• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush 2/17-2/19

sankaty

Date(s) Skied: 2/17-2/19

Resort or Ski Area: Sugarbush

Conditions: PP/P with a little hardpack

Trip Report:

Skied Monday through Wednesday at Sugarbush. Conditions were mostly excellent, improving each day with several inches of snow both Tuesday (5") and Wednesday (2") afternoons.

Where was everyone? I couldn't believe how empty it was for a holiday week with good snow.

Most of the groomers were in good shape, with higher traffic areas getting predictably scraped. As the new snow fell, though, hardpack was harder and harder to find.

Many of the natural snow trails had thin spots, but these were mostly easy to avoid. Paradise and Middle Earth were fun, but a bit thin on Monday. Moguls on Ripcord under the Heaven's Gate lift were great, as was Spillsville. Lixie's Twist and Moonshine were both fantastic.

Stein's Run was terrible with large frictionless expanses between huge bumps. There seems to be something about the steep, ungroomed snowmaking trails that inhibits adhesion of new snow.

Woods were fun, but could still use a bit more snow, which is remarkable considering they got 30" earlier in the week. It must have been pretty grim before the big storm.

sankaty

You didn't ski Mount Ellen?

We didn't. We had kids in the ski school at Lincoln for just the first half of the day. Getting to Ellen and back would have taken too much of a bite out of our limited adult ski time, and when we were skiing with the kids, Lincoln was so nice with the fresh snow falling.

I haven't skied Mount Ellen in a long time. Does it offer much over Lincoln?

bzrperfspec77

I personally enjoyed Mt. Ellen more than Lincoln, but it was the opposite for my G/F when we went up there. We were up there with marginal conditions though, just wish we put the trip off a week and we would have been golden! Oh well. Maybe next time I will be able to hook up with WWF-VT (I think thats your name on here) and take him up on that offer for a tour!

I will be back sooner or later. I really enjoyed Exterminator (I think that was the name) that was on skiers left.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Why would the snow quality on Mt Ellen be different?

I went to Sugarbush last year for the first time. was really hoping to get to Mt Ellen but unfortunately I just didn't have the time considering I was there with my son. Most of my days were only 1/2 day of skiing :)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Why would the snow quality on Mt Ellen be different?

I went to Sugarbush last year for the first time. was really hoping to get to Mt Ellen but unfortunately I just didn't have the time considering I was there with my son. Most of my days were only 1/2 day of skiing :)

Less traffic, better exposure, (slightly) higher elevation, different snowmaking strategy (specifically less water in snow).

sankaty

Sounds like we should make an extra effort to ski Ellen on our next visit. Thanks for the info! Lincoln was great (and not crowded) when we were there, so no real regrets.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Love Mt Ellen but unfortunately I don't get over there as much as I'd like, as I'm usually stuck at Lincoln Peak. Love their lifts, so comfortable and fast, and some great uncrowded terrain.

xwhaler

Did a late March spring day at Ellen a few yrs ago.....65 and bluebird on the hill, lapped the massive bumps on FIS and Exterminator and then enjoyed a couple cold ones from Glen House deck. Such an awesome day

Sent from my VS980 4G using AlpineZone mobile app

Savemeasammy

Date(s) Skied: 2/17-2/19

Resort or Ski Area: Sugarbush

Conditions: PP/P with a little hardpack

Trip Report:

Skied Monday through Wednesday at Sugarbush. Conditions were mostly excellent, improving each day with several inches of snow both Tuesday (5") and Wednesday (2") afternoons.

Where was everyone? I couldn't believe how empty it was for a holiday week with good snow.

Most of the groomers were in good shape, with higher traffic areas getting predictably scraped. As the new snow fell, though, hardpack was harder and harder to find.

Many of the natural snow trails had thin spots, but these were mostly easy to avoid. Paradise and Middle Earth were fun, but a bit thin on Monday. Moguls on Ripcord under the Heaven's Gate lift were great, as was Spillsville. Lixie's Twist and Moonshine were both fantastic.

Stein's Run was terrible with large frictionless expanses between huge bumps. There seems to be something about the steep, ungroomed snowmaking trails that inhibits adhesion of new snow.

Woods were fun, but could still use a bit more snow, which is remarkable considering they got 30" earlier in the week. It must have been pretty grim before the big storm.

The past two times I went to Sugarbush, Stein's was terrible. Widely spaced GS bumps like you described. I think it is trafficked by a high number of lower-level skiers who want to claim they skied this signature run. They make wide, scraping turns, and the result is wide, terrible bumps! The Mall right next door is a much better run.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

MadMadWorld

The past two times I went to Sugarbush, Stein's was terrible. Widely spaced GS bumps like you described. I think it is trafficked by a high number of lower-level skiers who want to claim they skied this signature run. They make wide, scraping turns, and the result is wide, terrible bumps! The Mall right next door is a much better run.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

It gets better in spring. Then again all bumps get better in spring.

STREETSKIER

Less people, better snow quality, faster lifts. So yes.
Not this year - tough season - lift problems lack of snowmaking ,let it go !! South is for me ,also park rats run rampant there .I think the vibe is a
dying mt ,most snowmaking went for The park !!not the club it used to be ,they can hardly give it away.

Last edited:

Madroch

Love Ellen- spent two of our four days there 2/5 through 2/10- packed due to bravo down at south- but the natty trails don't get quote the traffic - tumbler, hammerhead, bravo, encore, black diamond all thin but good.. I'll take it. Still love lower fis and southbound- with a nice hike out to warm you up....

WWF-VT

Not this year - tough season - lift problems lack of snowmaking ,let it go !! South is for me ,also park rats run rampant there .I think the vibe is a
dying mt ,most snowmaking went for The park !!not the club it used to be ,they can hardly give it away.

Mt Ellen has been the better option on weekends this season - unless you like to spend time in lift lines at Lincoln Peak.