to 75 ft long. I just don't remeber it being so blatant. Could be getting old.

BenedictGomez

As a criteria, I would suggest anything on the trail map for which the name of the trail is bigger than the actual trail in which the name is 50% on another trail.

It might be from the drinking last night, but I've read this 5 times and still dont understand.

gregnye

It might be from the drinking last night, but I've read this 5 times and still dont understand.

As a criteria, I would suggest anything on the trail map for which the name of the trail is bigger than the actual trail in which the name is 50% on another trail.

My translation: If the name of the trail is too long to fit in the space the trail occupies on the trailmap, it shouldn't be a trail. For instance, Middle Hardscrabble Cut thru should not be a trail according to this logic because it has to be abbreviated to "MH" Cut Thru"

Also Mickey's Margin shouldn't be a trail as well following this logic--it takes up the entire space of the trail on the trailmap--the same with "Ride Around" and David's Detour