• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stuck in Stowe with the car in the shop

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
so im stuck in stowe while the guy at the garage lets me know my level of screwed. car made some funny noises this morning so i decided to take it into the shop might have to stay an extra night. need some sugestions on non skiing stuff to do.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hopefully you didn't go to Mountain Road Auto; Yaya is the biggest rip off artist in that town if he's still around. Willy's is whom I always recommend.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Certainly not a terrible place to be stuck overnight. :D I don't have any suggestions; last time I was in that area, I was pregnant so I couldn't even ski. But I'm sure you'll find something to do.

Mildcat

This isn't fair, I drive the biggest POS's and I never get to break down while I'm at a mountain. :angry: :grin:

Why not just go skiing?

Philpug

so im stuck in stowe while the guy at the garage lets me know my level of screwed. car made some funny noises this morning so i decided to take it into the shop might have to stay an extra night. need some sugestions on non skiing stuff to do.

Thats, my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
January 2006, on my last day in Killington, I pull into the lot (4th parking space) and the lot guy is trying to line me up with the car next to me. I had already put my car in Park, but he wanted me to pull forward a bit, so I put the car into Drive and my car starts to go backwards. They guy looked at my like I was a bit slow upstairs, and I guess the WTF look on my face didn't help. I put the car in Neutral and let it roll forwards. He walked away, and I tried to go into Drive again and the car still went backwards. Crap.

I got the car towed to Habro the Pirate 's place. Not having much options, I went skiing until they called me. I got about 4 hours of skiing in and they gave me a call. I un-booted and caught The Bus down there. Good news, they know what's wrong. Bad news, they can't fix it.

The cable between the gear selector and the transmission had snapped. No way to splice a temp piece in. So I ask the mechanic to show me where the lever on the transmission it. At it would turn out, I can reach it easily from under the hood. Good enough for me.

So the rest of the ride home was like an episode of Keystone Cops.
Pull e-brake, pop hood, run around to front of car, push lever one click down, get back in car, release e-brake, back up out of the garage, pull e-brake, push lever down two more clicks, close hood, release e-brake and drive home. I had to stop for gas in Rutland, so pull e-brake, pop hood, pull lever up three clicks, partially close hood, turn off ingition, fill up, pay cahsier, start car, push lever down three clicks, close hood and I'm on my way.

I get about 2 exits on Rt 4......when I realize that I left my skis locked up back on the mountain. Double crap. Make illegial u-turn, drive all the way back to K, pull up to 15 minure parking, pull-ebrake, pop hood, pull lever three clicks up, close hood, turn off car, get skis, start car, pop hood, push lever down one click, release e-brake, back up, pull e-brake, push lever down two clicks, close hood and I'm back on my way.

I'm sure you can picture the process when I took a rest-room break on the Thruway.

Drove the car right to Barry's auto and had my wife pick me up there. It took them 2 days to get Toyota to deliver a new cable. I'm sure that it would have taken even longer in Vermont. What an adventure that was.

bvibert

Staff member
Back in my younger days I converted a truck with a dying manual tranny to an automatic and drove around for a few weeks with the access cover off so I could reach through the hole in the floor to shift into gear. Having to pop the hood and get out sounds much more comical. :)

Geoff

I snapped the 3-on-the-tree gearshift on the car I had at UVM back in the late-1970's. It was January, I was supposed to be going skiing, and I snapped the thing off because my manual transmission was frozen solid in the subzero temperatures. I ended up driving the thing like that back to my home town in Massachusetts. I drove around town in 2nd gear riding the clutch to get going. When I got to I-89, I got to the first downhill stretch, stopped the car, crawled under, put it in 3rd gear, and rode the clutch to get it going. The Hooksett toll was my only real challenge.

I also used to break the mechanical clutch linkage once in a while on that car. I got pretty good at driving it with no clutch. It's probably not very good for the starter to start it in gear but it got me to where I could repair the linkage.

BeanoNYC

Don't have time the other responses. Sorry oif this has been said.

Rent some snowhoes at trapp family lodge. Hike to the gift shop and have lunch.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Back in my younger days I converted a truck with a dying manual tranny to an automatic and drove around for a few weeks with the access cover off so I could reach through the hole in the floor to shift into gear. Having to pop the hood and get out sounds much more comical. :)

What was a dying tranny doing in your truck, oh, nevermind.....:lol: