• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stupid Things Dogs Do

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Our precious little cocker-poodle ate another sock last night. Wouldn't ordinarily be newsworthy except that the sock was as long as she is, stem to stern. She then walks around thrusting as if she's going to mess all over the house.

My wife says late at night, before she shuts off the tele, the dog eventually upchucks it like clockwork. Me? I go to bed, I have no use for that sort of entertainment. I think my wife thinks she needs to be there for the dog. I have a different attitude: stupid is as stupid does. And the dog never learns. The dog has done this about a half dozen times.

campgottagopee

Dang, that could be real, real dangerous for your pooch. I'd be careful letting him/her getting a hold of those darn socks, or just get a bigger dog:grin:

Dr Skimeister

Our precious little cocker-poodle ate another sock last night. Wouldn't ordinarily be newsworthy except that the sock was as long as she is, stem to stern. She then walks around thrusting as if she's going to mess all over the house.

My wife says late at night, before she shuts off the tele, the dog eventually upchucks it like clockwork. Me? I go to bed, I have no use for that sort of entertainment. I think my wife thinks she needs to be there for the dog. I have a different attitude: stupid is as stupid does. And the dog never learns. The dog has done this about a half dozen times.

Time to practice prevention-dog doesn't have access to socks.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Time to practice prevention-dog doesn't have access to socks.

Well, that's the problem. She can only get to socks in the laundry room. She's banished from the bedrooms by a gate. What she does is wait until someone goes in, forgets to close the door and bolts into the laundry room, jumps and grabs something from the hamper, tears back out and hides under the farthest table, wolfing it down.

I have had the honor of extracting them from her throat before.

Do you think maybe we should start feeding her? ;)

Dr Skimeister

What evolutionary impulse or domesticating feck up would explain such a behavior?

It was explained to me once as such......

Garment-injesting dogs tend to go for garments that have the strongest scent of the person to which they are most bonded.

The most common article of clothes I've harvested from dogs are socks and women's underwear.

*shrug*

hammer

We've had our fair share of stuff that our puppy's eaten...gum, mushrooms outside, mulch, pieces of rug and backing, etc. And we're quite vigilant.

And yes, the smellier the better...our pup loves nothing more than to roll in dead toad. :-x

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
It was explained to me once as such......

Garment-injesting dogs tend to go for garments that have the strongest scent of the person to which they are most bonded.

The most common article of clothes I've harvested from dogs are socks and women's underwear.

*shrug*

They say men are like dogs and women like cats. I buy into that except for the sock thing....

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Not to seem like an ahole, billski, but I was laughing pretty hard at your story. Call me cruel, but that's pretty funny.

Does not bother me; that dog is not very beloved to me - my family wanted it. My wife used to say the dog was pretty smart until she watched the dog for a while.

We have a glass door between the dining room and kitchen. We closed it one day while we were eating dinner, she was on the wrong side. She sat there whining for 10 minutes staring at us. Now, our house has an open floor plan. All she had to do is turn around, go through the family room and enter the kitchen through that passage. After 10 mins, my daughter had to SHOW HER how to go around. (Mind you, this dog had lived in the house for a year at this point.)
A month later, the same thing happened AGAIN.:dunce:

Now everyone in my house agrees it's a pretty dumb dog.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Yeah, dogs can be pretty stupid. Ours likes to shred and then eat tissues. Roll on worms (she does a nice little worm discovery dance first so you know she found one). I think she's been rolling in poop again, too. Had to give her a bath right before class recently thanks to that fun doggy trait. :puke: Ours never went after shoes or socks, but if she finds underwear, she'll lick it. Ewww. She also licks the shoe rack, the threshold, the couch, and cushions.

Strange little animals.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Yeah, dogs can be pretty stupid. Ours likes to shred and then eat tissues. Roll on worms (she does a nice little worm discovery dance first so you know she found one). I think she's been rolling in poop again, too. Had to give her a bath right before class recently thanks to that fun doggy trait. :puke: Ours never went after shoes or socks, but if she finds underwear, she'll lick it. Ewww. She also licks the shoe rack, the threshold, the couch, and cushions.

Strange little animals.

A lot like men, huh?
:blink:

Warp Daddy

My daughter's dog a Kelpie a VERY active breed- was visiting his "other " in- laws for Thanksgiving . T

Since they aren't dog friendly, he was confined to the attached heated garage . On the way home to Boston area teh dog became very restless and next day he became ill and was given to hurling, seizures etc etc and he was looking not sooo good ( he's 13 yrs old ) He was FARTING god awful all the way home to Boston area - Godawful SMELL, a 7 hr journey with 2 small kids , 2 adults and the the worst Putrfaction factory imaginable all in a damn Forester -- got the picture

He was general in great shape up till this point so this was cause for concern just as they were ready to pack him off to the vet for a visit The Farting was god awful

Just as they're ready to go BEAR lets loose and a white object appeared out his nether region and he let go with a crapload -- HE had Eaten the Turkey Basting Bag --- Hence his new name "TURKEYBAG "

BTW he's still around :D

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Our dog will occasionally eat tootsie rolls of the cat litter box, and most definitely enjoyed biscuits from the manure pile back in Vermont. The worst, though, was when another dog, whom we no longer have, ate a cherry popsicle out of the bathroom trash (which had a lid on it, too).

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Our dog will occasionally eat tootsie rolls of the cat litter box, and most definitely enjoyed biscuits from the manure pile back in Vermont. The worst, though, was when another dog, whom we no longer have, ate a cherry popsicle out of the bathroom trash (which had a lid on it, too).

that's really gross. (And I used to work on a dairy farm and saw some pretty disgusting stuff.)
no dog is gonna lick me ever again....

Last edited: