• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stratton condos?

eggraid101

My family and I are heading up to Stratton at the very end of March for about 4-5 days. We've never been up there, but we get a deal with Intrawest so we thought we'd try it. I'm not sure where to find the best deal for lodging; we have done VRBO before, but it looks like there is nothing to speak of on there. We like to stay in a condo, and who doesn't want to be as close to the slopes as possible? Is booking through Stratton the only option?

tekweezle

Stratton has decent lift lodging deals at the Stratton Mountain Inn where you get the lift ticket included with cost of lodging. Depending on how many people and if they are skiing each day, could be most cost effective.

Lift tickets purchased on your own tend to be expensive unless you buy well in advance.

Good luck!

Sent from a Freedompop HTC Evo 4G

eggraid101

Stratton has decent lift lodging deals at the Stratton Mountain Inn where you get the lift ticket included with cost of lodging. Depending on how many people and if they are skiing each day, could be most cost effective.

Lift tickets purchased on your own tend to be expensive unless you buy well in advance.

Good luck!

I was kind of thinking of trying to link lodging and lift tix; the end of the season should bring a few spring deals is what I'm hoping. Ideally we would be in a condo with a kitchen rather than a hotel room, our family does best with that layout because we like to eat a lot.

tekweezle

I guess in the overall cost, there is a little give and take. If you get a house or condo with a kitchen and cook you could save a lot on food with the more people in your group.

I was just commenting on how ridiculous the window prices were for lift tickets. Stratton is definitely not the best in that area.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk

eggraid101

We have season passes at Snowshoe, WV, another Intrawest resort, and we get a $1000 credit to spend at other Intrawest resorts. Stratton is the only one within driving distance for us, and with 3 kids we aren't ready to fly until everyone can handle their own luggage. We thought it would be a good place to test the ski-travel waters with the whole family.

bzrperfspec77

I have stayed at the Long Trail House a few times because I wanted to treat my then at the time G/F and it was very nice. Great parking, not a bad hike to the lifts, plenty of food/drink options within the village (walking distance) and it was an overall beautiful place to stay. Depending on the room you have a view of the mountain or the area with the ice skating. Expensive tho, but like I said it was to make the ski trip that much more enjoyable (not for my pocket tho!)

I enjoy Stratton even tho it gets some negative reviews here, so make the most of it! Sounds like you have a pretty swig gig with that $1,000 credit.

Shoot me an email/PM if you want more information.

eggraid101

I have stayed at the Long Trail House a few times because I wanted to treat my then at the time G/F and it was very nice. Great parking, not a bad hike to the lifts, plenty of food/drink options within the village (walking distance) and it was an overall beautiful place to stay. Depending on the room you have a view of the mountain or the area with the ice skating. Expensive tho, but like I said it was to make the ski trip that much more enjoyable (not for my pocket tho!)

I enjoy Stratton even tho it gets some negative reviews here, so make the most of it! Sounds like you have a pretty swig gig with that $1,000 credit.

Shoot me an email/PM if you want more information.

I see Long Trail has 2 Br condos for $270, that could work nicely I think, it would be great to be that close to the slopes so we could come back for lunch.

It will be the end of March that we are coming, I'm really hoping there is still some snow in the trees, I've heard Stratton actually has some nice glades for intermediates. My kids would really enjoy them I think.

x10003q

There is a lot of slopeside and "realistic" walking distance townhouses and condos. Book thru Intrawest to use the $1000. Sometimes you can get better deals for tickets online with liftopia or even Stratton. Long Trail is quite nice and an easy walk, but it is not slopeside. Your best bet for slopeside would be Village Watch, Ober Tal, and some of the townhouses above OberTal off Shattarack Rd. There is also Mountain Reach, Village Sq and the Landmark, but those are uber expensive.

Styles Brook, Crown Point and Vantage Point are nice affordable townhouses that are on the easy to use shuttle. Do not count on going back for lunch.

mriceyman

I see Long Trail has 2 Br condos for $270, that could work nicely I think, it would be great to be that close to the slopes so we could come back for lunch.

It will be the end of March that we are coming, I'm really hoping there is still some snow in the trees, I've heard Stratton actually has some nice glades for intermediates. My kids would really enjoy them I think.

There is definitly some intermediate glades. Over by the snowbowl i know theres some blue glades that are very mellow. If winter keeps goin like this then there will be plenty of snow left in the woods

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

eggraid101

Thanks for the insight. We're OK walking a little bit; the place we stay in at Snowshoe is just on the other side of the ridge from the slopes; we have to climb 96 stairs with boots & skis :)

tekweezle

Just for comparison shopping, Stratton has a promotion on their website for 1 night and 2 day liftickets for 2 people for $199. That's 4 total lift tickets plus night of lodging.

They've got other deals to that I see on their website like children ski and stay free, 2 nights and 2 day lift tickets for 79$. There are probably restrictions and other gotchas like must be midweek but if you have a $1000 credit you might be able to make it work.

One thing I will say about Stratton is that it's expensive and they rarely have any intriguing deals that doesn't benefit them. However they really try to lure you into staying with their lift lodging deals. Keep in mind that a single day ticket is a ridiculous $94 plus tax I think(effectively $99). People still pay it.

Another deal that might be helpful is they sell a 4 pack of afternoon tickets for $129. Have to be used same day but you want to sleep in after going crazy on day 1, it might be useful. I also notice that day 2 a lot of the less committed tend to rise late or skip the day entirely.

Enjoy your trip!

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

xlr8r

It looks like you have 4 passes with $250 Intrawest snowbucks to use each. Here is the snowbucks FAQ
http://media.intrawest.com/Stratton/pdf/snowbucks-faq.pdf

I have a Stratton pass and am going to use my snowbucks to buy lift tickets to Winter Park in March. That pays for a 3 day ticket roughly, and I am buying lodging separately on expedia for roughly $100 a night. The tricky part is with these Intrawest snowbucks is that they cannot be used on promotions I believe. So you can either use on lift tickets or lodging, but not lift and lodging packages. However when you use them on lift tickets, you must purchase in advance based on the online rate which is a discount over the window rate.

So I don't believe you can use the $1000 on a package. You could use the $1000 on lift tickets only and that will allow you to stay somewhere cheaper off mountain. As far as Intrawest properties go, the Black Bear Lodge, formerly the Stratton Inn, is a nice hotel, was completely renovated a year ago, and is cheaper than the Long Trail house or Condos. However the Long Trail house probably is a lot more comfortable for a family of 4 or more though. If you use the $1000 on lodging be sure to buy your tickets on liftopia.com, as they have a ton of discounts for Stratton.

Last edited:

eggraid101

We do have the snow bucks, xlr8r, so that's a good point about how we can use them. I hadn't looked into exactly what was covered with he snow bucks, thanks for that link, it clears things up. I guess that's why I was hoping to find non-Stratton lodging deals - find an inexpensive condo, pay with cash, then use snow bucks for the (outrageous) lift tix. It looks like finding the inexpensive condo may trip us up. How far a drive is Tremblant? ;)

Last edited:

eggraid101

Looks like Liftopia has tix for three days on those dates, $129 adults and $99 kids. So that's $43 and $33/day. Thats not bad, we'll prob use the snow bucks for lodging at Long Trail House and then get lift tickets on Liftopia. Keeping our fingers crossed there's still some snow in the glades, but if not, still a fun trip I'm sure.

xlr8r

That seems like a good plan, keeps your lift ticket rates to roughly $100 per person. Long Trail house is very nice, and getting a few nights free is a great deal. FYI there are other fun things to do in the area, Manchester is a nice place to visit if you want a day off from skiing, lots of outlet stores. Also Bromley and Magic are nearby if you want to ski someplace besides Stratton.

eggraid101

Thanks, it'll be an ~ 8 hr drive for us so it would be fun to check out an area we don't get to very often.

tekweezle

If you get X2 cards, the discounts are bigger on the weekdays. Skiing Saturdays especially at Stratton can be a zoo at times(maybe not so bad at the time period you will be there) . One strategy you might try is skiing the weekend days at Bromley and Magic and weekdays at Stratton.

But of course everything is relative to which mountain is most convenient and has best conditions so choose what works for you.

xlr8r

If you get X2 cards, the discounts are bigger on the weekdays. Skiing Saturdays especially at Stratton can be a zoo at times(maybe not so bad at the time period you will be there) . One strategy you might try is skiing the weekend days at Bromley and Magic and weekdays at Stratton.

But of course everything is relative to which mountain is most convenient and has best conditions so choose what works for you.

yeah but the X2 cards are about $90 each and only include 1 day. Then the discounts start after the first day, so for 3 days midweek you are looking at something like ~$90 + ~$45 + ~$45 = over $180. You should be able to do much better that that on liftopia.com, especially if it is midweek in March. X2 only works if you are going to use it for 6-10 days